Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2012, 04:37 PM

Re: Camshafts for the EG33.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
For anyone who is interested, pls find attached a trend of a set of parameters from my 2006 3.0R. The intake cam timing strategy @WOT is well illustrated.

The log was done maybe 10 miles after an ECU reset.

/ T
Throttle doesn't really do anything with regards to the AVCS. It's all about g/rev which is a calculation the ecu makes using RPM and airflow (g/s). Just download romraider and your base map - will show you everything. Although bare in mind what you are seeing is a major compromise - Subaru needs to hit pollution targets and ensure efficiency. Power is not at the top of their priorities. For example - I've got the stock MY11 Forrest S and the standard "boring" AVCS map feels nothing like my edited version with regards to spool power and torque. Same with my old 02 STI vs stock avcs.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:18 PM

Registered SVX

Great, thanks

My apologies for being "off topic", but....

Do you know how the base map is modified thru any potential adaption ? Which issues have an effect? Can these learned issues be accessed with romraider?

I have an "issue" which seems to go away (for quite a while) by resetting the ECU.

See http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...when-cold.html

Thanks,

Tapani
Old 10-23-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Great, thanks

My apologies for being "off topic", but....

Do you know how the base map is modified thru any potential adaption ? Which issues have an effect? Can these learned issues be accessed with romraider?

I have an "issue" which seems to go away (for quite a while) by resetting the ECU.

See http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...when-cold.html

Thanks,

Tapani
I'm not sure mate.

Something we discovered a few years ago with the early 6MT's is that after a while the neutral switch bushes in the box became worn. This had the effect of disabling the AVCS, however it never really gave a code. People were doing all kinds of crazy things like changing the AVCS solenoids, filters and drilling holes and ****. However it was only one day when someone logged the neutral switch that the issue was found.

So my advice - log every single switch you can log. And see if you can find a switch or something that is mean to be on or off but isn't. Or if the gearbox shaft speeds are jumping etc. I can't really read those logs sorry but you may find your gearbox could be doing something as basic to fix and as crazy. The fix btw was to solder to bypass the switch and cut the wires. Fix two (hard) was replace the switch which mean dropping the box.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:46 AM

Registered SVX

Ok, thanks

I think I have read that the 5EAT neutral and "P" selections affect quite a number of ECU functions, including the cam timing.

There's a ton of switches, both in the ECU and the TCU.

Have to learn more :-)

Thanks again,

Tapani

PS The engine behaved normally this morning and the tranny shifted up to third in mid uphill ! All this after ECU reset.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Ok, thanks

I think I have read that the 5EAT neutral and "P" selections affect quite a number of ECU functions, including the cam timing.

There's a ton of switches, both in the ECU and the TCU.

Have to learn more :-)

Thanks again,

Tapani

PS The engine behaved normally this morning and the tranny shifted up to third in mid uphill ! All this after ECU reset.
I can't recall but can you reset that ecu by disconnecting power for a few hours or do you need romraider / ecuexplorer / ecuflash or the scan tool? If full power off works, you could always cheat and try this - find the 12V "battery" supplies to the ECU, run a switch and just turn it off after every-drive - resetting the ecu.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:44 AM

Registered SVX

Oh, I have romraider and the freeSSM - both work like a dream.

Have not tried to pull the maps yet, though - just logging and resetting.

Thanks,

Tapani
Old 10-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
For anyone who is interested, pls find attached a trend of a set of parameters from my 2006 3.0R. The intake cam timing strategy @WOT is well illustrated.

The log was done maybe 10 miles after an ECU reset.

/ T
Thanks for the log mate it shows the action of retarding the lobe center the full 50* very well. It also shows the way the retard is applied, the line shows a section through the change where the rate is not smooth. It looks like the signal to the solenoid is modulated, to hold at a position for X time. I am wondering if that is where the lift changes from low to intermediate lift, before full lift.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:24 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
It looks like the signal to the solenoid is modulated, to hold at a position for X time. I am wondering if that is where the lift changes from low to intermediate lift, before full lift.

Harvey.
The signal is PWM - both the current and the % can be logged. The intake valve lift change is on/off and goes "on" very early in a WOT acceleration.

In the graphs posted on the Outback forum the lift was "off" for the first test. I guess the revs did not go high enough.

I'll do another graph if you're interested, I have the data.

Br,

Tapani
Old 10-26-2012, 04:21 AM

Did a few runs down the road tonight... easily hits 7000 rpm nicely and doesn't fall over like the stock cam did.. sounds AWESOME!!

Torque is a little dissapointing but good at the same time - it's pretty much dead flat and just pulls and pulls and pulls all across the rev range and just doesn't drop off from the moment you stomp it to redline. And I did like the big old WHACK in the back as the turbo spooled up on the small EJ engines and threw you into the back seat but then again I changed to an EG engine in to improve the throttle control at the racetrack and torque etc.

So it would seem my custom grind is going to work nicely. I think I managed to get the base circle perfect - the engine is dead quite (no clearance between lifter and cam) - just works. I'll be testing soon at the track and then will be able to provide a rough dyno plot based on G force acceleration.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post

Torque is a little dissapointing but good at the same time - it's pretty much dead flat and just pulls and pulls and pulls all across the rev range and just doesn't drop off from the moment you stomp it to redline. And I did like the big old WHACK in the back as the turbo spooled up on the small EJ engines and threw you into the back seat but then again I changed to an EG engine in to improve the throttle control at the racetrack and torque etc.
Bazza aren't bells ringing in your head, what size turbo did you have on the EJ???
If you are not getting a WHACK then you have a issue, it could be any one of a number of factors but somthing is holding that engine back. Have you swaped the guage over to make sure you are getting the boast you think you are?
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
Bazza aren't bells ringing in your head, what size turbo did you have on the EJ???
If you are not getting a WHACK then you have a issue, it could be any one of a number of factors but somthing is holding that engine back. Have you swaped the guage over to make sure you are getting the boast you think you are?
Tony

Nah mate - it's how it works with a big engine (EG33) / small turbo (GT35R). I've improved several things and with the nice new cams now flowing a heap more gas - it's providing a far more linear power delivery, hard to explain unless you've driven a couple of soobie turbo setups.

Basically it's just not laggy at all - and is proving linear power across the board as I planned it would and that's why it doesn't feel as fun.

You should see the video... NUTS lol.

Last edited by bazza; 10-26-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Hi Bazza,

Just to keep up to date on your efforts, your EG33 is now running intake and exhaust cams with the following durations:

Inlet:
270 advertised
220 @ 50 thou
7.9mm lift

Exhaust:
275 advertised
220 @ 50 thou
8.7mm lift

with stock hydraulic lifters, valves, and springs, correct?

Thanks.

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 10-27-2012, 07:18 AM

Bill, I'll confirm shortly.

Sound clip - 7300 rpm limiter... 7 psi ish... madness haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G85meSWidvw

Last edited by bazza; 10-27-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:27 AM

Bill - my cam is this, with stock hydraulic lifters and stock valve springs. rev's alright as you can see from video above.

Inlet:
270 advertised
220 @ 50 thou
7.9mm lift

Exhaust:
275 advertised
220 @ 50 thou
8.7mm lift
Old 10-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Bill, I'll confirm shortly.

Sound clip - 7300 rpm limiter... 7 psi ish... madness haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G85meSWidvw
Bazza,

Wicked! Love this kind of madness!!

What are you running aft of the downpipe?

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker