Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2009, 05:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Re: timing belt change question

smokin_dodge, what do you plan to do with the svx carcass once you've removed its soul?
Old 10-15-2009, 11:01 AM

the guy who owns the van that im working on bought the motor from a guy in san antonio texas. the guy even pulled the motor for him, if i remember correctly cost around $750 for motor and wiring harness.

i think they were planning on parting out the rest of the car but i dont know any more than that.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin_dodge View Post
hmm. something about that looks to good to be true.

ive been looking online from a number of recommended sources and the total bill is coming out to be much more than what their advertised price is. ive been quoted nearly $100 just for the timing belt.

i appreciate the help but im not buying from that company until i can do some more research on them.

If you are talking about the ebay company in eastern Washington state, many of have already done the research for you.

Great products and good prices. Good people!

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 10-15-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
If you are talking about the ebay company in eastern Washington state, many of have already done the research for you.

Great products and good prices. Good people!

Keith
I use them all the time... Just do not user the water pump... Have had issues on several seperate occaisons

Tom
Old 10-15-2009, 07:54 PM

Registered SVX

Rockauto has great pricing on timing belts.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:38 PM

well i finally finished my research on the idlers. I have decided to test them indiviually for play when i pull the timing belt. i talked to a tech at pelham auto today and got the word on the difference between 2.2 and 3.3 idlers. they are different, but no one seems to know why.

i also got a quote from pelham auto, whom i have been recommended to by multiple svx vanagon guys who swear by them. in total for all idlers it comes to $850 for koyo aftermarket parts. something about the ebay parts doesnt add up in my head. the parts from pelham to the best of my knowledge are japanese and im guessing the ebay parts are chinese and thus the huge cost difference.

i dunno bout yall but chinese parts on a jap motor just doesnt make sense.....

i also did some looking up about the ebay company pci. they say on their website they have been around since 1921, and i dunno bout you but im pretty sure there werent too many exotic european cars on the pacific coast in the 20's, if they have been around for so long why do they use a hotmail account?? and when i tried to get in contact with them the voice mailboxes were full, and im guessing either he never checks it or hasnt ever set it up. im not trying to talk bad or flame the company or anyone who has used them, it just seems a little shady to me.

as far as cheaper isnt always better i completely agree, but in my line of work you get exactly what you pay for. for example i have a huskvarna 266 chainsaw with a 24" bar. i jumped a chain and needed a new bar so i went to tractor supply and got a bar (non-oregon because the grade of oregon parts is end-user/chinese that they have) supposedly commercial grade, spent $100 on it and the chain. it lasted no more than an hour afterwhich i returned it and went to the saw shop and forked out $240 for a pro-comp bar and chain.

another example would be harbor freight. yes they have some good tools, but most of them are horrible chinese knock-offs that fail within 5 minutes. i hear countless stories of guys buying 180 tig welders for maybe a few hundred and never get the thing to work. the tig in our shop, miller syncwave 180, i believe cost almost 2K when we bought it. weve never had a problem with it. go blue!

i guess ive just had too many bad experiences with cheap stuff, id just rather spend the money and get high-quality parts. save myself some headache farther down the road.

Last edited by smokin_dodge; 10-15-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

They are wider to make up for the wider belt... Someone already said this

this is not magic or hard... Its a timing belt

Tom
Old 10-15-2009, 09:18 PM

well i took a set of dial calipers to them when i was talking to the guy today at pelham. the 2.2 smooth idlers and 3.3 smoother idlers have the exact same OD, the bearings have the same ID and OD - yet they are different parts....
Old 10-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by yt View Post
They are wider to make up for the wider belt... Someone already said this

this is not magic or hard... Its a timing belt

Tom
Quote:
well i took a set of dial calipers to them when i was talking to the guy today at pelham. the 2.2 smooth idlers and 3.3 smoother idlers have the exact same OD, the bearings have the same ID and OD - yet they are different parts....
Maybe if I put it in caps??
THE BELT IS WIDER, SO THE PULLEY HAS TO BE WIDER...

