Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-12-2008, 08:53 AM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
Angry After 16 Years...

I am no longer an SVX owner. I had a relatively minor accident about a week ago and the insurance company just called with their verdict - the estimate to repair is more than the value. They said the cost to repair is more than $4000 and the car, even in good condition, is not worth that much (by their estimates). Looking at Ebay sales, they seem to be right. So, after 16 years (I bought it new at the dealership in March 1992) and 163,000 miles, I have to move on.

I have been on this list almost from the start and will still look in from time to time and will list stuff I may find to sell and whatever.

Hey, I may even show up at Reading as I still value the connections I have made with this car over the years.

Gary

2002 Porsche Boxster
2019 Outback Touring
2020 BMW 330xi
1992 SVX (original owner) RIP
1970 Norton Commando
1969 Triumph T100C
Old 02-12-2008, 09:03 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Say it aint so Gary????? If you ever need the fix again, i am sure we can line you up with another. sorry to hear it. What are you doing with the "remains" we might be able to fix it up at my new shop

Tom
Old 02-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Original Owner 1992-2008

It was towed as the radiator cracked or something. Anyway, there was antifreeze spilling out so I assume the radiator was toast but it could have been a hose. State Farm then had it piacked up from the towing company and had it taken to the lot of Car Tech Auctions in Avenel. The damage was to the passenger side front corner. Didn't look like it was too extensive, but the hood has a slight buckle to it and, of course the turn signal shattered. I don't know what else though State Farm said it needed new bumper cover too.

I would guess that you could contact either Car Tech Auctions (800.868.4700 I think) or State Farm if you wanted to buy it for repair or parts.

And, damn, I just spent all that time and money on the exhaust!!

Tom, if you want, give me a call - 973.590.4361.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Say it aint so Gary????? If you ever need the fix again, i am sure we can line you up with another. sorry to hear it. What are you doing with the "remains" we might be able to fix it up at my new shop

Tom

2002 Porsche Boxster
2019 Outback Touring
2020 BMW 330xi
1970 Norton Commando
1969 Triumph T100C
Old 02-12-2008, 09:16 AM

What you may not know

Hello Gary,

Sorry to hear it. Did you settle yet with them? Buy the remains and se if you can fix her up.

Also, what you may not know is that aside form your cars value a insurance company is obligated to refund any repairs that you have recently done to the car. I had an Audi stolen a few years ago. The car was worth 10K according to the insurance company. Just a few months before I had a complete engine rebuild costing me some $2500 and new mags with tires put on. Luckily I had a picture of the car with the new mags as I could not find the receipt for them but the engine was done at the dealer so glad I paid the taxes. They had to repay me the 10K plus the $2500 for the rebuild and another $2000 for the mags and tires as the cars evaluation they provide is always based on standard factory specs. They do depreciate the value of the recent add ons but its still more money in your pocket. Even tinted windows they have to refund a portion of.

Max
Old 02-12-2008, 09:30 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreIBNR View Post
I am no longer an SVX owner. I had a relatively minor accident about a week ago and the insurance company just called with their verdict - the estimate to repair is more than the value. They said the cost to repair is more than $4000 and the car, even in good condition, is not worth that much (by their estimates). Looking at Ebay sales, they seem to be right. So, after 16 years (I bought it new at the dealership in March 1992) and 163,000 miles, I have to move on.

I have been on this list almost from the start and will still look in from time to time and will list stuff I may find to sell and whatever.

Hey, I may even show up at Reading as I still value the connections I have made with this car over the years.

Gary
Gary, sorry to hear it. You are one of The Few. We have very few listed who are original owners. I remember you from years back before the Network as well.

Keep checking in man, nice to hear from you anytime.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-12-2008, 09:34 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Get ahold of the Ins co and buy it back. It doesn't sound like anything that can't be fixed...

You need to remain an "original owner"
Old 02-12-2008, 10:37 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
My car was estimated over $3500 in damages for a cracked radiator, damaged bumper and slight misalignment of the upper radiator support.

I ended up replacing the radiator myself and getting the bumper/grill replaced and repainted for only about $700.

They didn't even take my car away from me. Allstate said my car was worth nothing to them so I got to keep it.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 02-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Parent

Gary, if your SVX was more than just an appliance, the below is the correct answer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TE1221 View Post
My car was estimated over $3500 in damages for a cracked radiator, damaged bumper and slight misalignment of the upper radiator support.

I ended up replacing the radiator myself and getting the bumper/grill replaced and repainted for only about $700.

They didn't even take my car away from me. Allstate said my car was worth nothing to them so I got to keep it.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Original Owner 1992-2008

I believe mine had a bit more damage than that - fender, turn signal, maybe headlight (I don't know if it broke or not), hood buckled. I have no idea about any other more hidden damage. But it will be looked into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry'Z (NJ) View Post
Gary, if your SVX was more than just an appliance, the below is the correct answer...

2002 Porsche Boxster
2019 Outback Touring
2020 BMW 330xi
1970 Norton Commando
1969 Triumph T100C
Old 02-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreIBNR View Post
I believe mine had a bit more damage than that - fender, turn signal, maybe headlight (I don't know if it broke or not), hood buckled. I have no idea about any other more hidden damage. But it will be looked into.
With parts from the people here it'll still be way less than the $4000+ that the insurance company quoted you.

I'm sorry for you loss though I can't imagine what I'd do to the people who took my original '92 away from me (if I had one )

Good luck!

Dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 02-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Siren of the Pleiades

Send a message via AIM to SUBBYRU89
16 years is a long time to just walk away..I agree with them up there and say buy it back.
'89 XT6 Pearl White~JuiceBox (Project)
'92 SVX BoverP~Peej (Down for the moment) 1st Stage II trans installed by AWD,15 & 20 min mods,...
Old 02-12-2008, 02:00 PM

Registered SVX
Arrow Save your SVX

Gary,

I agree with everyone else. Buy it Back. As an Original owner you owe it to yourself and to your SVX to get it back and fix it for far less than $4000. If you read my posts from 2005, you will see that I bought a Red 96 Lsi on ebay that had a salvaged title. It too was heavily damaged and the creaps that fixed it did it an unjustice by not repainting the replacement parts under the hood. Right fender, right frame rail, radiator support, hood and bumper were all replaced from a 92 Teal. Took me over a year to get a clear title, which wouldnt have been possible if not for the great people of this network. You have everything working in your favor, and in the least, if you dont want it, you can save it from the crusher and sell it to someone here. Im sure your insurance company doesnt want it, there is no market other than here for smashed SVX's. Go Get your SVX Back!

Good Luck!
Old 02-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
4k is damn near nothing broken, trust me. buy it back from them, take the cash, and fix it
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 02-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
You could do what I "did". Have it appraised as an 03 Honda Odyssey.
5k in repairs? No sweat, there.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:58 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
hmm, and you said youc couldnt buy it back? i work for a glass co and we have an account with car tech.

i would buy it back if i were you.. just imo. esp that you bought it new...