Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-27-2010, 08:20 AM

Body Paint prep Q's

Ok a little while back I bought a former Ebony that was prepped for paint from Mike and was told Eric did most of the prep work (If that is incorrect sorry my memory sucks). No problems with what was done just some questions because this will be my spring summer project.

Q1:
The body panel that mounts on the lower door above the skirt is warped/twisted or mis-shaped, will this piece mount smoothly and revert back to the shape of the door on its own? I have the ones still on the Pearlie that can be used, but looking to see if that is something normal from what others have seen.

Q2:
For the most part the body work was done very well but I didn't do it and so I can't say for sure plus i have side skirts from motorsports warehouse and fiberglass hood. My plan is to remount all the removed body panels and verify fitment check gaps and sand guide coat and sand to make sure it will be right when paint goes on. Remove body panels smooth out the areas hidden by the panels and then shoot some paint. (probably skipped a few steps but this is the general idea). Does that sound right or am I making more work for myself?

Q3: I can't decide on the paint I kind of like the flat black stuff, I was thinking I could try out the Eastwood Hot Rod Flatz and use it like that until I lose interest. Then I could sand that down and go with a proper base coat clear coat set up for a glossy black. Would I have adhesion problems if I do that? I look at the single stage eastwood paint as almost like a long term primer. This will be my first time painting too.

Comments and suggestions are welcome on this but until this winter lets up I can't get anything done on the car.