IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-22-2010, 06:57 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: To new or prospective SVX owners

I'm not currently using any of my cars mostly due to economic circumstances, but for a complex top end car they are not all that expensive to own and run, at least in relative terms.

They DO need the attention to detail shown by dcb to keep them right, and in that respect they are possibly not the ideal student vehicle if the money for this maintenance is not available.

Just to illustrate how an SVX is expensive to run in Ireland [as opposed to expensive to service and maintain] here are some running cost comparisons for you.

Annual insurance $1150
Annual road tax $2150

Fuel currently costs 1.25Euro per litre.

In US terms that is approx $1.77 per litre and is $6.69 or so per US gallon.

So to fill the car up would usually take $115 or thereabouts. Considering that when I was using the SVX as a daily driver I normally got the equivalent of 17 or 18 mpg in US gallons, high mileage in the SVX is an expensive business.

So it continually amuses me that in the US there are so many young SVX owners and SVX drivers. Trust me when I say that in Ireland or in England there are NO/nada/zilch/zero students driving SVXes.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-26-2010, 11:03 PM

Re: To new or prospective SVX owners

I have to agree with all who say we own an SVX because they are great cars to look at, and even greater cars to drive. I was lucky enough to have driven several when they were new, and couldn't afford one. I knew I had to have one, and when the opportunity presented itself to get a rust-free but sunburned '92 Pearlie in 2007, I leapt at it. Yes, it is an expensive car to maintain properly, but as several have said, without car payments, it's not that much. And they can be improved, not by garish customizing, but by thoughtful mods such as the Koni conversion I helped document at RojoRocket's place last week. Keep up with the routine maintenance. Don't overstress them by doing things with them they weren't designed for. Enjoy them for what they are, one of the finest grand tourers ever developed, and a car with stunning lines, even nearly 20 years after it was designed.
I always have to remind the nay-sayers in my family that even with three cars, (all with 100,000 miles or more on them,) my total costs, insurance, repairs, etc. are far less than if I was making payments on ONE new car that wouldn't give me as much pleasure. Treat it right, respect it, and enjoy the things it can give in great measure.
'93 Mercury (Aussie) Capri