IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-14-2008, 06:09 AM
SVX- My daily driving Corvette

Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SURTEESS View Post
The mirrors on my Dec 95 are non-motorised, but they do fold - both forwards & backwards.......(one of them has loose mirror glass, is there anyway of tightening this up?)

thanks

Steve
Auckland, New Zealand
Fowards and Backwards? I didn't know that
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 01-14-2008, 08:38 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
The mirrors on my Dec 95 are non-motorised, but they do fold - both forwards & backwards.......(one of them has loose mirror glass, is there anyway of tightening this up?)

thanks

Steve
Auckland, New Zealand
Anybody reading this who may have motorised closure [i.e. you own a JDM car] do not try folding your mirror forwards, you will break the mechanism!!

If the mirrors do not have closure motors, then they will fold forwards or back OK.

Steve, describe how the mirror glass is "loose". The glass panel is stuck on to a flat plastic plate. This plate pivots vertically or horizontally so that the mirror can be set for driver position.

Is your glass loose from the plastic plate, or is the plastic plate flapping about?

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-14-2008, 10:13 AM

Cool loose glass

Well - I bought the car second hand 12 years ago (does that make me the longest surviving SVX owner?) it had only 15k on the clock - the car is a red Dec 95 with now only 115km done & yes no the number plate is not for sale.

The glass shakes (maybe 2-3mm when pushed at top/bottom/side to side) - I suspect that it is on a ball socket & there is some sort of clamping arrangement arround the ball that was loose at the time that I bought the car - it is quite annoying at night as the lights of following cars seem to flicker & catch your eye - the other mirror is tight on the pivot point.

I have full set of manuals & have not seen any postings as to what the mechanism is (or for that matter how to get the mirror off) - I presume you need to remove the door lining etc ....

Any help would be great as this is the only thing I have had to do to the car in all the years that I have owned it (apart form adding a towing hitch, & the JDM had a rear window shelf de-ioniser/blower for the rear passengers to get some fresh air).

Pictures are on the following pages - all taken in Auckland, New Zealand.

http://www.subarusvx.com/images/carpics/red/red074.jpg

http://www.subarusvx.com/images/carpics/red/red075.jpg

http://www.subarusvx.com/images/carpics/red/red076.jpg

http://www.subarusvx.com/images/carpics/red/red077.jpg

thanks for any help (or photos / links on the subject)

Steve
Old 01-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Well - I bought the car second hand 12 years ago (does that make me the longest surviving SVX owner?) it had only 15k on the clock - the car is a red Dec 95 with now only 115km done & yes no the number plate is not for sale.

The glass shakes (maybe 2-3mm when pushed at top/bottom/side to side) - I suspect that it is on a ball socket & there is some sort of clamping arrangement arround the ball that was loose at the time that I bought the car - it is quite annoying at night as the lights of following cars seem to flicker & catch your eye - the other mirror is tight on the pivot point.

I have full set of manuals & have not seen any postings as to what the mechanism is (or for that matter how to get the mirror off) - I presume you need to remove the door lining etc ....

Any help would be great as this is the only thing I have had to do to the car in all the years that I have owned it (apart form adding a towing hitch, & the JDM had a rear window shelf de-ioniser/blower for the rear passengers to get some fresh air).

Pictures are on the following pages - all taken in Auckland, New Zealand.

http://www.subarusvx.com/images/carpics/red/red074.jpg

http://www.subarusvx.com/images/carpics/red/red075.jpg

http://www.subarusvx.com/images/carpics/red/red076.jpg

http://www.subarusvx.com/images/carpics/red/red077.jpg

thanks for any help (or photos / links on the subject)

Steve
Oh, so your car is 1 of 1! I have seen the tow hitch picture before, nice car you have.

Steve, you did not answer my query as to whether the mirror glass is loose from the plastic backing card [you could check this by noting if the plastic lip remains all around the mirror glass as you move the glass the 2-3mm you mention]

I suspect the glass is secure to the plastic, and the whole assembly is loose and wobbly. There may be an easy cure for this. Attend carefully.

