Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Nürburgring Warrior!

Registered SVX
Thinking the 3.3 has got to go...

I have always wanted a SVX, since the came out back in 91. Now that I got one (only had it for a few months) I guess I am finding it WAY too slow. I have had some pretty serious rides. 420hp Evo, 410hp STi, 390hp WRX, 500hp R33 GTR-Vspec etc... I think I am going to swap in a EJ258 w/ 6MT really soon. The 3.3 just doesn't have any support and I am not one to tune using "chips". I like to be able to flash a new map on the fly. My Evo didn't go anywhere without a laptop and a Tactrix cable. LOL

From what I read on here you guys really dont like engine swaps.... I guess I'll be hated on here as well. I am dedicated to two cars, Subaru's and the Pontiac Fiero. I have had 8 Subaru's and like 25 Fieros over the yrs. I guess the Fiero can be blamed for my engine swap love. I have performed all the popular Fiero swaps and now I think its time to do the SVX. I doubt it will be as easy as the swap was in my old WRX. I put a JDM STi EJ208 w/ ver7 JDM STi 6MT and it couldn't have been easier... 8 wires (for the AVCS) and I had to re-clock the heater hoses... oh the horror! LOL

I would try the simple stuff like N20 and basic bolt ons but I just don't think the original 19yr old 80K mile drivetrain would tolerate it. I couldn't find ANY specific info on anyone actually going forward with a WRX or STi swap. I wonder why? Does anyone know of this swap actually been performed and had it running and driving?
Old 03-28-2010, 10:43 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Thinking the 3.3 has got to go...

Why not turbo the 3.3 with the sti 6 speed behind it?
Old 03-28-2010, 10:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

IBanothersvxruined
2001 Audi S8
Old 03-28-2010, 11:02 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

I remember reading about someone puting in a ej motor in the svx but vant fin any threads right now.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 03-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Hey at least your keeping it and not parting it or selling it to some ham fisted teenager.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 03-29-2010, 12:13 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
Why not turbo the 3.3 with the sti 6 speed behind it?
Well a little searching and I think I found my answer.
Cost. A turboed 3.3 would be pretty interesting but you really got to spend some cash on it.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:15 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Well this mod is interesting somehow, but I dunno, I cannot really "FEEL" the SVX without the EG33. They are twins for me.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:53 AM

Why not just buy a faster car rather than trying to make an SVX into something it isn't (and ruining it in the process)?

dcb
Old 03-29-2010, 06:37 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
Why not just buy a faster car rather than trying to make an SVX into something it isn't (and ruining it in the process)?
There are several SVXi with very stout engines among the forum that are hardly ruined. With the above statement, you might be blanketing manual trans swaps, as well. Some would say that with higher power or a stick, they would have been right in the first place. Others would say that with higher power or a stick, they would have kept up with their marketplace competition at the time.

The Fiero is a great example of a car that started with an engine bay that needed emptying (go go, 2.5L Iron Duke) so the inspiration is clear.

I've wondered what it would be like to place the EZ30R engine in the SVX (250hp stock and open source tunable, I believe) and I'm not alone. The EZ36 supposedly has a fistful of security interlocks along the harness including the ignition... If it's true, then the question of how hard it would be to override stands, although a standalone could be tacked on at that point.

I can't justify any particular direction, but I'm surely not afraid to see what someone can concoct with an engine that is not the bizarre critter we call EG33.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
There are several SVXi with very stout engines among the forum that are hardly ruined. With the above statement, you might be blanketing manual trans swaps, as well.
Understand I'm just a knucklehead who tends to like driving old cars. The whole modding thing, and the "need for speed" in particular, escapes me completely (especially with these things costing more and more just to keep operational and reliable). I've always thought the sweetest classics (automotive or otherwise) are those hewing closest to the original, and that's what informs my opinions. I respect those here who can artfully do as they will with these cars, I'm aware mine is a minority opinion, and that's fine.

dcb
Old 03-29-2010, 07:50 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

It's another issue of Hot Rod magazine. Let's see how he does?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:44 AM

Registered SVX

I think a well done STi or, like my friend is doing for his Impreza, a well built ej22t swap, would be interesting. Or you could be really different and go for the jdm 2.0 twin turbo setup.

Think about how much each one of those swaps would cost though. STi drivetrains are stupid expensive and the other turbos aren't exactly cheap.

You could build a high power ez30-36 but I think Perrin's (?) build proves that it's less cost effective to make the same power on a block that is less durable than the eg.

Your best bet would probably just be sticking with the eg33. If you wanted to build crazy power, sleeve it, pick up some rods and low compression pistons, get a set of cams reground, get yourself a hydra and go to town. In the end, you'd still be be cheaper than a built sti or whatever other engine you'd want to try.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Nürburgring Warrior!

Registered SVX

Yep those are the typical responses I thought I would get. Some of you just dont get it. Its JUST a car. Nothing more. I tend to think that any car as a blank piece of paper waiting for its owner to create.

For the life of me I cant understand why ANYONE could think these cars couldn't use a dose of performance and ....here goes.... parts availability.

Dont feel bad diehards, even if I had a Veyron I'd drive the freggen wheels off it. And crank up the boost!
Old 03-29-2010, 09:51 AM
Nürburgring Warrior!

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash_2365 View Post
I think a well done STi or, like my friend is doing for his Impreza, a well built ej22t swap, would be interesting. Or you could be really different and go for the jdm 2.0 twin turbo setup.

Think about how much each one of those swaps would cost though. STi drivetrains are stupid expensive and the other turbos aren't exactly cheap.

You could build a high power ez30-36 but I think Perrin's (?) build proves that it's less cost effective to make the same power on a block that is less durable than the eg.

Your best bet would probably just be sticking with the eg33. If you wanted to build crazy power, sleeve it, pick up some rods and low compression pistons, get a set of cams reground, get yourself a hydra and go to town. In the end, you'd still be be cheaper than a built sti or whatever other engine you'd want to try.
No twin turbos... keep it simple. Built STi engine? Why? Drop in a stock one. Do you think my 400+ STi was built? Can you imagine the cost of a fully built 3.3? If you went that route, you'd still be N/A, no where near 300hp and still have to do something about the EM & tranny. Meh, turbos are fairly cheap. and the biggest expense out of the whole idea is the 6MT... they can (note I said can) be pretty expensive.

As for engines... (just for reference)
http://www.gruppe-s.com/Subaru/UsedEngines.htm
Old 03-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Actually I am quite interested in seeing you try this if you can get it done. If you have the skills, time and money go for it, and take plenty of photographs for us along the way.

Just make sure that if you start it, you work on it until it is back on the road. I would hate to see you start then not finish and in the process ruin a perfectly good SVX.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007