How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-15-2006, 07:07 PM

High pitch wining noise

Hello to all!
I am new to the forum and just bought a 92 Teal SVX yesterday with 153K miles on it. When driving the vehicle home I noticed a fairly high pitch wining noise that was there as long as I was under power with the accelerator or after letting of the gas the noise was still there but not as pronounced. The noise would go away when the brakes were applied. I slowed down and coasted in neutral and the sound appeared to go away.
The transmission shifts fine. I looked at the fluid in the front differential and looks pretty worn, so I plan on changing it. I was thinking of using synthetic gear oil, is this a good choice? I was also going to use some BG gear oil additive; does anybody have any comments on BG products?
I am afraid that the noise could be from the front differential but I am not sure what is causing it.
Thanks for a reply, if anybody has an idea what the problem is.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:42 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken92SVX
Hello to all!
I am new to the forum and just bought a 92 Teal SVX yesterday with 153K miles on it. When driving the vehicle home I noticed a fairly high pitch wining noise that was there as long as I was under power with the accelerator or after letting of the gas the noise was still there but not as pronounced. The noise would go away when the brakes were applied. I slowed down and coasted in neutral and the sound appeared to go away.
The transmission shifts fine. I looked at the fluid in the front differential and looks pretty worn, so I plan on changing it. I was thinking of using synthetic gear oil, is this a good choice? I was also going to use some BG gear oil additive; does anybody have any comments on BG products?
I am afraid that the noise could be from the front differential but I am not sure what is causing it.
Thanks for a reply, if anybody has an idea what the problem is.
It would say that you show that you have the ability to investigate further with possiblly some one else doing the driving. A splurge of suggestions meantime could confuse and a high pitched sound does not, hopefully, indicate anything too serious.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-15-2006, 07:45 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Might be input shaft bearing. Saw a post over on the bbs with a similar problem and it was possibly diagnosed as that. Granted, that was a MT....

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=26585

(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 05-15-2006, 09:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to 19svx94
hello, this happened to a friend of mine on his svx so i did some research around on this forum and found that it is most likely the vaccuum lines under the intake manifold, i have taken my manifold off and replaced all the lines because since they are under the intake manifold that is right on top of the motor they are subject to lots of heat causing them to become extremely brittle, if you do this be extremely careful to not brake any of the solenoids that the vacuum lines go to because they are very expensive and very easy to brake. but back to the point, sounds like a vaccuum leak to me.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:09 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Welcome to the site!

Is the frequency of the whine engine RPM or vehicle speed dependant?
Old 05-16-2006, 10:47 AM

High pitch whine noise

Thanks to all how whom replied.
The pitch does not vary when RPM or speeds is changed; it stays the same. The nosie is not very loud, it is not noticable unless radio is off.
Ken
Old 05-16-2006, 11:05 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
What area of the car does it sound like it's coming from?
Old 05-16-2006, 03:02 PM

Hi pitch whining noise

I can"t quite tell which area of the car the noise is coming from for sure, it almost sounds like from the front, maybe under the hood area but can not tell for sure.