SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Re: What is happening with SVXWN?

I think an NSX for the price of an SVX would be fun..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 04-04-2010, 11:37 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

NSX and SVX are both unique in their own way. They are both coupes, but one is a race car, the other is a luxury GT.

I love the NSX and will surely own one if I have a reasonable chance, but between it and the SVX, I still choose the SVX for two reasons only:

1- The SVX is a 2+2 meaning it has more room and is more practical on the inside.

2- Clearance. The NSX is very low to the ground, in the part of the world and the nature of the country roads, I will not feel at ease driving it. I will always be scared of hitting it on a hump or slope or...

But to own one... oh yeah definitely!

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:52 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Clearance. The NSX is very low to the ground, in the part of the world and the nature of the country roads, I will not feel at ease driving it. I will always be scared of hitting it on a hump or slope or...
Not to be pickin', but the numbers I find for both cars, ironically, say 5.3" of ground clearance each.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:33 PM

Registered SVX

A point which has previously mentioned, still requires attention. New members are joining the alternative forum ahead of this one, because it comes up foremost when Google is searched.

I do not have the answers, but do know that there are ways to ensure best possible exposure within search engines. There must be someone here, who knows the score and can help the admin to cover this problem.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Appreciation is not in the SVXWN member vocab...

I have introduced and run the raffle at reading for 3 years... Put a couple thousand dollar worth of parts and even an entire car into the raffle as a fundraiser for the network... Granted it was also a networking and advertising probe for my shop as well... Guess what, I got maybe a handful of thank you's and zero response in regards to increase in revenue for the shop...

Always been hopeful but now realize until there is a major shift in ownership, nothing is going the change... People will continue to complain about what they didn't get rather than grateful for what they did

Tom
Tom, I appreciate you, so feel appreciated, damn it!

I wasn't able to take advantage of Reading drawings, or use your shop services other than the time you did the road trip version. But I'll never be able to thank you enough for the full 2 days' work you did 3,000 miles from your shop on my car. Saved me a TON of money and realistically saved the car, period. Wished your shop was closer or you did a road trip once a year so I could use your services more and compensate you better. Would have eventually bought a lot more online from you besides the awesome hood struts if you had stayed in business longer.

Tom is just one example of the great people here on the SVXWN that have helped me over the years. I love this car and am in way too deep emotionally to give up on it now in spite of the problems, but would have no choice if not for all the knowledge found on this site.

I can only hope in my own way I have provided some of that back as well. At the very least, I've worked my ass off for the last 10 years organizing events in the Pacific Northwest and keeping the following alive in the region.

Who knows how long I'll be able to keep my 220,000 mile daily driver SVX running, or how much time in the future I'll have to spend on forums when I have a family and life, but while I'm here, I still care, even if I don't pop up in every thread.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 04-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX View Post
Or it could be the older crowd, stagnating...

Seriously, there is often a somewhat "elitist" attitude among a lot of the "older" members here.

Too much of an "us vs. them" mentality or constant bringing up of age probably isn't a healthy thing in the long run.

We've acknowledged that we are at the point where we have a lot of the old guys that have been around a while and owned their SVX for years or maybe even since new. Or maybe just recently got one, but their age makes them appreciate it for what it is.

And then we have a lot of younger members that have maybe gotten in over their heads with the SVX, or are trying to make it into something it wasn't designed to be.

Oh yeah, and for some reason we have a really small handful of my group that is right in that sweet spot a few years north or south of 40 - I guess most of my peers are driving sedans or SUVs at this "family" age, or at least more current sports cars.

At any rate, we should try to focus more on getting along, unless we want to cut our membership up into smaller pieces and write each other off.

We could have an "old codgers" site where they all sit around and tell funny pun-filled stories for the next ten years till they lose their driver's licenses (or worse).

And we could have a "fast & furious" youngsters site where they all mod the heck out of their cars and go street race them into oblivion.

And myself, Matt, and a few others can have the "middle of the road" site where we share valuable information on keeping our cars running for the next 15 years or so and lay in wait to inherit Earl's collection.

*And I'm kidding with these last three sections of course. I know sarcasm doesn't translate well on the web.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
Not to be pickin', but the numbers I find for both cars, ironically, say 5.3" of ground clearance each.
Wow didn't know that. Without looking at figures, I am definitey sure that both the 1990 E230 (w124) Merc is of same clearance as the SVX. Even with my low skirts, I was rarely hitting bumps.

Thought the NSX was much lower... or maybe all those I saw were lowered

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensteele View Post
If you read what is in your avatar, you may understand part of your problem. I have heard of very few head gasket problems over the years that I have been on this site as well as the old yahoo site. There will probably be more as time goes on because of the age of the engine, but that is part of age. You had better tell all of the airplane owners who have utilized this engine. I am sorry you had bad luck, but maintenance is part of car ownership and if you can't afford what you drive, it is time to move on to a cheap car that you can afford. Good luck.
Well said Earl, partially.

I can speak to the headgasket failure (granted high miles, but most "average" members here have high miles and ALL SVXes, even low miles, are getting old). And I believe Tom has seen quite a few and even mentioned them in his big rant post a few months ago.

That post Tom did really does ring true. These cars quickly are aging past the "reliable import" stage and moving into the "classic weekend garage queen" stage. That might be a good thing overall for the flow of our membership as we'll be left with real die-hard enthusiasts, but I have a feeling a lot of SVXes will be lost in the process.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
A point which has previously mentioned, still requires attention. New members are joining the alternative forum ahead of this one, because it comes up foremost when Google is searched.

I do not have the answers, but do know that there are ways to ensure best possible exposure within search engines. There must be someone here, who knows the score and can help the admin to cover this problem.

Really?

There must be some trick to reversing this as I'm sure the other site isn't doing anything like paying for it, it is just by luck. Maybe something in the naming convention, activity, not sure? The internet is a crazy thing.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
Really?

There must be some trick to reversing this as I'm sure the other site isn't doing anything like paying for it, it is just by luck. Maybe something in the naming convention, activity, not sure? The internet is a crazy thing.
I don"t think it makes any difference, as I see the same people turn up on both sites.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
I don"t think it makes any difference, as I see the same people turn up on both sites.

Harvey.
Realistically, yeah. Probably not that big an issue.

When most people Google something they don't just stop at the first link they come to.

And even if they did, if they spent any serious amount of time at the other forum, they would eventually see references to this one and probably check it out as well.