SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2002, 09:48 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Question Install a WRX CD changer in an SVX?

Quote:
cjoffe wrote on 12-30-2002 09:16 PM (in a PM to me):
I think I'm going to put a WRX changer into [my SVX]. Will that plug right up or do I need to do some wiring???
I'm certain the WRX uses a different connector, so yes, it will take some extra wiring.

Sounds like you're thinking of doing the same thing "SVXDriver" did -- he bought an SVX harness from me, got a WRX plug (what mates with the WRX changer; he called it an "RS harness") from somewhere else, wired the two together, and used that to install a Subaru 6-CD changer in his SVX. Perhaps he can tell us where he got the RS/WRX harness (I've sent him a message asking him to post a follow-up here).

You can see pictures of SVXDriver's install in his locker, here. Looks pretty snazzy -- like his SVX came from Subaru with that radio.
Old 12-31-2002, 09:19 AM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

I'd be interested in this too - I don't like the look of most aftermarket double-DIN units (too garish in most cases) and I'd like the reliability of something less than 10 years old.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 12-31-2002, 09:34 AM

I'm not sure how much $$ we're talking here, but I would assume the WRX unit isn't cheap.

Anyway, have you looked at Nakamichi units. Single din, 6 cd changers, understated appearance.

OEM site here: http://www.nakamichiusa.com/auto/mus...b_75_specs.htm

For sale in the US here:
http://www.thezeb.com/caraudio/nakamichi.html
Old 12-31-2002, 11:16 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
I'm not sure how much $$ we're talking here, but I would assume the WRX unit isn't cheap.
Actually, used ones are apparently easy to find -- the WRX owners waste no time replacing them with aftermarket receivers.

I didn't see this other thread, WRX SVX CD Changer Fit?, until after I started this new one.

So recapping:
yes, a WRX changer will fit the SVX
yes, used WRX CD changers can be found cheap
and yes, it's fairly easy to wire it up (after you buy the right pieces)

Just need to hear back from SVXDriver (or anyone else) where you can get a harness that plugs into the WRX radio (as opposed to the harness that plugs into the speaker/power connector in the WRX, which most car stereo shops do carry).

Personally, I prefer having a receiver that can play MP3s, even if it doesn't say "Subaru" on it (though I agree with Dick that most current receivers look too "garish"). Having over 20 hours of commercial-free music available on a few CD-Rs made an 8-hour drive to Florida unbelievably pleasant.
Old 12-31-2002, 11:42 AM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Lee, those Nakamichi units are superb, no doubt about it. I'm interested in the WRX changer because it's double-DIN, and I'm not enough of a craftsman to create something to fill the other half if I install a single-DIN. I also like the cassette feature just in case (books on tape, or whatever).

In-dash MP3 players are great. Instead of having one in my car, I plug my iPod into the system. Depending on the encoding, a 5Gb iPod holds 700 - 1000 songs and runs for about 10 hours on a single charge.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 12-31-2002, 12:09 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dick Young
... I'm not enough of a craftsman to create something to fill the other half if I install a single-DIN. I also like the cassette feature just in case (books on tape, or whatever).
I can understand wanting to have cassette too (but in 6 years I almost never used mine, always intending to make some tapes for the road, but never getting around to it).

If all you wanted to do was fill the second DIN space, that's easy. You can buy a Subaru cover plate from someone who only had the AM/FM cassette unit and swapped it for a double-DIN or two single-DIN components, or you can get a pocket (new or used) to fill the space. See section 2.4.3 of my SVX Audio Install instructions, here.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:03 PM
SVXDriver

Thumbs up

Hello Everyone,

I know that everyone wants to install a WRX CD Changer and I did too but I had a MY00 Legacy headunit with 6-CD changer lying around so I installed that instead but the harness is still the same.

Here is what you need to do. You need to get the harness from a Gauge pack kit that was available for the RS. I know that you can order this harness seperately from that of the gauge pack. If you are unable to get it, then let me know by e-mail and I will be able to get it for you. I am sorry that I do not have the part number available at this point.

Once you get that harness, you go to www.ravensblade-impreza.com and look up the pinouts of the RS harness. I basically followed the same instructions that SVXdc provided when I ordered the harness from him. The only part that confused me was the Antenna because the WRXs do not have a power antenna that moves up and down like the SVX.

So basically the last connection that is on the RS harness, that goes to the power antenna location. In the end you will have to keep the black plastic piece that is stuck onto the back of the door. The reason being is because the door will not be able to come all the way down if you have the piece there. Now you can make the necessary cuts to get it to fit but I chose to leave the piece out since I am not bothered by anything there.

