Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: My latest project (tomsvx style intake)

I have another job which allows me to help more than profiteer. I would rather see someone have success doing it themselves than not do it at all. I would however be upset if he were to sell them afterward.

Tom
Old 03-01-2009, 04:57 PM

Yeah, my plans are not to sell. I just wanted to make one for me, and I'll probably leave it at that. I'd like to publicly thank Tom for all the help he's been to me the past weeks though. Tranny swapping, intake making, etc... Thanks Tom!

My original design was actual a little different. Maybe I shouldn't say it so people think I stole that too! lol I'll just have to make one and see how it turns out! The idea was to have themmerge just JUST before the throttle body. When I go turbo, (not anytime SOON) I'll probably do that, as it would be a better design for hp. but this current design lends itself to more tq.

Either way, I like this current setup and making it wasn't the easiest. Next up on the "to-do" list is to tackle the swaybar though, and then I'd like to make a set of headers when I get some time. Note to anyone else trying this kind of thing...pre-built merge collectors save SOO much time! lol

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 03-01-2009, 05:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan

hmm

Ive always been a bit hesitant on these engine mods (why wouldnt subaru of made it like this the first time). But the sources making them have proven to be intelligent. (yay tom)

Do we have dyno numbers for this thing before/after on an otherwise untuned SVX?

Does this work on the supercharged one? again, dyno before/after?

Im in the market soon enough for the major engine upgrades. I believe I want the S/C 6MT combo, but Im holding out to REALLY make sure thats what I want to do with the SVX. I certainly never want to buy the low end performance stuff, if its negated with the highend stuff.

If this is as claimed, it would be a quick, simple, REVERSIBLE, performance mod to the car, that adds a measurable amount of HP.
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 03-01-2009, 05:04 PM

re-reading that, it makes me look a bit insulting.... I didnt mean it that way. I think your awesome at what u do tom, and will contact you to do the job when it comes time for the big changes. Just lookin for answers on this piece
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 03-01-2009, 05:06 PM

ok! ok ok ok ok. search button is my friend... yes...

DISREGARDING some of the above.... *cough*......

Could you please explain 'with appropriate modifications'?
Old 03-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavikan View Post
ok! ok ok ok ok. search button is my friend... yes...

DISREGARDING some of the above.... *cough*......

Could you please explain 'with appropriate modifications'?
A free flowing intake is only the inlet... If you have a restriction on the exhaust side it will not allow a modification to the intake side to make any difference really. Not to mention if you use a crappy air filter, etc...

Tom
Old 03-12-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
No but he'd be happy to steal it from you just as he stole YTs hard work.
If I were stealing it, wouldn't I have said that it was my own design and not his? lol I think by me saying that it's his design I'm not crediting myself for the creation of it.

That would be like saying that I ripped off Greddy or HKS on their turbo kit when I decided to make my own based off their proven designs. Isn't me using his idea a form of flattery?

Old 03-22-2009, 05:50 PM

Well, I finally got around to painting this thing, and I took some pictures today as well. I decided to go with silver for now, and I think it looks just fine. Let me know what you think!

Old 03-22-2009, 05:52 PM

Registered SVX

Not bad, should have ground the welds some but still not bad
Old 03-22-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuberNatural View Post
Not bad, should have ground the welds some but still not bad

LOL how did I know that would be the first thing someone would say. Yes, I know it looks out of place. I won't be using THAT welder again anytime soon, it worked awful on this thin of piping. I ground much of it down, bu a few humps remained. Basically I just tried to keep them even, lol.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:30 AM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx

Late response but good job on the intake.

Nevin, when you spoke of the other idea of merging right before the throttle body, you meant like this right --->

I wouldn't mind testing a setup like this myself. Depending on the single tube size, I think more power could be had with this setup......peak power that is. I'm thinking, Ideally the pipe diameter would be 3" for this single pipe. The dual piped you have I believe would be betterin the mid range. Just a thought and my gut feeling.
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 03-30-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:03 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx View Post

Nevin, when you spoke of the other idea of merging right before the throttle body, you meant like this right --->

I wouldn't mind testing a setup like this myself. Depending on the single tube size, I think more power could be had with this setup......peak power that is. I'm thinking, Ideally the pipe diameter would be 3" for this single pipe. The dual piped you have I believe would be betterin the mid range. Just a thought and my gut feeling.
This is the idea that I have been thinking of. I think it would work well.
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 03-30-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:

Yeah, more or less. What I started welding on before was two 2.5" pipes that immediately merge into a 3" but with a good curve to it. Ugh, hard to explain. I can just go find my weld scraps and take a picture of them and show you. But yeah, that's basically right, but mine had a 3" pipe and went into 2 2.5" pipes about 2 inches out of the TB.

I completely agree that the "short" setup could make moire peak power, but I decided against going that way since I: 1. have an automatic 2. would rather have more everyday driveable power 3. wanted to exploit the SVX's already excellent midrange power.

I'm glad I put this style on for now, but I will be trying another setup sooner or later. Also, the "short" style would be the way to go on a turbo setup, which is also what I plan to do eventually.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:31 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
Yeah, more or less. What I started welding on before was two 2.5" pipes that immediately merge into a 3" but with a good curve to it. Ugh, hard to explain. I can just go find my weld scraps and take a picture of them and show you. But yeah, that's basically right, but mine had a 3" pipe and went into 2 2.5" pipes about 2 inches out of the TB.
This is exactly what I was getting at. 2 2.5" pipes at the throttle body that immediately merges to a 3' diametered pipe. If/when you make this, I would also be interested in a copy as well (If you could make a 2nd one). If the SVX could get a good 60ft time (Via modified torque converter *auto* or a good manual trannied driver *manual*), the 2nd pipe I believe would take advantage of a possible peak hp gain. It's all speculation though and I have no scientific data to back it.

It's funny how I always seem to come out of the shadows when talks of intakes come up. I got problems.

At any rate, like your custom setup you made.
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 03-30-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
This is exactly what I was getting at. 2 2.5" pipes at the throttle body that immediately merges to a 3' diametered pipe. If/when you make this, I would also be interested in a copy as well (If you could make a 2nd one). If the SVX could get a good 60ft time (Via modified torque converter *auto* or a good manual trannied driver *manual*), the 2nd pipe I believe would take advantage of a possible peak hp gain. It's all speculation though and I have no scientific data to back it.

It's funny how I always seem to come out of the shadows when talks of intakes come up. I got problems.

At any rate, like your custom setup you made.
Well thanks Kevin. Like I said, I'll dig around and try to find those pieces I had started making and see what I can come up with. I can just PM you some pictures too, if/when I get them. lol

A high stall is something I'd like to try. I think with a good valve body and a highstall, there's no reason a stock geared tranny couldn't hit a solid 14. Something the car should have been able to do from the factory!