The OD is the same, the bolt is the same, I'm using a 3.3 pulley on my 2.2. It wouldn't work If i wanted to use the covers.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
well i finally finished my research on the idlers. I have decided to test them indiviually for play when i pull the timing belt. i talked to a tech at pelham auto today and got the word on the difference between 2.2 and 3.3 idlers. they are different, but no one seems to know why.

i also got a quote from pelham auto, whom i have been recommended to by multiple svx vanagon guys who swear by them. in total for all idlers it comes to $850 for koyo aftermarket parts. something about the ebay parts doesnt add up in my head. the parts from pelham to the best of my knowledge are japanese and im guessing the ebay parts are chinese and thus the huge cost difference.

i dunno bout yall but chinese parts on a jap motor just doesnt make sense.....

i also did some looking up about the ebay company pci. they say on their website they have been around since 1921, and i dunno bout you but im pretty sure there werent too many exotic european cars on the pacific coast in the 20's, if they have been around for so long why do they use a hotmail account?? and when i tried to get in contact with them the voice mailboxes were full, and im guessing either he never checks it or hasnt ever set it up. im not trying to talk bad or flame the company or anyone who has used them, it just seems a little shady to me.

as far as cheaper isnt always better i completely agree, but in my line of work you get exactly what you pay for. for example i have a huskvarna 266 chainsaw with a 24" bar. i jumped a chain and needed a new bar so i went to tractor supply and got a bar (non-oregon because the grade of oregon parts is end-user/chinese that they have) supposedly commercial grade, spent $100 on it and the chain. it lasted no more than an hour afterwhich i returned it and went to the saw shop and forked out $240 for a pro-comp bar and chain.

another example would be harbor freight. yes they have some good tools, but most of them are horrible chinese knock-offs that fail within 5 minutes. i hear countless stories of guys buying 180 tig welders for maybe a few hundred and never get the thing to work. the tig in our shop, miller syncwave 180, i believe cost almost 2K when we bought it. weve never had a problem with it. go blue!

i guess ive just had too many bad experiences with cheap stuff, id just rather spend the money and get high-quality parts. save myself some headache farther down the road.
To each his own...
Old 10-17-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
Maybe if I put it in caps??
THE BELT IS WIDER, SO THE PULLEY HAS TO BE WIDER...

The OD is the same, the bolt is the same, I'm using a 3.3 pulley on my 2.2. It wouldn't work If i wanted to use the covers.
i talked to the head mechanic at 1st Subaru and he says they are the same. he is running (1) 2.2 idler on his 3.3

hocrest, are you trying to tell me you run your motor without a timing belt cover?? i dunno bout you but that has to be one of the dumbest things ive ever heard of. all it takes is for something to hit that belt and your motor is toast.

i can see it now, your driving along at about 65 maybe 2500rpm when you hit a rock, your belt sheers, and then your pistons destroy your valves and valve train and your looking at a brand new motor.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:52 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
i dunno bout you but that has to be one of the dumbest things ive ever heard of. all it takes is for something to hit that belt and your motor is toast.

i can see it now, your driving along at about 65 maybe 2500rpm when you hit a rock, your belt sheers, and then your pistons destroy your valves and valve train and your looking at a brand new motor.

The 3.3H6 is a non-interference motor.......

Why come here and ask questions if you're going to just tell people they're wrong? Great way to make friends!

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
i talked to the head mechanic at 1st Subaru and he says they are the same. he is running (1) 2.2 idler on his 3.3

hocrest, are you trying to tell me you run your motor without a timing belt cover?? i dunno bout you but that has to be one of the dumbest things ive ever heard of. all it takes is for something to hit that belt and your motor is toast.

Your tech is either lying, or just stupid.

The EG33 timing belt is wider ( "width" not "diameter")

This belt requires a wider idler for the belt to have sufficient surface area to ride on.

I have run engines w/ covers, numerous others have run engines without covers. I am going to venture a guess that there may be 1billion other people right now running engines without covers. You might want to buff up on your Suby Knowledge Mopar Man before you start telling Suby guys what to do with their engines

Tom
Old 10-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Yeah, so sorry. We're all wrong and you're right, go ahead and use a set of pulley's for a 2.2 on your EG-33.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
Yeah, so sorry. We're all wrong and you're right, go ahead and use a set of pulley's for a 2.2 on your EG-33.
Again... To each his own...

Keith