IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-25-2010, 04:56 PM

Re: What would you do with $500?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
$500??

That could buy a decent amount of recreational materials

Honestly, save your money for real engine managment and not a sidestepping chip... I am not telling you to buy a Hyrda, you can make the Megasquirt work for the car too...

Having been there, I wish I knew more about it years ago before investing so much money into ECUTune products... Night and day.

Tom

Well, I won't be buying it right now anyway, I've decided to do a few other things first. Also, having no easy access to a dyno, it would be kind of a hassle to get the car re-tuned everytime I change something. That's the thing I like about the ecutune stuff. And not wanting to make a ton of power it seems like a good cost/gain ratio to me.

That said, are you still setting up Hydras? I'm definitely not ruling it out. Are they AT compatable now?

p.s. do you have a tan passenger side door cap? I mean, when you open the door, you look down and it bridges the gap between carpet and body. Umm, I hope that makes sense...

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 02-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Nevin, no beige pass side door sills... Check with Wikedjugalo he might have one he picked a bunch of stuff up from us

Tom
Old 02-25-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Nevin, no beige pass side door sills... Check with Wikedjugalo he might have one he picked a bunch of stuff up from us

Tom

Sill! That's the word. Thanks Tom, I'll check with him.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:45 PM

Oh, and I decided what I'm going to do.

smallcar grille
motorsports springs
new stereo (mine is broken)

So, we're going more aesthetic this time, but that's ok. Gotta make 'er look good too. And my girlfriend will be happy that I have more than one CD I can listen to now! (my cd player is jammed)

And does just any old double din stereo fit in our compartment??

*edit* So yes, my budget did end up being more than $500.

Last edited by Nevin; 02-25-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:46 AM

you want to check the measurements of the Double Din and also function I know some of the touch screen ones that eject the touch screen and rotate wont work, I think an 05 Sti 6 disc cd player looks pretty good, I don't recommend going newer because I think it was year 08 that they increased the face plate size of the double din so you would have to not only modify your dash and cage you would not be able to use the door cover or even have it installed. Another thing to consider is getting the speaker adapter plates and upgrading your speakers I got the plates and plan to do the 6.5 speakers at all 4 positions with the newer foam style rather than our old paper backed speakers. Speakers are kind of a personal choice you can get and search for decent quality speakers with good High, Mid, and Low range sound quality and not pay too much at all but if you are a stereo fanatic you will probably pay more and be into name brand...
Old 02-26-2010, 08:15 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Purchase a bunch of shares in FAZ and enjoy the ride whenever this market finally crashes for real...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 02-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
Purchase a bunch of shares in FAZ and enjoy the ride whenever this market finally crashes for real...
best one so far in this entire thread. +1
Old 02-26-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowise View Post
you want to check the measurements of the Double Din and also function I know some of the touch screen ones that eject the touch screen and rotate wont work, I think an 05 Sti 6 disc cd player looks pretty good, I don't recommend going newer because I think it was year 08 that they increased the face plate size of the double din so you would have to not only modify your dash and cage you would not be able to use the door cover or even have it installed. Another thing to consider is getting the speaker adapter plates and upgrading your speakers I got the plates and plan to do the 6.5 speakers at all 4 positions with the newer foam style rather than our old paper backed speakers. Speakers are kind of a personal choice you can get and search for decent quality speakers with good High, Mid, and Low range sound quality and not pay too much at all but if you are a stereo fanatic you will probably pay more and be into name brand...

A couple that I'm looking at seth are the pioneer avic-d1 with a 6.5" touch screen, the pioneer avh-p4100 with a 7" touch screen and the jensen vm9223 with a 7" touch screen. I want a dvd player so I can divert my attention while driving and cause horrible accidents (I've just always wanted one) and these are all fixed faces, IIRC. I'm not a huge name brand guy, but I've always had pioneer stuff and its been very reliable, if not as feature-laden as other brands.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:55 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

$1000? Paint, or trans fund.

Also, I'd go with a single-din head unit. It'll make doin the work putting it in so much easier, plus they're cheaper, and you can get a pocket or cupholder for the second slot, both of which would be nice to have. Also, I think you'll have an easier time of getting the door to close over it.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
A couple that I'm looking at seth are the pioneer avic-d1 with a 6.5" touch screen, the pioneer avh-p4100 with a 7" touch screen and the jensen vm9223 with a 7" touch screen. I want a dvd player so I can divert my attention while driving and cause horrible accidents (I've just always wanted one) and these are all fixed faces, IIRC. I'm not a huge name brand guy, but I've always had pioneer stuff and its been very reliable, if not as feature-laden as other brands.
DVD player would be pretty cool hope the stereo cover can still hide it (makes it safer from theives if they can't see it). Still would recommend the speakers the adapter plates for the rear speakers were pretty cheap but nothing you couldn't make (I didn't feel like it so I bought them). This allows the 6.5" rounds to go where the 6x9's go in back.

Just make sure to do some of the research ahead of time. Most of the indash DVD players have a lock out that you will have to bypass or make modifications to allow it to play a DVD when the car isn't in park. Most of this type stuff has been figured out though and can be found searching through forums. I too am not some audiophile I just have specific things I want a stereo to do. There was a single DIN I put in my legacy from Crutchfield it was the cheapest of all I looked at but it also was the ONLY one with everything I wanted in the head unit... bluetooth, HD radio, USB, Aux Input, CD, detachable face, etc. I am very pleased with that unit in that car.

Another thing I have found is that remote start systems can make a car radio act funny. Nothing that you can't power it off and back on for but for those doing a remote start it is something to keep in mind, (has something to do with the accessory power and battery power and remote start not moving the actual key to the start/run position).
Old 02-27-2010, 09:03 AM

Alright, it seems like a bit of research is in order. Which I don't mind at all!

The only thing that is really on my list is a DVD player with a 6.5 -7" screen. Not sure if a single din units exists that can do that with a flip out screen given our recessed stereo.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:54 AM

Check Crutchfield I did a brief check and they have single din DVD units with fold out screen and also double din unit. they also can tell you if it is a direct fit to the svx, modified fit, or won't fit. chances are a "won't fit" just would require more modification to get it installed and looking right. There is some cheap Valor units that would be a good alternative to try before spending 600 or more for the alpine. But definitely up to you. Good luck
Old 02-27-2010, 11:05 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I've done a lot of messing with the head unit in my car, mostly to rearrange the wiring. If i were to have to replace the double din unit in mine, I would put a pocket or slide-out cupholder in the top slot, and then a single din head unit in the bottom slot, with a fold out screen that will come out over the upper slot.

The hard part I think when it comes to making the door able to close, is the top slot. The black plastic piece on the back of the door can be removed for a little extra room, or if it's just a volume knob that's blocking it, then you can cut/melt a hole in the black cover to make space for that.

Also, many head units will have fitment problems in the back. You might have to cut the bracket that holds it to make it fit more easily.

Last edited by icingdeath88; 02-27-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:44 PM

i got a double din 7" touchscreen installed in my car atm. doest look the best because when i got the car none of the trim peices were there for the inside of the radio door. the previous owner must have messed em up when he put in a cheapo double din cassete player. the only problem i had installing was that you really have to bundle up the wires i[ neat and tightly and push em back down and left when you are inserting the stereo in. the bottom of the screen moves forward and the top slides down to reveal the dvd player. the bottom left corner of the screen clears the redio cover. but not by alot. i got another svx now so i think im going to go with a double din fixed face. should make it easier to have all the trim peices fit and clean it up nicely. hope that helps
Ken

ps excuse the dirt and dust