Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 03-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipa
Given Texas' history, I guess it is obvious where that tendency to want to blow up things comes from. All those Spanish Forts.... errr.... tree stumps! Honest, that's what I meant

Unfortunately, there are quite a few places in the world that think the same way. I've always found it funny when I meet people who have never traveled further than the next town, yet are convinced that their village/town/city/district/country is the best in the world.

Now click your heels three times and repeat after me:

There's no place like home....
Oh Auntie Em! You were there, and you were there, and you.. yes, you were there too....With a whole bunch of WMD's!!

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 03-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Certified Porschephile

Oh, and Bipa I also have an objection to your comments about what you thought I was implying before. If you are not black, how can you say you understand the pain of racisim. How can I, a man, ever understand the pain and then joy of childbirth? Or the emotions of menopause? How can a single man ever understand the loss of a child if he never had one? If you are 25, can you really feel the way an elderly person does at the dawn of another day of sadness and depression at the world passing them by? You missed the mark here.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:57 PM
Bipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark
Oh, and Bipa I also have an objection to your comments about what you thought I was implying before. If you are not black, how can you say you understand the pain of racisim. How can I, a man, ever understand the pain and then joy of childbirth? Or the emotions of menopause? How can a single man ever understand the loss of a child if he never had one? If you are 25, can you really feel the way an elderly person does at the dawn of another day of sadness and depression at the world passing them by? You missed the mark here.
huh? I really am not sure what you're trying to say here. Are you saying that it is impossible for a person to understand a different situation? For example, if a woman is discriminated against because she's a woman, wouldn't that make it likely that she'd understand very well the feeling of a Black facing racial discrimination?

You said: "Bipa, since you are not an American, trying to explain Texas to you would be a waste of time." And then you just left it and didn't bother to even attempt to clarify. That's what I was objecting to... that somehow because I wasn't a U.S. citizen, it would be a waste of time to explain it to me. You didn't just imply it; you stated it quite openly. You have no idea how long I've spent in the US or what I did there... you made an assumption that I wouldn't understand simply based on my not being "American".

By the way.... according to most Europeans, I am an American, as are all Canadians, and Mexicans, and everyone living in Central and South America, too! Here in Europe, the folk tend to lump us all in together as "Americans" and don't distinguish between the various peoples of the American continents. You wouldn't believe how many times I've had to explain to folk here in Europe that according to the US, I'm not American. For people here, it would be like Germans trying to say only they are European, or the Thai claiming Asian exclusivity. They usually just shake their heads and start mumbling ...
Old 03-22-2006, 02:04 PM
Certified Porschephile

No, you are right, I should have clarified the first comment a little better, but I did cover that in the second. The third was actually a reply to yours. Now I'm probably as confused as you are reading this! I think you figured out what I meant. And being denied a job for being a women, could not compare to a life of being watched whenever you walk into a jewelry store because of what color you are.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:00 PM
Bipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark
No, you are right, I should have clarified the first comment a little better, but I did cover that in the second. The third was actually a reply to yours. Now I'm probably as confused as you are reading this! I think you figured out what I meant. And being denied a job for being a women, could not compare to a life of being watched whenever you walk into a jewelry store because of what color you are.
Gosh, here we are, supposedly both fluent in this language, using written words, and still are having trouble at times communicating. Can you imagine two people from two completely different cultures, with different languages, coming from opposing base assumptions, trying to somehow not only communicate but reach across vast canyons of distrust and anger and somehow figure out a way to live peacefully side by side?

Sure makes a person realise all the complexity involved in trying to negotiate any sort of cease-fire or peaceful resolution. Instead of being perplexed at the continuing troubles in Africa or Middle East or elsewhere, perhaps we should be amazed that in North America the three countries of Mexico, USA and Canada have somehow learned to get along fairly well, all things considered.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Wow. It is like the bunny rabbit of threads. It just keeps multiplying.
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Have a seat Napa. Hang out a while.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 03-23-2006, 05:23 AM
Bipa

Speaking about communication problems....

