SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2015, 09:39 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
PWR Radiator hose okay?

PWR radiator install finally made it to the top of the to do list. It's been staring at me for a long time.

My question is with respect to the hoses. Most know, already, about the less than perfect fit. I'm putting new silicone hoses on but the top one looks like it cuts a pretty sharp angle going back into the top of the radiator.

Should I worry? Should I consider braided hose sleeve or is that just for show?

Also, should I not use the stock wire bale hose clamps? I kinda like their look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3094.jpg (433.3 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3095.jpg (491.1 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3096.jpg (440.8 KB, 231 views)
Old 12-08-2015, 05:23 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: PWR Radiator hose okay?

It looks good to me. I don't see a problem with those clamps. I like the look of them also. They don't look cheap like the ones with the screw tightener and slotted band.(worm drive)

Last edited by Blacky; 12-08-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Do a search for T-bar hose clamps or T-bolt hose clamps. Much stronger and durable than worm-drive clamps and designed for silicone hoses. Better sealing and do not damage the hose.

I have them on my polo

Attached Images
File Type: jpg T-bar.jpg (48.5 KB, 463 views)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 12-11-2015, 09:04 PM

Registered SVX
Re: PWR Radiator hose okay? +++

Thanks for the suggestions! Those t-bolt clamps do look better than stock clamps so I'll go with them so my polo can be just a little closer to how nice yours is, SVXCESS. I spent a lot of time with wire and nylon brushes under the hood of my SVX the other day, inspired by your polo.

I think, while I'm at it, I'll look at running the steering lines through the PWR since mine's a 5 speed. Read about that idea in the PWR thread that's about 70 pages. Only made it through 20 so far, though.

If anyone thinks that's a bad idea, please let me know. I haven't taken a close look yet.

Also, I'll post in classifieds, but, if anyone has the billet cap for the PWR, please PM me.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:17 PM

Registered SVX
Re: PWR Radiator hose okay?...Power steering line???

Another question for anyone out there...I'm looking at running power steering lines through PWR since I have a 5MT. That means I can't use the stock hoses. I can't find a source for Yokohama hydraulic line.

Any suggestions for where to find power steering line? I'll need close to 4 feet and generally prefer the finest.

Photo of stock line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3102.JPG (146.1 KB, 210 views)
Old 12-13-2015, 06:56 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Check heavy equipment repair shops in the area. They should be able to make up a hose of any size or length. You'll just need to find the correct fittings for the hoses.

Last edited by Blacky; 12-13-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:03 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks, good idea. The hoses are held on with ordinary clamps, surprisingly. I guess it's not very high pressure.

Now I'm wondering if there's a way to form them into shape like the stock short one which is permanently formed into a lazy s.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:56 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Yes they should be able to do that. I know they can with heavy duty hydraulic hoses.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:17 PM

Registered SVX

Reporting back...

PWR radiator is in. Made new top mounts from aluminum since grinding down lower rubber mounts changes how the old top mounts fit. I like this better. Also, T-Bolt clamps were not available locally in the right size. Bought some other high pressure clamps; best I could find.

BUT, I drained the power steering reservoir a few weeks ago when I started this. Pulled the two pass cooler and bought new steering lines and ran them to the AT cooler at the base of the PWR. Filled reservoir, started engine, lots of pump whining as expected. Added more fluid, as expected. Ran engine for a good 5 minutes, turned steering and adding fluid, as expected. Whining reduced but still beyond normal when I turn the wheel, I think. It's been a few weeks since I've run her. Shut off engine and fluid starts seeping out from under cap. The only time it doesn't seep out is when the cap is off.

So, my first impulse is to go back to stock steering cooler but I'm wondering if my pump died from sitting dry for a few weeks and it's not circulating. I expected it to take a lot more fluid. I have just over one quart in there, just checked.

Does it matter which steering line goes to which side of the radiator? I've assumed not. I'm not super happy about how they look but made them as nice as I could.

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top.jpg (419.0 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg driverside.jpg (390.7 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg passide.jpg (354.3 KB, 177 views)

Last edited by WYOSVX; 12-31-2015 at 04:14 PM. Reason: pics, accuracy