If you have anymore questions, then just feel free to email me and I will provide you with some more information necessary.
Old 01-12-2003, 11:36 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Here are links to the WRX radio connector pinout diagrams:

This is a page with a table of several different WRX wiring diagrams:
[link dead]

Then find these links in the table for either

1995-2001 Impreza Radio Pinouts [link dead] or 2002 Impreza Radio Pinouts [link dead]

(Note- if you try to view those pages with the Opera web browser, you'll need to switch to "user mode" to make all of the text visible).

UPDATE: New link to WRX radio connector pin-out

UPDATE: See this post for SVX and WRX harnesses with all 14 wires.

As for finding the connector for the WRX radio, they are actually fairly common, available from the same manufacturers who make the harness that connects to the car's power/speaker connector. The ones for the radio are called "Reverse" harnesses or "Radio plugs." They have a plug that plugs into the back of the factory radio, and about 6-7" long wires with nothing on the other end. You crimp or solder those to the SVX adaptor I sell.

According to the tables above, the 1995-2001 WRX's have a pin for remote amplifier power control; you use that to control the SVX's power antenna (so it will extend all the time the receiver is on; it won't retract while you listen to CDs, as some aftermarket receivers will do).

Apparently, the 2002 WRX radio doesn't have that pin, so your only choice would be to connect the SVX antenna control wire to the Accessory power wire. Then the antenna will extend whenever the key is in ACC or ON, regardless of whether the radio was on or off. Yuck.

CORRECTION: on the 2002 WRX, pin 14 is for amplifier remote power control; the above chart shows that pin as unused. (thanks to cjoffe and svxdriver for the info, below)

YET ANOTHER CORRECTION: on the 2002 WRX radio, pin 14 is for power antenna control; the SVX antenna will go down when you switch to CD. The WRX car has nothing connected to this pin (it has no power antenna). (thanks again, CJ)

As for the "black plastic piece that is stuck onto the back of the door," SVXDriver is talking about the trim piece on the back of the SVX's Audio Cover Door.

Last edited by SVXdc; 12-06-2009 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Replacing dead links
Old 02-03-2003, 08:29 PM
cjoffe

WooHoo!!!!

Well, I finally got it done!!!! It sounds great!

David's harness mated to the Scosche SU03R Reverse Harness works perfectly. Just use the "Dimmer" wire instead of the "Illumination" wire and you're golden. Even the colors match up perfectly.

BEWARE... The changer appears to be 1/4" longer than the opening is deep. There are 2 dash-support braces back there and the left one is the problem. I reached in with tin-snips and snipped it at the top and used pliers to bend the protruding flange back and out of the way. This leads to a perfect fit! Just make sure to take up the wire bundle and bend it off to the right side from underneath while sliding the cage back in. Otherwise you'll crush the wires against the newly bent/sharp metal and short it.... Don't ask...

There is also a plastic clip that must (I think) be removed or broken off. It is meant to clip to the back of the cage, but the back of the cage has to be clipped off anyway(tin snips again).

Once back together it sounds MUCH better than the old unit and looks like it belongs there. Considering what the WRX changers can be had for, it's a heck of a bargain.

If anyone needs further details, I spent 3 days cursing this and made every blunder I could think of, so don't hesitate to ask.

CJ
Old 02-03-2003, 08:37 PM
cjoffe

BTW...

The Impreza pinout diagrams are incorrect. Pin 14, described as unused, is in fact the amp/antenna trigger. It is present as such in the Scosche harness and works without modification. My changer had a Sept01 build date, if that means anything.

CJ
Old 02-03-2003, 08:42 PM
SVXDriver

Right, that is why I said that the last wire that does not connect up needs to be connected because that is the one that controls the antenna. Sorry if I was unclear about that, but I was hoping that you would go in numerical order and the 14th pin would be the last pin.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:51 AM
cjoffe

It is, and Scosche has it wired correctly.

CJ
Old 02-05-2003, 09:50 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

pics

hey cjoffe, throw up some pics in your locker. let's see how it looks
Old 02-06-2003, 07:26 AM
cjoffe

I keep meaning to. I took some, but I need to take some more and upload them. I won't be able to do it until early next week though. Sorry.

CJ
Old 05-20-2003, 05:52 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Orange wire madness

Quote:
Originally posted by cjoffe
... David's harness mated to the Scosche SU03R Reverse Harness works perfectly. Just use the "Dimmer" wire instead of the "Illumination" wire and you're golden.
CJ, did your Scosche Reverse Harness have just the orange Illumination wire, or also the orange/white Dimmer wire too?

When you say "just use the 'dimmer' wire, were you talking about on the SVX side of things? I.e., do you mean that you connected the SVX harness' orange/white Dimmer wire to the WRX reverse harness' orange Illumination wire?

In this other thread, awdsvx discovered that Scosche's reverse harness lacks the orange/white illumination wire. His 2002 WRX radio didn't light up correctly until he added that wire, then connected orange to orange and orange/white to orange/white.