Bush was asked about Iraq, and instead answered about Afghanistan and Al-Qaeda, implying a link. See for yourself, the misdirection continues

Press Conference of the President
James S. Brady Briefing Room
March 21, 2006

For full details, see http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0060321-4.html
Q I'd like to ask you, Mr. President, your decision to invade Iraq has caused the deaths of thousands of Americans and Iraqis, wounds of Americans and Iraqis for a lifetime. Every reason given, publicly at least, has turned out not to be true. My question is, why did you really want to go to war? From the moment you stepped into the White House, from your Cabinet -- your Cabinet officers, intelligence people, and so forth -- what was your real reason? You have said it wasn't oil -- quest for oil, it hasn't been Israel, or anything else. What was it?

THE PRESIDENT: I think your premise -- in all due respect to your question and to you as a lifelong journalist -- is that -- I didn't want war. To assume I wanted war is just flat wrong, Helen, in all due respect --

Q Everything --

THE PRESIDENT: Hold on for a second, please.

Q -- everything I've heard --

THE PRESIDENT: Excuse me, excuse me. No President wants war. Everything you may have heard is that, but it's just simply not true. My attitude about the defense of this country changed on September the 11th. We -- when we got attacked, I vowed then and there to use every asset at my disposal to protect the American people. Our foreign policy changed on that day, Helen. You know, we used to think we were secure because of oceans and previous diplomacy. But we realized on September the 11th, 2001, that killers could destroy innocent life. And I'm never going to forget it. And I'm never going to forget the vow I made to the American people that we will do everything in our power to protect our people.

Part of that meant to make sure that we didn't allow people to provide safe haven to an enemy. And that's why I went into Iraq -- hold on for a second --

Q They didn't do anything to you, or to our country.

THE PRESIDENT: Look -- excuse me for a second, please. Excuse me for a second. They did. The Taliban provided safe haven for al Qaeda. That's where al Qaeda trained --

Q I'm talking about Iraq --

THE PRESIDENT: Helen, excuse me. That's where -- Afghanistan provided safe haven for al Qaeda. That's where they trained. That's where they plotted. That's where they planned the attacks that killed thousands of innocent Americans.

I also saw a threat in Iraq. I was hoping to solve this problem diplomatically. That's why I went to the Security Council; that's why it was important to pass 1441, which was unanimously passed. And the world said, disarm, disclose, or face serious consequences --

Q -- go to war --

THE PRESIDENT: -- and therefore, we worked with the world, we worked to make sure that Saddam Hussein heard the message of the world. And when he chose to deny inspectors, when he chose not to disclose, then I had the difficult decision to make to remove him. And we did, and the world is safer for it.

(By the way, did anyone here know that democracies don't war? )

Q Mr. President, you've spoken about Iraq as being a beacon for democracy throughout the Middle East. Yet we've had troubles in Iraq and we've seen aggressiveness from Syria and Iran. Are you concerned that the Iraq experience is going to embolden authoritarian regimes in the Middle East and make it tougher to get democracy there?

THE PRESIDENT: There's no question that if we were to prematurely withdraw and the march to democracy were to fail, the al Qaeda would be emboldened; terrorist groups would be emboldened; the Islamo-fascists would be emboldened. No question about that.

There are a lot of reformers in the Middle East who would like to see Iraq succeed. And I think that if we were to lose our nerve and leave prematurely, those reformers would be let down. So failure in Iraq -- which isn't going to happen -- is -- would send all kinds of terrible signals to an enemy that wants to hurt us and people who are desperate to change the conditions in the broader Middle East.

The -- it's an interesting debate, isn't it, about whether or not this country of ours ought to work to spread liberty. It's -- I find it fascinating that -- to listen to the voices from around the world as to whether or not it is a noble purpose to spread liberty around the world. And it is a -- I think it's -- I think it's -- at least, my position is affected by my belief that there is universality when it comes to liberty. This isn't American liberty, this isn't America's possession. Liberty is universal. People desire to be free. And history has proven that democracies don't war. And so part of the issue is to lay peace, is to give people a chance to live in a peaceful world where mothers can raise their children without fear of violence, or women are free to be able to express themselves.