You will be aware the mirror moves smoothly in the left-right or up-down axes when you use the electric controller. You may not be aware that the mirror pivot can be moved manually through a very broad range independent of the motor. This is so that you can arrange the mirror in the best position relative to your seating position. You are correct about the ball & socket arrangement, but each mirror pivot will move for physical pushing through a number of "steps". These steps seem to be about 5 degrees apart, and when you have selected a step or spot, this then becomes the central position around which the motor moves the glass plane, right-left, up-down.

If the one "step" you are using has come loose, there is the possibility if you can move it to a nearby position, the new position might be tighter. If all the positions on that mirror are shaky, then you will have no option but to take off the mirror by taking off the screws at the back, like you suggest.

Here is how you should check it out; first, before you try the shaky mirror, try out the steps on the good passenger side. Grip the mirror housing firmly, with a thumb on the glass on each side. Press firmly one side, letting the other thumb up, of course, until you hear the dull inner click as it moves position. The first time you try this you will probably push it three or four clicks or more, so go easy.

Now that you know how much pressure to apply to achieve a click, try the same on your loose mirror. If you manage to click it into a nearby tight position, you problem is solved, just readjust with your electric switch. If it won't click, or if all positions are loose, then you must take off the housing and tighten the ball joint.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-14-2008, 02:21 PM

Cool loose mirror answer

Sorry - the mirror is not loose from the backing plastic, so will check what you suggest tonight, will let you know tomorrow.

thanks again.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Best of luck with it then. Let us know what you find out.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
That is a very nice looking car. The only other thing I might mention is that your wheels are on backwards, but maybe not, you are in the southern hemisphere.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 01-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
I WANT you center tail light bar
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 01-14-2008, 04:51 PM

Cool

Sorry the light is not up for grabs - but there is a guy here in Auckland who is wrecking a couple of JDM SVXs - got the rear (big) light from him after I stuck a bike pedle through the original light + the rear tray de-ioniser / blower

- the NZ version & USA versions of light are different eg

NZ

red reflector // white rev // SVX name // white rev // red reflector

USA

red stop light // white rev // SVX name // white rev // red stop light

the NZ (and maybe Australia?) had no stop light in the cluster only a reflector, but the wiring was in place for the "upmarket version. Similar issues for the front headlights, NZ (non JDM) models had the fog lights blanked off (but in this case no wiring, and other lights used different shape connectors for the other lights).

I can give you guys contact details for the guy wrecking the 2 SVXs if you want - I thought about getting the leather seat cover from USA SVX as your passenger side is mostly new (due to fact that you guys drive from other side of car).
Old 01-14-2008, 06:12 PM

Registered SVX
i just want it because its the same as our us tail light bars but yours is in black letters and ours isn't
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 01-14-2008, 06:26 PM

black letters ???

but I got mine from a wrecker in the USA ... you mean there are other differences in the lights???
Old 01-14-2008, 06:27 PM

wheels on backwards...

Yes they got fixed "very" soon after the pictures were posted a few years ago..
Old 01-14-2008, 06:47 PM

Registered SVX
in your 4th pic it looks like black letters and the white lights are in different positions then ours
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 01-15-2008, 10:15 AM

Cool rear light options & "wobbly" mirror

see my post approx 5 above to see the 2 versions of light set-ups that I know of.

As for the mirror issue, it is loose no matter what position I set the glass at.

So this means taking off the door interior stuff to get to mirror - will post a few pictures during the process (also of the mirror mounting mechanism).

thanks guys for all the help & suggestions

Steve
Auckland, New Zealand
Old 01-15-2008, 11:00 AM

Cool ALXFORYOU - what about a photo or two

Since in the original thread you mentioned buying a broken SVX mirror, why not show us (me in particular) what the insides are like with a couple of photos

Also if some one has photos of the motorised folding version that also might be useful for someone else?

thanks