How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-14-2003, 06:07 AM
tag007

Anyone changed out a SVX windshield?

Had this over in the Tech QA, thought I would drop it here too.
I am needing to change out a windshield. I have picked up a salvaged one recently, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this?
The windshield is currently rather fixed to the rubber gasket, and it seems that this is completely in tack. I have also noticed plastic fasteners attached to it and a thin bead of the original adhesive.
It seems that the adhesive is the only thing that secures the windshield...If anyone knows if I will need a new gasket, and if so, how to remove the old one, , or what exactly I might need to do.

Thanks.

-Trent
Old 04-14-2003, 07:30 AM
abrasive personality

Send a message via AIM to NomadTW
push out from the inside
i'll pop right out

all cars are required to have a quick removal windshield, for safety purposes as a method of escape fromt he car

putting the new one in, and sealing it properly is a different story
Old 04-14-2003, 08:11 AM
iyamwutiam

wINDSHIELd

pLEASE TELL ME THE STORY OF PUTTING IT IN - AS i HAVE LOCATED MY WINDSHIELD. aND THE PLACE WILL NOT DO THIS FOR ME.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:15 AM
Multiple Suby Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by NomadTW
push out from the inside it'll pop right out
all cars are required to have a quick removal windshield, for safety purposes as a method of escape fromt he car

Where did you get this info from?
Most windshields these days are installed using urethane caulk.The only way to remove them without destroying them is to cut them out and sometimes they break in the process.
That stuff is so strong the the windshield becomes an integral part of the body.
The rubber around the outside is probably just a trim piece and is usually replaced when the winshield is replaced.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:37 PM
abrasive personality

Send a message via AIM to NomadTW
iduno where i got it, it was told to me by someone.
made sense and they're usually right abotu this type of thing... so i had no reason to doubt
Old 04-15-2003, 07:45 AM

Sube did ours when new as it wobbles and creaked in it's frame. No probs since itwas done. Actually they just resealed the orig glass-no new glass.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:13 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by nubs

Where did you get this info from?
Most windshields these days are installed using urethane caulk.The only way to remove them without destroying them is to cut them out and sometimes they break in the process.
That stuff is so strong the the windshield becomes an integral part of the body.
The rubber around the outside is probably just a trim piece and is usually replaced when the winshield is replaced.
This is why you should have the windshield installed by a professional glass installer. The glass becomes a structural member of the vehicle. The adhesives used are very strong and usually have a specific pre-cleaning, prep, and application method to ensure a proper bond. I wouldn't try this one at home.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:31 AM
tag007

I had no intention of doing this myself. The problem is, the auto glass installer where I live, has never done one either, I just want to make sure I have as much info, and any related parts, I need in order to get this done correctly. So again. If there is anyone of here that has first hand experience with this, and do i need to change out the rubber dam even though it seems perfectly intact, let me know...