(Oh... and he goes on to talk about how getting rid of the Taliban has brought religious freedom... oh really? Tell that to the guy now on trial in Afghanistan and facing the death penalty for converting from Islam to Christianity )

(continuation of previous question/answer)

Q But how about the difficulty --

THE PRESIDENT: Excuse me a second, David. Excuse me for a second, please.

The -- that we ought to pursue liberty. We ought to not be worried about a foreign policy that encourages others to be free. That's why I said in my second inauguration address, the goal of this country ought to be to end tyranny in the 21st century. I meant it. For the sake of -- I said that for the sake of peace.

Now, what is your follow-up yell? (Laughter.)

Q I was wondering -- have the difficulties of the last three years made the job of those reformers more difficult?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, if the United States were to lose its nerve, it would certainly make the job of reformers more difficult. If people in Iran, for example, who desire to have a Iranian-style democracy, Iranian-style freedom, if they see us lose our nerve, it's likely to undermine their boldness and their desire.

What we're doing is difficult work. And one -- the interesting thing that's happening is, is that imagine an enemy that says we will kill innocent people because we're trying to encourage people to be free. What kind of mind-set is it of people who say, we must stop democracy? Democracy is based upon this kind of universal belief that people should be free. And yet, there are people willing to kill innocent life to stop it. To me, that ought to be a warning signal to people all around the world that the enemy we face is an enemy that ascribes to a vision that is dark and one that doesn't agree with the universal rights of men and women. As a matter of fact, when given a chance to govern or to have their parasitical government represent their views, they suppressed women and children. There was no such thing as religious freedom. There was no such thing as being able to express yourself in the public square. There was no such thing as press conferences like this.

They were totalitarian in their view. And that would be -- I'm referring to the Taliban, of course. And that's how they would like to run government. They rule by intimidation and fear, by death and destruction.

(hmm.... kinda like the current "free" Afghani gov't?)

Q Will there come a day -- and I'm not asking you when, not asking for a timetable -- will there come a day when there will be no more American forces in Iraq?

THE PRESIDENT: That, of course, is an objective, and that will be decided by future Presidents and future governments of Iraq.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:39 AM
<<<Alcyone

Hijack Warning!

Bipa

I see a subtle change to your avatar . . . Is this a self portrait?

Dan

End of Hijack.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:23 AM
Bipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelisevil
Hijack Warning!

Bipa

I see a subtle change to your avatar . . . Is this a self portrait?

Dan

End of Hijack.
LOL!
[continuing the Hijack!]
Yeah, well, don't know if I can call it subtle .... I just couldn't resist. I came back home from my trip and found that the photographer had passed on to me all the raw untouched photos from the calendar photo shoot on a CD. This is one of the pics that was chosen.

I've been feeling pretty down lately.... all the BS going on during my trip, and then coming home and having the dog run away the same day I arrived. Hasn't been fun, getting hopes up with every phone call and reported sighting, only to find out it isn't our dog. Plastering the countyside with posters, and concentrating on those areas where uncaught stray dogs have been sighted. Folks are trying to help, but so far no luck. So I decided I couldn't have Hobbes dancing for joy anymore, or at least not for a while. Couldn't decide what to do for a new avatar when I finally realized I got a whack of photos sitting here that I could use.

So yup... that's an untouched photo of me, just cropped and resized, on an old classic Harley. Hubby likes it

[End of Hijack ]
Old 03-23-2006, 08:06 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Fantasy?

Bipa-Dreaming of course. Or should I say, hallucinating as usual.

Lee

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 03-23-2006, 06:21 PM
Certified Porschephile

I have a self portrait avatar, but Brad Pitt told me to take it down because he was getting to many phone calls. Oh, the crosses we have to bear.....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: