Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-12-2003, 08:56 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thanks for the encouragement Harry. I started with a 49 on the first run, then dropped to 46, then 45, then 44. The svx felt very good in the wet, even with azenis which are pretty much worthless in standing water.
I had an instructor ride along on the first one to give me some tips, then solo'd the last 3. I was really comfortable in the car - even when the tail end came loose it was very manageable and I could drift through with some help from the throttle.

I ran the first one in 2nd but I found the best method to be leaving the gearbox in 1st to get as much use from engine braking as possible. I found it much easier to run through the slalom portions by using the engine braking rather than the brake pedal There were 2 places on the course where it would shift into 2nd (about 55mph or so?) and that was right before a sharp curve - which meant I had to brake instead of letting off the gas to slow down since it wanted to unlock when it hit 2nd - these were the corners where I ended up drifting through each time. I need more practice.

It was hard to judge what speed to come into a corner in the wet - as evidenced by many 360's throughout the event.

I wish I could have re-run it in the afternoon once it dried out - would have been interesting to see what time I could have got.

I'm hooked - now I see why you love auto-x so much and why you feel the svx is so well suited for it. Even with my car flipping 199k miles on the way to the event (and every one of those miles on the original struts and springs) I'd say we did pretty well for the first time out.

Next suby meet we need to find a large empty lot and some cones - I'm sure everyone would have a great time and learn alot about their cars.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:14 PM
check out www.planetsvx.com

you have no reason

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
That was my second ever auto-x. Those guys are regulars and their cars are far from stock. The Saturn guy runs on R-Compounds and he even changes his brake pads before every race.
to apologize for anything Dave....
just like you said usually when times are better then
yours its because of more experienced drivers..
As long as you had fun and got to learn more things
about you and how you drive your car is whats important...

I used to go out and do that stuff every weekend
for fun, and mostly raced against myself...that was
the most fun

The pic says it all !!

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 10-13-2003, 11:32 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Congrats Matt! It is definitely addictive - Harry got me hooked on it, now I just wish I didn't keep having family and career stuff get in the way of racing. The next - and season ending - session up here is in November over in Winchester, VA -- I will be there to run!!
-Bill (getting his camping gear packed so he'll be ready to claim an open spot in November)

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 10-13-2003, 11:59 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Doing

Hi everyone, Congratulations to all you doer's out there. I don't think anyone thinks your next race will be Daytona. You all did the best you could, and I'm sure you all learned a great deal. Next time you can only get better. I'll paraphrase a little here. "ah, a person and their SVX. I's a beautiful thing" Take care all, BOBB
Old 10-13-2003, 01:20 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
Rainy weather... results...

Here's the link with results
http://www.warpthree.com/ccr/results...l&sortby=class
Bhahahahh DUDE THATS AWESOME! YOU ALMOST BEAT AN STi!!!!!! AHAHhhaHAHAH BAD-ASS my friend!

- Rob
Old 10-15-2003, 06:52 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thanks guys! I thought for sure you were gonna make fun of my times, Rob.
The best part of being that close to a few sti's is they ran in the afternoon - once the course had dried out. Most of the "slower" cars ran in the rain in the morning - standing water all over the course!
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 10-15-2003, 06:56 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

No way. If you can almost keep up with STis, thats darn impressive. congrats man!
Old 10-15-2003, 07:19 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Well, in their defense, it was most likely their first time autocrossing the sti. The guys with some seat time totally destroyed me. You can really see the driver difference in Porter's 40 second run vs. another guy who codrove the same forester and was 2 seconds slower. There were a bunch of other co-driven cars with similar results.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:07 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Porter in a Forester???

What in the world was Porter doing driving a Forester?
All that cutting edge suspension work to his SVX and he's driving a Forester in the autocross? This must seriously violate some unpublished law of SVX-ownership
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 10-15-2003, 11:28 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Yeah, I was really hoping Porter would put his money where his mouth is so we can see how well that $1400 suspension system works. Come on Porter. Show me the money, and I'll show you mine! (my money)

- Rob
Old 10-16-2003, 05:42 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
This was no ordinary forester.....

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...uby/12395.jpeg

Note the STI pieces under the hood and modified suspension. This thing was so strange to watch run - no body roll, looked like the hearse from hell.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:24 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Matt,
I see what you mean...is there something in the water down in Atlanta...first the Braves lose to the Cubs, then they start investing big $$ modifying Foresters with STi parts
-Bill (wondering what the Forester's polar moment of inertia must be like compared to the SVX's)

My Locker
Old 10-16-2003, 08:48 PM
Porter

Heh, the Forester is a beast.

My best run was during the Challenge runs at the end, it was a 39.4xx.. a lot of people were suprised to see me out there beating STis in a Turbo Forester. I LOVE that thing. If only I had the money...

I built the Forester about 2 weeks ago as a project for work... it has a JIC coilover suspension modified from a WRX fitment, an STi rear strut tower bar, an STi intercooler, a Random Technology cat-back exhaust, and an STi short shifter. The OZ Superlegerra wheels and S-03s did some good as well... the whole package is kind of sick. It's pushing somewhere in the 240hp range, with the close ratio box and the shorter sidewalls on the tires it's set up very well for autocross.

This week I'll be adding a few more choice parts to dial out the last bit of body roll and pump it up another 60hp or so.

Matt did GREAT in his SVX!!! Everybody was commenting on how cool it sounds with the crazy exhaust. Several people have commented to me (including some SOA regional folks) how we need to get more SVX owners out to the events. I hope you'll come to more autocrosses, Matt! You're a natural!

As for the Forester's exhaust, let's just say it's low enough that when I parked for lunch today, I set off two car alarms at idle. I love this damn thing.

Last edited by Porter; 10-16-2003 at 08:51 PM.