IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2003, 02:03 PM
Porter

Help! My alarm freaks out!

I'm having some alarm issues.

The system seems to work normally 99% of the time. Red blinky light on the dash, etc. Arm/disarm is the normal honk and honk-honk. Turning the alarm system on and off via the dash switch is normal. Man, that blinking light is annoying when you're driving. The entry alarm feature seems normal, if you unlock the door with the key and open it, all hell breaks loose.

The issue occurs randomly... and it manifests itself in one of two ways.

First, the alarm will set itself off for no apparent reason, as it just did outside my apartment. I can see it from the window and there was no-one around it when it began to honk and flash the lights, etc. It took three tries with the remote to make it stop freaking out. The alarm function itself seemed normal, flashing parking lights and honking in a shifting pattern.

The other manifestation is more bizzare... it involves quick patternless half-honks, rapid flashing of lights and LOTS of rapid relay clicking behind the dash from several locations. It did this once outside my work by itself, and once about a month ago while I was driving down the road. All the dash lights including the backlighting and illumination were flicking on and off fairly rapidly and evenly during this episode, but the engine seemed unaffected. I was able to return the system to normal by locking the doors with the remote and then unlocking them... while driving! Weird stuff.

Anybody have any clues? Should I call for a priest and send out for holy water?