Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Competition Motorsports

Old 04-08-2008, 06:08 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

What are the Autocrossers rollin' on this year??

Alright, well I just ordered a set of 225/50/16 Falken Azenis RT-615's from the cheapest place I have ever found them!!!

Discounttire.com has then on back order for $124/each and shipping from the Utah warehouse to Raleigh, NC is $79

edgeracing.com has them for $103 and shipping from Miami, FL to Raleigh, NC is only $40

I was thinking about trying out the Bridgestone RE-01's since I'd heard great things about them. But they were another $32 each more expensive and I just couldn't justify moving up from Azenis at the moment. If I did I'd go for a set of Avon Tech R's... Those might be my next set though... Hoping these Azenis will last for atleast 10 Autocrosses

~ Chris

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 04-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Chris,
The 615s should be fine, just keep an eye on their temperature. They tend to get slippery if you overheat them. Talk to local folks that run them to see how hot they let them get. You'll probably want to go out and get a sprayer and fill it with ice water, especially as the days get hotter.
-Bill
p.s. don't the 615s come in a 245/45-16 size?

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 04-08-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Chris,
The 615s should be fine, just keep an eye on their temperature. They tend to get slippery if you overheat them. Talk to local folks that run them to see how hot they let them get. You'll probably want to go out and get a sprayer and fill it with ice water, especially as the days get hotter.
-Bill
p.s. don't the 615s come in a 245/45-16 size?
Roger that Bill!... I plan on getting a Sprayer and a good light hydraulic jack in the next few weeks (depending on funds)... The Azenis don't come in anything larger on a 16 in diameter ... I figured that I'd atleast burn through these for 10 or so Autocrosses and then see if a set of Avon Tech R's is in my future after that

~ Chris

** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 04-09-2008, 07:49 AM

I am pimping 2 sets, Toyo RA-1 and Kumho V710, on my grocery getter wagon.

I autocross, therefore I am.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Bridgestone RE070's on Sti take off's... They stick pretty good yet never leave me disappointed on the street.

tom
Old 04-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Hooiser 22.5x10x16 bias plys. Ditto on the sprayer. I could cook my azenis 215s in 2 runs with the xt6. Harbor freight has a decent jack for a nice price on sale ($79.99) for an aluminum. It isn't great but comparable to most $150ish aluminum jacks out there.

The azenis are a decent tire to drive to the event too. Mine were about good for 20 events.

As most can attest to buy cheap tires to start as you become more experienced better tires are nice plus you didn't flat spot them while learning.

Check out vulcan tire too for pricing.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

245/35/18 Kumho V710's wrapped around gold 18x8" OZ Ultraleggera wheels (18lbs each).

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-11-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Hooiser 22.5x10x16 bias plys. Ditto on the sprayer. I could cook my azenis 215s in 2 runs with the xt6. Harbor freight has a decent jack for a nice price on sale ($79.99) for an aluminum. It isn't great but comparable to most $150ish aluminum jacks out there.

The azenis are a decent tire to drive to the event too. Mine were about good for 20 events.

As most can attest to buy cheap tires to start as you become more experienced better tires are nice plus you didn't flat spot them while learning.

Check out vulcan tire too for pricing.
Hahaha... I hope you're not suggesting I'm just now learning Ben... ... I've been Autocrossing for at least 6 years now, but I'd never bought a set of dedicated Autocross wheels and tires for the SVX before until now... That and the fact that I've probably Autocrossed the SVX 1/8 of the time I actually make it out to an event... Lets see, I'll take a trip down memory lane since I have the time and am bored at the moment...

Cars I've Autocrossed:

- 2007 Lotus Elise (SS)
- 2004 Honda S2000 (AS)
- 2007 Saturn Sky turbo (AS)
- 2002 Corvette Z06 (ASP) <=== That thing is a BLAST and a challenge to keep in a straight line!!!
- 2001 VW Jetta TDI (HS)
- 2001 Mazda Miata SE (CS)
- 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS (STS) <=== By far the BEST car I've EVER autocrossed... Won 2 trophies this year alone in that car and took FTD by nearly 2 seconds at the last Autocross with it
- 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX (STX)
- 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi (AS)
- 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi (SM) <=== About 400whp!!! Not good for Autocrossing to say the least...
- 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi (STU)
- 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STi (SM)
- 2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5 sedan (or whatever they are called nowdays)...

And finally....

- 1995 Subaru SVX (SM)

There are probably a few more cars I could add to the list, but I can't remember that far back at the moment...

I'll have to go check out Harbor Freight too for that sprayer and Jack!!

~ Chris

Last edited by GreenMarine; 04-11-2008 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Thought of one more ;-)
Old 04-11-2008, 08:26 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I just ordered my 275/40/17 Azenis from (of all places) Sears last night. They had a better price than Edge Racing, which blew my mind. SHould be here in a couple days.

The 'stones should be the favorite for my class, but they don't make a 275. Driving a RWD car in STU, I'm allowed a 275. So, dammit, I'm going to run a 275.

The Avon Tech-R was replaced by the Tech-RA in 2006. The Tech-RA was then discontinued at the end of the year. I was bitterly disappointed, as I used both tires. The RA was a huge improvement over the R, mostly in construction. I also know an engineer at Cooper, who owns Avon, so I got some fantastic advice and support for the tires.

