Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-17-2006, 01:59 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
15mpg!?! How the heck do you drive ?

I get about 25-28 mpg in my 92 on eight year old plugs!
Old 02-17-2006, 05:05 PM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
I usually only get about 14-18mpg in city driving. Then again, my auto trans is on its way out.
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*
Old 02-17-2006, 10:29 PM
One teal and One yellow

If I can get more than 14 or 15mpg, I will be happy.

I would think that one of the big reasons is the location. I'm living in a place called home of Mountaineers. Too many hills. I usually get 12 to 13mpg with 93 on my both SVXi. I think they're normal and in good condition. If I drive with more force or AWD working alot on snow, I have gotten something as low as 11mpg. After my yellow swapped with 4.44, the first tank is 11.23mpg(pure city) and the second tank is 13.74mpg(happier). If I drive them on the Interstates and be easy on the pedal, I would get around 25mpg or more. So that's not the cars on my case, it's the location I live at.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 02-17-2006, 11:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via MSN to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to DreamingOfSpeed
You guys only get 15 MPG? I got 22 when my tranny was slipping and i had 3 tires that made going almost flat a hobby (Dirty seals caused them to drop from 32 to 18 in 3 days) I have figured it out since i had the tranny replaced and the tires fixed (she needs gas tomorrow i'll recalculate it then) I drive all city. I drive about 260 miles before i refill her and might be able to go further but why push it when you know you're gas Gage isnt very reliable.

suvsarestupid, i think your comments are unjustified. Every school has ist rich kids who are spoiled. I went to a public school that had some kids in BMW's and lexis's and others drove beaters. No matter where the the kid goes there will be someone who's spoiled. If the school is good and he got a good scholarship he should take it. I got a similar deal in HS and my mother refused to let me take it as my brother was already in the HS i would attend if i didnt take it I've always regretted it and wondered if i would be in a better college or more prepared if i had taken it.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:28 PM
sti'lin

thanks for the reply. I didn't want to rip on him for telling men where to send my son to school. This board has been really good, and i didn't want to start anything. But thanks.

Jeff
Old 02-17-2006, 11:34 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
So anyhow, is your son intrested in the svx? Thinking about getting one?
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 02-17-2006, 11:59 PM
suvsareretarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingOfSpeed
suvsarestupid, i think your comments are unjustified.
That's your opinion. I've had a close relative attend private school with a bunch of bratty kids whos parents spoil them with super expensive cars, and it ruined him. Now he's so materialistic and consumeristic all he can talk about is stuff he owns. He's like a robot now. Also, he now does drugs and his grades are suffering, because he's spending time with his new 'rich' friends.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:40 AM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Yes I have on several occasions. When you have done it once, you can do it in half the time the next go around

Tom
Now just how many times do you want us to replace the rear struts Tom? It ain't exactly way up there on our hobby lists.

Let me check that list again. Don't wanna give bad info.....

OK, checked again, and yeah.... It's right below the entry of hanging out in Gay bath house bathrooms with my head next to a little round hole.
I would say that down pretty close to the bottom of the hobby list. Me reckons once is enough.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)

Last edited by Electrophil; 02-18-2006 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:42 AM
sti'lin

I'm sorry for your bad experience. My son busted his ass to maintain an A average through school, is two merit badges away from his eagle scout, plays football, runs track and is very respectful and considerate to everyone. He thinks Jimi Hendrix and The Doors are the greatest. Just an all around great kid. And if I can work a little harder to give him a little more and a leg up I will. Enough said on that. Yes I showed my son an SVX picture from this site and another one on ebay. His first impression was of course "what's up with those windows" But he thought it looked pretty cool. He likes my Subaru's. We watch the WRC on speed channel together, and he has been to a few of my autocrosses last year. Thanks again.

Jeff
Old 02-18-2006, 02:18 AM
Which manual is "that" in??

Where is all this talk of 22, 26,28 and up MPG coming from? I've owned 2 of these things, in the flat desert, and drive like some middle aged floozy....Because I AM a middle aged floozy. I average/averaged about 15mpg on both of them with 80% city driving. Synthetic oils religiously changed, and overall fair to good condition for the Engine/drive train. The 92 shifts like slicing butter, it's hardly noticeable.

Are you guys running those revolutionary mothballs in your tanks, or are you reporting the gas mileage as it's being towed by a flat bed wrecker? Is it the fuel quality itself? I'd like to hear a state by state comparison with this data. We are talking anywhere from a 40 to 60% difference here.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 02-18-2006, 04:12 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
average anywhere from 18-22 mpg with the Jdm 6 speed

Tom
Old 02-18-2006, 07:48 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti'lin
He likes my Subaru's. We watch the WRC on speed channel together, and he has been to a few of my autocrosses last year. Thanks again.

Jeff

ahhhh this is where the obsession begins!! ....good job!!

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 02-18-2006, 08:18 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
I drive 200 miles a day and average 25-27 MPG. That is highway driving with the cruise control.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:39 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by suvsareretarded
My suggestion. Used subaru wagon.. legacy or outback. Why?

Dependable.

Parts aren't $$$$ like SVXs.

Easy to repair, and cheap.

Durable enough to slide off the road without major damage.

Lots of room for hauling friends places, and whatever gear they need for activities

And..um... well. It's a wagon. So frankly I'm sure your son would appreciate the 'cargo space'.

Edit: Also, SVXs suck premium. That's something to consider. While nice to drive and very safe, SVXs start to cost a LOT of money when they're abused. Even general upkeep isn't cheap, since parts are 3x more than any other subaru.

PS: To whoever chimed in that their insurance company classifies the SVX as a sports car, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND SHOP AROUND. You are wasting a LOT of money. I checked into it... mine is considered a 'coupe', because my company doesn't consider a car with 4 seats, and automatic transmission a sports car. It's not cheap to insure, but I'm not wasting tons of money insuring it either.

Whatever you do, just don't get him a dodge neon - those are complete junk.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:00 AM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
If you're talking about 1st Gen Neons, they're also cheap, and with the DOHC engine and a 5-speed, easily the equal of its 'sport compact' contemporaries. There is also a huge aftermarket of both rice and actual speedy bits at reasonable prices.

They're also no more or less junk than anything else in their day at that price point, such as Crapaliers, StunFires, Saturns, etc. In fact, while the Neon/SX2.0 has improved in build quality, the junk from GM has not. No small wonder that even after they replaced the low end cars with rebadged Suzukis and Daewoos, the quality has improved. At least the Cobalt and Pursuit are better than the Cavalier and SunFire, but they cost a lot more, too.
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*