Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Midwest to East Coast trip

Alright, a few people already know about this but I just thought I'd post it here so that it is more likely that everyone will see it. I am going to be headed from here in Wisconsin out to the east coast in order to pick up a few things I've bought, sell a few things, and the big thing, picking up another SVX. I will be leaving my place on Thursday morning and should be back home by either late Sunday night or Monday morning.

I will be able to bring many parts along so anyone interested in anything should PM me as I still have quite a few parts from a 92 ebony LS-L that had 101,000 miles. I can vary on my route a little bit if someone is close enough to my path I have a link to below, OR if you are looking for something and it turns out I have it but you are a bit out of the way, I can give you my phone number so we can make plans to meet along the highway or possibly at any of the stops I'll be making and that way I can give you a call and let you know how far away I am from a predetermined spot to meet.

Here's the basic route and stops i'll be making

I will not be going on any tollroads whatsoever as a double axle trailer is not friendly on the pockets going through tolls.

Here is a link to my parts car thread
Please refer to my initial post as I update it when I end up selling stuff, Thank you

Last edited by 1986nate; 03-03-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:31 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Midwest to East Coast trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Alright, a few people already know about this but I just thought I'd post it here bla bla bla coast in order bla bla bla should be back home by either late Sunday night or Monday morning.

I will be able to bring many parts along so anyone interested in anything should PM me as I still have quite a few parts from a 92 ebony LS-L that had 101,000 miles. I can vary on my route a little bit if someone is close enough to my path I have a link to below, OR if you are looking for something and it turns out I have it but you are a bit out of the way, I can give you my phone number so we can make plans to meet along the highway or possibly at any of the stops I'll be making and that way I can give you a call and let you know how far away I am from a predetermined spot to meet.

Here's the basic route and stops i'll be making

I will not be going on any tollroads whatsoever as a double axle trailer is not friendly on the pockets going through tolls.

Here is a link to my parts car thread
Please refer to my initial post as I update it when I end up selling stuff, Thank you
Hi!
I see that you are stopping in Wiley Ford WV!
You can has stop here!
We has extra beds!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 03-03-2010, 08:40 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Hi!
I see that you are stopping in Wiley Ford WV!
You can has stop here!
We has extra beds!
And I saw your PM before I saw your post
Thanks a lot Tom. Helps me out a bunch.

Last edited by 1986nate; 03-04-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
And I saw your PM before I saw your post
Thanks a lot Tom. Helps me out a bunch. I forgot to ask in my PM how to get to your place. As with a lot of places, neither maps nor mapquest know your address(at least the one I got from Nate) so that would help a bit
I gave an address out ??? Just watch out for Toms movie selection.......

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 03-04-2010, 04:21 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

What day do you think you'll be gettibg tqest creek?
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 03-04-2010, 10:15 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
What day do you think you'll be gettibg tqest creek?
YT was nice enough to offer me a bed so I'll be there on Friday night/Saturday morning.

I guess I should've put days where I'd be. Basically, leaving early as hell in the morning next Thursday (March 11th), spending the night at Nate's in Hope Mills, NC, then heading up to NJ Friday, picking up the car and then heading to YT's shop. Spending the night there Friday, then Saturday heading to Eric's (somethingelse) in Fredericksburg, VA to pick up parts, then over to Svxygirl's to pick up some tires, and then to OT's to drop off Nate's 5spd/AWD conversion stuffs and spend Saturday night there. Then Sunday making the final leg home.

Last edited by 1986nate; 03-05-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Nate should arrive here sometime tonight

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 03-11-2010, 11:33 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
Nate should arrive here sometime tonight
Yes, I made it to Nate's just fine tonight.

Now, as some of you may know based off my facebook status from yesterday, to say it was a bad start to the trip would be a massive understatement.

I was driving along just fine when as normal, hit some heavy traffic about 3:30 along I-94 in Chicago (runs through downtown and I pretty much have to go this way to avoid tolls as they get really ugly when you have a double axle trailer). The next thing I notice is that the Durango seems to be pulling slightly to the left. Now the ball joints were just replaced about a month ago so I knew there was no way it could be those. I opened the window to listen if the tire was making any unusual noice indicating it was excessively low or possible flat. Couldn't hear anything. So next thing I do is wait longer to brake so I can do a much harder break as traffic is only moving at about 20 mph tops and quite often coming to a near complete stop. Well I brake hard and all of a sudden, the truck turns right. Oh crap, I've obviously got a brake problem and am currently in the middle lane of 5 lanes plus another exit access lane on the right.

