Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2012, 02:47 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Camshafts for the EG33.

Harvey/Bazza,

Bazza's cams look to be the next step up from the ones in my car - which I will get on the dyno soon now that YT has installed the Hydra in my car! - and I was wondering what you thought about how the lobe profiles compared since we're both running stock lifters/springs/valves.

Cheers!

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 10-29-2012, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Harvey/Bazza,

Bazza's cams look to be the next step up from the ones in my car - which I will get on the dyno soon now that YT has installed the Hydra in my car! - and I was wondering what you thought about how the lobe profiles compared since we're both running stock lifters/springs/valves.

Cheers!

Bill
Bill, previous I said 220 @ 50 thou and 272 advertised. However everything in between depends on the camshop you get the cam work completed and what they have as possible outcomes (basically what's listed in their computer). I told them maximum lift based on discussions I had with Mike (LAN), then I requested maximum duration - don't care about overlap etc AND the key factor was the base circle min size and they found a suitable profile.

My cams don't like idling below 950 rpm although I'm running huge overlap -I did get it idling nicely below that but it's to time consuming getting it perfect (have to add custom timing and fuel values into the ecu and then tune each one) - and it's a track car so f that
Old 10-29-2012, 05:40 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Bazza

Thanks! Did you get my PM?

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 10-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Harvey/Bazza,

Cheers!

Bill
Next step up to where, what are you trying to improve?
The cams that you have are 257* duration and 8.75mm lift? You won’t get more lift, and the duration is as much as you can run at the rpm that you use.
If you want to get a bit more up top, you can retard the inlet a few degrees, to run a bit higher.
The problem is that nobody has put a degree wheel on the engine to see what the timing of their cams are, so trying to improve what we don’t know is just a guess. If you are changing the timing, you do need to know what is was.
I thing I suggested that you do that, some time ago.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:27 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
The problem is that nobody has put a degree wheel on the engine to see what the timing of their cams are, so trying to improve what we don’t know is just a guess. If you are changing the timing, you do need to know what is was.
I thing I suggested that you do that, some time ago.

Harvey.
Harvey, with respect, I can tell you exactly what angles are on mine having had a degree wheel all over it...repeatedly.

M

Last edited by dynomatt; 10-30-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomatt View Post
Harvey, with respect, I can tell you exactly what angles are on mine having had a degree wheel all over it...repeatedly.

M
That was quick Matt, you must have been looking over my shoulder.

Yes I remember that you did that with the first engine. What I was getting at is if we knew where Bills cams were timed in the engine, we could look at moving the lobe centers to run higher. Don't have to get new grinds, just relocate the lobe center, by one way or another. This where we do the fine tuning that pulls the best out of what we have.

Like re-time the inlet 2 teeth retard, and the exhaust pulley 1 tooth advance. to give the later closing of the inlet and earlier opening of the exhaust, and trim it up with offset keys.

Harvey.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:59 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Harvey,

The ones in RacerX's EG33 are installed straight up. Sounds like I should just get another set ground and look to install them as you've recommended?

Thanks.

Bill

My Locker
Old 10-31-2012, 04:42 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Harvey,

The ones in RacerX's EG33 are installed straight up. Sounds like I should just get another set ground and look to install them as you've recommended?

Thanks.

Bill
Bill what are you trying to achieve, what do you want the engine to do?

Tell me some of the details about the car, like what trans and diff ratio, is it only used for Auto-cross?
What is the rpm range that you use?
What is the lowest rpm that you use to accelerate out of a corner?
What is the highest rpm that you would normally use?

The engine torque has to suit the use the engine is to do.

Harvey.

Harvey.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:53 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Bill what are you trying to achieve, what do you want the engine to do?

Tell me some of the details about the car, like what trans and diff ratio, is it only used for Auto-cross?
What is the rpm range that you use?
What is the lowest rpm that you use to accelerate out of a corner?
What is the highest rpm that you would normally use?

The engine torque has to suit the use the engine is to do.

Harvey.