So, yeah, no Avons for you.

I did our first test and tune day on the Sumitomo HTR-III tires the dealer put on my RX-8. They wore well for the one day we ran on them, but I don't want to use them again. It was only in the mid-60s outside, but they overheated halfway through each run. We were cooling them with water in between runs, but that wasn't enough. The car was most responsive at the beginning of a run, but halfway through it simply wouldn't turn in any more. The sidewalls are very soft. Even for such a low-profile tire on 18s, I feel a lot of sidewall squirm.

On a 60-second course I was less than 2 seconds off a guy in another RX-8 on 710s. If the Azenis are on the car by our first event, next weekend, I hope to be even with him.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 04-11-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets View Post
I just ordered my 275/40/17 Azenis from (of all places) Sears last night. They had a better price than Edge Racing, which blew my mind. SHould be here in a couple days.

The 'stones should be the favorite for my class, but they don't make a 275. Driving a RWD car in STU, I'm allowed a 275. So, dammit, I'm going to run a 275.

The Avon Tech-R was replaced by the Tech-RA in 2006. The Tech-RA was then discontinued at the end of the year. I was bitterly disappointed, as I used both tires. The RA was a huge improvement over the R, mostly in construction. I also know an engineer at Cooper, who owns Avon, so I got some fantastic advice and support for the tires.

So, yeah, no Avons for you.

I did our first test and tune day on the Sumitomo HTR-III tires the dealer put on my RX-8. They wore well for the one day we ran on them, but I don't want to use them again. It was only in the mid-60s outside, but they overheated halfway through each run. We were cooling them with water in between runs, but that wasn't enough. The car was most responsive at the beginning of a run, but halfway through it simply wouldn't turn in any more. The sidewalls are very soft. Even for such a low-profile tire on 18s, I feel a lot of sidewall squirm.

On a 60-second course I was 2 seconds off a guy in another RX-8 on 710s. If the Azenis are on the car by our first event, next weekend, I hope to be even with him.
You got them from Sears??? I just went on Sears.com and there wern't and Falkens on there... What website did you go to??

~ Chris

Old 04-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

You've never used r-comps or similar though right, it is a completely different ball game. You'll find out the first time you lock 'em up and flat spot 'em. Been there and done it as well as every other person who's gone to deticated tires has (unless they've got a big nose and lie!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX View Post
Hahaha... I hope you're not suggesting I'm just now learning Ben... ... I've been Autocrossing for at least 6 years now, but I'd never bought a set of dedicated Autocross wheels and tires for the SVX before until now... That and the fact that I've probably Autocrossed the SVX 1/8 of the time I actually make it out to an event... Lets see, I'll take a trip down memory lane since I have the time and am bored at the moment...

Cars I've Autocrossed:

- 2007 Lotus Elise (SS)
- 2004 Honda S2000 (AS)
- 2007 Saturn Sky turbo (AS)
- 2002 Corvette Z06 (ASP) <=== That thing is a BLAST and a challenge to keep in a straight line!!!
- 2001 VW Jetta TDI (HS)
- 2001 Mazda Miata SE (CS)
- 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS (STS) <=== By far the BEST car I've EVER autocrossed... Won 2 trophies this year alone in that car and took FTD by nearly 2 seconds at the last Autocross with it
- 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX (STX)
- 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi (AS)
- 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi (SM) <=== About 400whp!!! Not good for Autocrossing to say the least...
- 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi (STU)
- 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STi (SM)
- 2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5 sedan (or whatever they are called nowdays)...

And finally....

- 1995 Subaru SVX (SM)

There are probably a few more cars I could add to the list, but I can't remember that far back at the moment...

I'll have to go check out Harbor Freight too for that sprayer and Jack!!

~ Chris
Old 04-11-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
You've never used r-comps or similar though right, it is a completely different ball game. You'll find out the first time you lock 'em up and flat spot 'em. Been there and done it as well as every other person who's gone to deticated tires has (unless they've got a big nose and lie!)
Used them once, and you are right... It is a different ball game totally... The video is on Facebook. They were on that 400hp STi (that was set up for dragracing I might add) so that made them even worse... It'd take forever for the power to come in, then when it did it all came VERY FAST and you had to let off to control the car, but then you had to get back on the gas again and you were out of boost again... Then you turn into a corner expecting alittle understeer and there's NONE... It was different for sure... Honestly I didn't like the experience at all... I prefer to stick with tires that I'll be driving on the road (atleast DOT legal tires)...

~ Chris

Old 04-11-2008, 03:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX View Post
You got them from Sears??? I just went on Sears.com and there wern't and Falkens on there... What website did you go to??

~ Chris
Get this: I went to the counter and talked to a person.

Sears has to special-order Azenis, but they carry the entire Falken line of tires and wheels.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-11-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets View Post
Get this: I went to the counter and talked to a person.

Sears has to special-order Azenis, but they carry the entire Falken line of tires and wheels.
Damn it... I should have done that ... Oh well, I'll be sure to do it next time

Dare I ask how much they were each and what size you got??

~ Chris

Old 04-11-2008, 06:24 PM

Nevermind about the size... Just saw... 274/40/17's... Damn, those are some big tires ... Make sure to post pics up when you get them on the car! I wanna see an RX-8 with 275's on it

~ Chris

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: