Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Question about remote starters

My security system has been a bit flaky lately (random horn beeps) and I like the idea of a remote starter for those cold winter mornings. So I figured I could kill two birds with one stone here.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a brand?

Does anyone have advice on what details to pay attention to or things I need to know about the install?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 01-07-2012, 08:15 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Question about remote starters

from what i have seen the most basic ones and the really expensive ones are pretty much the same thing. i recommend to install it yourself unless you want a fist full of wires piggy back clipped to your harness, crammed under your dash, and zip tied in place. i rarely see problems with units themselves, just crappy installs that can create a world of electrical gremlins that are impossible to find.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Does anyone else have brands that they either liked or hated? It sounds like maybe the install is really the important thing.

Do they need to get under the same panel that you need to get under to install or replace the rear speakers? I ask because one of my rear speakers is dead so, if that is where the original security module is, I might as well have them put new speakers in at the same time.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 01-07-2012, 12:20 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

http://ae64.com/Ordering.htm

This guy (SVXdc here on the forums) I vaguely remember also selling an adapter to plug into the stock security plug. That will take care of about 90% of the necessary wiring (basically everything other than the actual remote start wiring at the ignition or wherever).

Do it yourself if at all possible, whoever did the wiring of a remote start/security system into my black car many years ago (before I owned it) really butchered the wiring and created a short that caused the battery to drain when the door lock fuse was in. After a few months the "fix" was to disable the aftermarket system (still leaving it zip-tied in place and plugged into everything), remove the door lock fuse, and replace the ignition itself! So in a few months it went from having a perfectly fine, working stock security system to having two different keys for the ignition and doors, and no power locks.

Do not underestimate the damage that the amateurs at the security/audio shops can and will do to your car.

You have a 96, so, yes your security module is under the rear deck between the rear speakers. However, to change the speakers, you must remove the top cover for the rear deck, but to change the security system, you should only need to remove the bottom cover, which is in the trunk.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 02-10-2012, 01:16 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Yes, I do still have connectors that fit the SVX factory security harness. Makes for a neater install for a basic keyless entry or alarm system.

But if you want to install a remote start, you will probably need to install the "brain" under the dash. The ignition wires are high-current. You really don't want to run those from the dash all the way back to the trunk.

In models without the passenger airbag (1992 through some '94s) you could still use my connector, since that will go behind the glovebox and be close enough to the ignition wires. Even so, remote start systems will want you to tap several signals that aren't on the SVX's security harness (parking brake, foot brake, tachometer, etc.).

With later models (with passenger airbag), using my connector with a remote start system would mean you would need to extend all of the wires from my connector in the trunk to under the dash. I don't think it would be worth the effort.

Now if there's an alarm / remote start system that has a separate "satellite" module that handles the starter control, that would work -- you could put the brain in the trunk and the starter module near the ignition wires. But I don't know of any car alarm systems like that. Let me know if any exist.

My connector consists of just the plastic housing plus a handful of pins that you'll need to crimp (and I recommend also solder) directly onto your new security system's harness wires.

Please send any inquiries via e-mail (not PM). See link that icingdeath88 posted (thanks!) or my homepage.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:54 AM

Registered SVX

I had a remote starter hooked up to my 1992 SVX back in the day like 1994. An early unit. I think it screwed up my OEM remote door locks and security system . I would love to install one on the 1994 I have now but I am afraid it will do the same thing to this one . My security and door lock remotes work perfectly now . And with the 5 speed I can imaging how they would butcher it up.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:15 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
My security system has been a bit flaky lately (random horn beeps) and I like the idea of a remote starter for those cold winter mornings. So I figured I could kill two birds with one stone here.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a brand?

Does anyone have advice on what details to pay attention to or things I need to know about the install?
Hi!
I have had good luck with the Viper brand. presently have a remote starter and alarm in our 97 Outback.
1997 Ebony #308 113k "The Black Diva"SOLD
1992 Black over Liquid Silver 152k SOLD
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
1999 Silver SLK230 134k SOLD
1997 Green Outback 137k SOLD
2013 Honda Accord I4 SOLD
2015 Subaru Crosstrek 30k
2018 Tesla M3 30k
Old 02-10-2012, 09:06 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post
See link that icingdeath88 posted (thanks!) or my homepage.
Any time bro! You are an asset to the community.

I would suggest using a relay at the front for the high-current for the starter and keeping the new security module in the trunk. The wiring in my black car really is a mess.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album