Harvey.
Harvey,

Right as rain!
1. RacerX now has a Subie 5 speed manual with an STI 3.90 posi rear (yes, a real posi, not that viscous attempt that the stock SVX comes with). Primarily autoX with an occasional 1/4 mile gallop ;-)
2. idle up to redline
3. there will be cases where I will need to step on the brakes, come to almost a complete stop, and then immediately accelerate (probably the biggest difference from running a track event)
4. Let's figure on ~6k rpms

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Bill

My Locker

Last edited by SVXRide; 11-01-2012 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:19 AM

Bit of tuning today and my cams are working a treat - positive boost at 2250 rpm and above that its instant boost, full boost seems to be around 3400 rpm. My link plus Ecu is map based and required a heap more fuel from vacuum to full boost which shows airflow (read power) has increased quite substantially - although given how bad the stock cams are tis not suprising.

Hitting the track tomorrow after a huge amount of work to get the car sorted but it does have a chance of getting close to the old subaru lap record so shall be interesting. I have vmax in the main straight from all my old setups to use as a reference for power - have to do a about 100 laps first as a shakedown and to run in the bearings. Then it's boost, full rpm and see what happens.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Bit of tuning today and my cams are working a treat - positive boost at 2250 rpm and above that its instant boost, full boost seems to be around 3400 rpm. My link plus Ecu is map based and required a heap more fuel from vacuum to full boost which shows airflow (read power) has increased quite substantially - although given how bad the stock cams are tis not suprising.

Hitting the track tomorrow after a huge amount of work to get the car sorted but it does have a chance of getting close to the old subaru lap record so shall be interesting. I have vmax in the main straight from all my old setups to use as a reference for power - have to do a about 100 laps first as a shakedown and to run in the bearings. Then it's boost, full rpm and see what happens.
Go Bazza!

Looking forward to videos of the experience! Would be great if you could datalog what the engine is doing.

Cheers
Bill

My Locker
Old 11-02-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Go Bazza!

Looking forward to videos of the experience! Would be great if you could datalog what the engine is doing.

Cheers
Bill
Will post up vids when I get a chance. Kept hitting the limiter with these cams, power everywhere and huge torque spread. My wife drove it back to the pits and complained that the throttle was "to responsive" ROFL.

Anyway note these regrind cams vs the piece of crap rubbish stock cams, you can see the stock cams just die and acceleration drops off. These regrinds of mine just keep accelerating all the way to the limiter I had set for today. This is G force longitudinal data log.

Also Vmax with stock cams at 14 psi was 195 kph. Vmax with my regrinds @ 7 psi was 192 kph running 100 RON and about 4 degrees less timing and rich AFR's for safety (since I ran out of E85 very early on while sorting out the brake bias) - quite amazing.

Last edited by bazza; 11-02-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Will post up vids when I get a chance. Kept hitting the limiter with these cams, power everywhere and huge torque spread. My wife drove it back to the pits and complained that the throttle was "to responsive" ROFL.

Anyway note these regrind cams vs the piece of crap rubbish stock cams, you can see the stock cams just die and acceleration drops off. These regrinds of mine just keep accelerating all the way to the limiter I had set for today. This is G force longitudinal data log.

Also Vmax with stock cams at 14 psi was 195 kph. Vmax with my regrinds @ 7 psi was 192 kph running 100 RON and about 4 degrees less timing and rich AFR's for safety (since I ran out of E85 very early on while sorting out the brake bias) - quite amazing.
Bazza,

Looking good! How did the AFR track with the G force longitudinal data?

Cheers,

Bill

My Locker
Old 11-03-2012, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Bazza,

Looking good! How did the AFR track with the G force longitudinal data?

Cheers,

Bill
Holds around 10.6 - 11.4, pretty rich / safe for 100 RON, pretty much useless info to you unless you're running a turbo setup of course. Still running stock pistons - WIN.

In December I'll also open the taps and see what she really does at high boost - few little niggles to fix first.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:06 AM

Winton Flyby from Friday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAMuc-DJYhM