How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-16-2017, 12:25 PM

Tick Tick Tick

A quiet ticking sound has developed in my '95
It is not related to revs. It seems to be coming from the area behind the gearstick/radio. I first noticed it via radio interference. It ticks about 4 times a second, and continues with the motor off but ignition on. It is no more obvious from the engine bay side than inside the car. My mechanic could offer no suggestions. Anyone got any ideas? regards DonMac
Old 02-16-2017, 09:42 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Tick Tick Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmac45 View Post
A quiet ticking sound has developed in my '95
It is not related to revs. It seems to be coming from the area behind the gearstick/radio. I first noticed it via radio interference. It ticks about 4 times a second, and continues with the motor off but ignition on. It is no more obvious from the engine bay side than inside the car. My mechanic could offer no suggestions. Anyone got any ideas? regards DonMac
Not sure if this is helpful but through the radio generally indicates a bad grounding issue, not necessarily in the radio but somewhere.

Also could indicate a bad coil, though when engine is off you would think it would not be making any more noise.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:55 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

When you say gear shift/radio I presume you mean it's not coming over the speakers.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:21 PM

Not a mechanic, but to me it sounds like a failing relay of some sort. I have no idea what would be in that area, but presumably it would affect some electrical system. Any other weird effects noted, perhaps sunroof operation or interior lighting?
Truly a shot in the dark.
If you find a cause and a fix, please post your story.

Owen
Old 02-17-2017, 08:13 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Something stuck in the a/c heater fan? maple seed, pine needle etc.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:28 AM
eg33svx95

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
Something stuck in the a/c heater fan? maple seed, pine needle etc.
The a/c heater fan is located on the far right side of the vehicle, above the passenger feet.
Brilliant Red 95 SVX L AWD 149K miles - #904/1801, 08 STI 6MT with DCCD & VSS, ACT SB10 HDSS, 6MT bushings, DW200 Fuel pump, 17x7.5 VX-SCYTHE Wheels, 17x8 BBS STI Wheels,PERRIN CRANK PULLEY, 911 Turbo oil filter,$15/15min MOD & $20/20min Mod, Brontrager WORKS 22mm RSB w/ QS component endlinks, SS Brake Lines, DDM TUNING 6000K HID LOWS, Hella Optilux Extreme Yellow Fog Lights,Window scratcher fix, JDM Clear Corners

My Locker
Old 02-21-2017, 03:39 AM

Seems to be coming from smallish grey box under the carpet in the lefthand side front passenger footwell - on the right side.
RHD vehicle. What does the box do? -didnt want to dissconnect to see any numbers etc.
regards
DonMac
Old 02-21-2017, 10:38 PM
eg33svx95

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmac45 View Post
Seems to be coming from smallish grey box under the carpet in the lefthand side front passenger footwell - on the right side.
RHD vehicle. What does the box do? -didnt want to dissconnect to see any numbers etc.
regards
DonMac
Given you have a RHD vehicle it alters the location of the modules and timers. I believe for proper identification it would be ideal if you snapped a picture and uploaded for us to decipher.

On a LHD vehicle the only "box" by the passengers feet is the door lock timer and a pair of relays for the blower motor.

-Sam
Brilliant Red 95 SVX L AWD 149K miles - #904/1801, 08 STI 6MT with DCCD & VSS, ACT SB10 HDSS, 6MT bushings, DW200 Fuel pump, 17x7.5 VX-SCYTHE Wheels, 17x8 BBS STI Wheels,PERRIN CRANK PULLEY, 911 Turbo oil filter,$15/15min MOD & $20/20min Mod, Brontrager WORKS 22mm RSB w/ QS component endlinks, SS Brake Lines, DDM TUNING 6000K HID LOWS, Hella Optilux Extreme Yellow Fog Lights,Window scratcher fix, JDM Clear Corners

My Locker