How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-11-2002, 08:58 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Unhappy i've got a noise too

I noticed this today after I got out of work, and just tried to find the source of it w/ little luck. So here it goes....

There's a repeating noise coming out of the engine bay. As RPM's increase the noise is made more rapidly, and slows as RPM's decrease. It sounds like air being forced out of a small hole, kinda a tshhp tshhp tshhp noise. It is coming from the front of the engine, seams to be under the alternator, I can hear it best when the fans are off and i put my ear over the alternator and then move it back towards the front of the engine, so my ear is facing the cam shaft.

Today was the 1st time i've ever used the AC in this car, and it was 76 outside...I thought that may have something to do w/ it, but I just tried turing the AC on and it made no difference. Oh, and I also pulled off that belt cover, so it's not rubbing on that, and from what I can see the belts aren't rubbing on anything, the belts apear to be in good condition, although the tension seams to be a little high, but that could be the specs for it, as I dont know what it is. Also all the fluids are full, could use a quart of oil...

Any thoughts?
Old 04-11-2002, 09:36 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
It's too far forward to be a muffler bearing so it might be the buttwhacker valve.

Seriously, get a piece of garden hose or similar, about a foot long or so and use it as a stethoscope to pinpoint from where the noise is coming. If need be, come back to us with your findings.
Old 04-11-2002, 09:40 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
It's too far forward to be a muffler bearing so it might be the buttwhacker valve.

Seriously, get a piece of garden hose or similar, about a foot long or so and use it as a stethoscope to pinpoint from where the noise is coming. If need be, come back to us with your findings.
I usually use a stethoscope, good thing I work for the medical feld, so I have access to free ones Just think next time your at the dr, where was this before it was on me
Old 04-11-2002, 09:41 PM
deadeye95

My bolts holding the intake manifold to the engine (behind the alternator) had loosened to the point that I could turn them by hand. Could tighten all but one with a socket.

They did this all by themselves.....
Old 04-11-2002, 09:43 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I keep two in my toolbox, one complete and one with the diaphragm and probe removed. There's a vast difference in what you can detect between the two.