Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Competition Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2006, 08:05 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Watkins Glen Track Day

Drove up to Watkins Glen for a HPDE event with Performance Driving Associates on September 18th. About 80 minutes of seat time for the day. Not a bad deal at all. Awesome track. Beautfiul landscape. A lot of elevation change. Many blind apexes. Much different from Pocono. The track is 3.45 miles in the long configuration, including the boot. Here's a map.

Travel is clockwise. Here's my car going through turns 2 and 3, "The Esses." About to get eaten by a G35 coupe. He was pretty fast.

There is so much elevation change here. This shot just after turn 8 gives you some idea.

Many different kinds of cars there. I passed this Elise a couple of times. The driver was not capable of extracting the full performance of the car. Here it is just past turn 9.

The car ran very very well. I was really suprised at the cars I could keep up with. I was never satisfied with how I did turn 7, the "Toe" of the Boot, decreasing radius turn with a steep uphill exit. At the end of the day, we "walked the track" Drove around to selected spots, got out and really looked at it. I then saw why I was having trouble. Need to stay wide almost all the way around, then a quick turn in, put the hammer down and let the wheel run-out quickly to avoid scrubbing off power on the uphill exit.

In addition to driving my car, I rode with some other drivers. This STI had a few mods, and was very fast, but I really didn't like the way it seemed to handle. Even as a passenger, I was aware of the understeer, especially power-on.

The next car I rode in was really awesome. A Noble M12. Fastest car I've ever been in. It just carved. Lateral G's like you wouldn't believe. Look it up on the web. 2400 lbs., 400 hp for this version. It flew.

To warm the hearts of SVX Net, how about an EG33 powered Subie RS. Stock engine except for stand-alone engine management. WRX 5MT, tricked out suspension. 2800 lbs. 200 whp. Faster than the STI. Handled better too. Just a little bit of oversteer after turn-in, to point the car better through the apex. (Maybe he was just a better driver) Then solidly getting power to the pavement without detectable scrub. Very fast (not as fast as the Nobel) with no drama.

Nice engine

Finally, the best car of the weekend. Didn't get to ride in it, but will be looking for it on upcoming track day. A D Jaguar replica, built on shortened and lightened XJS running gear with an E-Type 4.2 liter engine with 3 Solexes.

To Lime Rock October 2, thanks to Young Tom, who diagnosed my cam angle sensor failure this week. Will post pictures.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 09-26-2006, 08:22 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Looks great, that's a nice RS.

How did your overheating thing go??
Old 09-26-2006, 08:24 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
Awesome! I always love seeing shot of the SVX on tracks. The EG33 RS is sweet! 200 AWP on stock set up with stand alone... tempting tempting...
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 09-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Maniac modifier

Dan, were you able to get the car running yet?? Pics look really good.

Kerry, with a full tune by your dyno guy, you coul dhit over 200 wheel horse too

Tom
Old 09-27-2006, 05:54 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

No overheating now when I take the grille out.

Tom:

No the part is in the Fed_ex Subaruparts.com is closed on Mondays. Sensor should be arriving tomorrow.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

Old 09-27-2006, 08:51 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Dan,
Yeah, I noticed the grill was missing from some of the pics
What was the top speed you were able to see on the course?
Did you replace all of the rotors before this event?

Looks like you need to get yourself a racing seat so you can get your head out of the headliner

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 09-27-2006, 09:03 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Bill:

Yep. Forgot to take the grille out the first time around, and it got a little bit hot when I left the track. Drove around the infield for a few minutes and it went away. After I took out the grille, didn't happen again. Yes, front rotors were replaced, but rears remain Bien's d&s. New Axxis Ultimates up front, Metal Masters rear. Car still stops on a dime. The seat situation is less than ideal. When I put the seat back far enough to get my helmet in the car, I feel like I'm in a fastar Craftmatic bed.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:15 AM

How often are we allowed to go up there and race? What are the costs? I always watch races on SPEED over there. It's a 4 hour trip, but I'll do it one day, and that'll be one day soon if i can scrape up money for some better tires.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:02 AM

Great pics! Make sure you take more next time. Would be great to get more info on that impreza. What brand of stand alone system etc.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

The cost of the track day was about $250. But I had 80 minutes of driving seat time plus 60 minutes of riding seat time. That's just about $3.00 per minute of driving time, with free riding time. If a standard AutoX day costs $25 and gives you 4 minutes of driving time, that is $6.25 per minute. But, you have to have a car that is in good enough condition to take 80 minutes of pounding. You would probably get 10-12 track days out of a set of tires, unless they are R compounds, in which case you would get less, plus you might get 10-12 track days out of a set of brake rotors. Plus, fluids should be changed every season at a minimum, and there is standard upkeep like bleeding brakes, etc, and you have to count on stuff breaking, like wheel bearings, etc. For an SVX, also, spring and shock upgrades and brake pad upgrades are a must to really be able to enjoy these tracks.

As for the RS, go to NASIOC, and do a search for XXTune. I think there is a lot of material there.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:25 PM
One teal and One yellow

Nice thread again, Dan.

Did you get beaten by the G35 there?

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 09-27-2006, 02:55 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Dan,
Great recap at Watkins Glen! And super pics too!! Although a heavy car, I think too many people underestimate the SVX as a track car - to me, the SVX is fun to drive at speed. Never been to Watkins Glen, but it sure looks like fun.

Lots of folks decry the SVX brakes, but as you mentioned, they do just fine with the proper pads. No, the SVX isn't the fastest nor does it stop as quickly as some cars, but it is more than adequate (and a lot better than a lot of others!). Keep having fun out there on the track!
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 09-27-2006, 06:56 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Harry:

For whatever reason, my brakes are one of the strongest parts of the car. I routinely climb into the back seat of the car I'm following when we approach a turn. I'm still learning just how much I can delay braking on turns, and so far I've surprised both myself and my instructors by just how strong they are. I think good pads, and properly located SS lines have a lot to do with it.

Couldn't stay up with the G35, but had no trouble with a 2005 Acura RSX-R. Also passed some miscellaneous CRX-Si's.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Dan,
I've run at both Summit and VIR and never had a problem with brades fading - I did wear out a set of front pads at the Shenandoah Circuit at Summit one weekend, but at no time did the brakes give up - I did notice the fluid level in the master cylinder indicator light come on because of low fluid due to the pads worn down to the metal. I have used the stock rotors and Axis Metal Master semi-metalic pads, but I did go to the slotted and drilled rotors the last time I was at Summit (that probably contributed greatly to wearing out the pads so quickly ). And speaking of instructors, one was driving my car on the track at Summit and went into Turn One at a little better than 100 MPH (it's a hairpin and I normally enter at 115 MPH or better and exit below 55 MPH), and his comment was, "My God, this thing has brakes!!" Like your instructors, he was surprised. BTW, one of the main things required (along with a certified tech inspection by a mechanic) when we run a track is the brake fluid must have been changed within the last 6 months (one doesn't want any moisture in there when things begin to heat up ), and I use the "SUPER BLUE" fluid from Germany that boils at 512 degrees - good stuff!!

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 09-28-2006, 05:33 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Harry:

I have noticed the same drop in brake fluid level, from time to time. Right now using Axxis Ultimates front and Metal Master's rear. I'm using Wilwood 570 fluid, which I put in in April, and plan to change it out before next season. Looking forward to running at Summit Point next season. Do you know of any non-marque affiliated or Subie-affiliated groups that sponsor HPDE days there?