So to shorten this part up, it takes me about another 4 miles until I can get the truck and trailer over to an off ramp to check it out. Stop the truck on the side of the offramp and nothing but smoke is coming from the left front. Oh Sh*t, F***, etc. Now to summarize, I'm not in the worst neighborhood of chicago but definitely not a good one so I'm not wanting to leave the truck unattended for too long but I need to figure something out. I took the wheel off to assess what was going on. The brake caliper was not releasing pressure and so the pads were "clamped" tight to the rotor. prying with the tire iron proves to do nothing so I gather my thoughts and head to the gas station right there only to find an Indian (the ones from India) and he says he's not from the area and is not sure of where an auto parts store is at all. Try the next one a block away, another fricken indian who doesn't know. This station has a service shop so I ask the mechanic if he knows of the parts stores. He proceeds to tell me they're on the street that was 3 exits before I got off (about 3 miles back). The hell I'm leaving the truck unattended that long! So I ask him if he'd be able to take a look at it (not really wanting to but its about my only choice). He says not until tomorrow so I ask if I could borrow a couple tools already knowing the answer. (I had thrown my socket/ratchet set in the truck just as a random thought luckily but the calipers on the Durango require a torx bit)

So I go to the intersection of a couple main roads and spot and ACE hardware store. Get a few differents size of torx sockets that seemed close and went back. I carefully loosen the bolts as everything is burning hot to the touch, even the rim itself was extremely hot. I pry the caliper off and there is no way its going to do anything but keep putting more and more pressure on the pads if I put them back on as is. In fact, after I got the caliper off, the pads were too close together to even put them back on so I decide that i'm just going to put the caliper back on without any pads at all. The piston will push against the rotor and once that happens, the rest of the brakes will also receive pressure. Not the best or smartest idea but honestly, what other option do I really have. I should add that the trailer does have electronic brakes so the Durango isn't responsible for all of the braking.

I end up making it through 20 more miles of stop and go, bumper to bumper traffic by carefully engine braking, leaving plenty of space in front of me, and using the little bit of brakes that I have. At this point, I figure what the hell, I made it through the worst part of braking, I might as well just drive the rest of the way to my aunt and uncle's in Indianapolis. I give them a call and have them get a caliper from their local Advance Auto Parts as I will not be there in time before they close.

So, this morning, I go out at 7am and change it only to find that this caliper will not release the pressure either. SOB!!! need a new brake line only I don't have a vehicle I can drive and both my aunt and uncle are teachers and have already left. Luckily, they called and said I could take their other car as they carpool since they both work at the same school and I go get the brake line. Replace that, then have no front brakes at all. Ugh, air in the line so I bleed the brakes and finally all is properly working. So thats my hell that I went through yesterday.

Today was a piece of cake even though I had to drive through the mountains in a steady rain and fog. At one point as I was near the VA/NC border the visibility was so bad that when I stopped at the gas station, I never even saw the stop sign for the offramp. It was the worst fog I've ever seen as I could only see about 30 feet.

But the main thing is that I made it safely here so far even with all of the "adventures". I will be driving up to Cape May tomorrow to pick up the car with a brief stop in Richmond, VA to drop off a few parts to Carlos (my92svx) and after that will be a short drive up to West Creek to YT's.
Hopefully a safe drive tomorrow as well as the rest of this trip.

Sorry for the long post, just figure'd I'd let you all know I've really gotta work to get this car

-Nate
Old 03-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

haha what an adventure, good thing nothing dramatic happened with you.
May God be with you the rest of your way.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX

Wow. Sounds like some of the trips I've been on. good luck the rest of the way.
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 03-12-2010, 07:12 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Should be driving a Ford.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 03-12-2010, 08:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg

You do realize that your trip from point B to point C involves some toll bridges and a ferry ride right? The ferry is going to cost you do to the length. For trailers they charge by the foot. Google Cape May - Lewes Ferry.

<Edit> ooops....... Little late LOL

Last edited by mikecg; 03-12-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:14 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg View Post
You do realize that your trip from point B to point C involves some toll bridges and a ferry ride right? The ferry is going to cost you do to the length. For trailers they charge by the foot. Google Cape May - Lewes Ferry.

<Edit> ooops....... Little late LOL
yeah, that was just a basic of where i was going, not the actual directions i was using

Made it back safe just a little while ago. I'm tired as hell and need sleep
Old 03-16-2010, 10:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg

Quote:

Made it back safe just a little while ago. I'm tired as hell and need sleep
Wuss Lol.

I road from Las Vegas to Delaware (3000 miles) in 3 days on a 1997 Honda CBR600 last July. I made it just fine. Although I did end up needing to buy a new bike in Delaware for the trip back. lol
Old 03-16-2010, 07:42 PM

Registered SVX

Alright, thankfully I made the rest of the trip without any more incidents. I did however end up getting stuck in traffic in Washington DC on my way from NC to Nj and at one point moved a whole 2.5 miles in an hour and 45 min. I ended up being much later than planned everywhere I went due to that brake issue as everything got pushed back by about 3 hours. Also had to load up the Claret in NJ in the midst of a heavy driving rain with 30+ mph wind gusts. All in all it was a very fun trip and I wish I could have had a lighter schedule so I could visit with people a little more or otherwise could have stopped and met up with a few more fellow SVXers.
For anyone interested, I left Wednesday the 10th around 1:00pm and got home about 9:00 am Monday the 15th. Total amount of time spent on the road was 63 hours and I traveled just about 2900 miles. Used about 220 gallons and spent about $575 in gas.