SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Tire safety Information Video

This may have been posted before and could well save your life.

You should replace the tires every 7 years. Recommended to replace at 5 years from manufacture date.

But be sure to check the dates on the actual replacement tires themselves. Just because you buy them new doesn't mean that they are.

See this ABC News Special Report tire safety video. It is most important.

Tire Safety Video

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 04-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: Tire safety Information Video

Eh... I'm not convinced, I've got a few problems with that video.

1. That van that crashed was an Astro. I know I'm generalizing here, but the owner of nearly every AstroVan I've ever worked on comes in and asks: "What is the rock bottom, cheapest tire you have?" This is, in my mind, the biggest problem. People seem to forget that those four patches of rubber are all that keep your 3000+ pound steel box from becoming an out of control missile. They buy the cheap stuff and expect it to work just as well as something that costs 2-3 or more times as much. I would have absolutely no problem putting an 8 year old set of Michelin Hydroedge tires on my car. Hell, my 240 has 10 year old Michelin Arctic Alpins. I would not go near the "WalMart Brand" tires if they were brand new.

There is a basic quality issue. If anything, go after these sub-par manufacturers and hammer them out of existence. With the recent influx of Chinese rubber (Ling-Long, etc), I wouldn't expect the trend of tire failure to stop any time soon. Simply put, a top-tier tire will still be fine more than half a decade on. The bottom rung crap is junk the day it leaves the factory.

2. Why the hell was a blown out re-tread shown and referred to as the proof you see every day on the side of the road? That's a whole different can of worms and has nothing to do with passenger car tires.

3. DOT on the inside of the tire? What? That's just retardation. The majority of tires are non-directional and don't have an "inside". Unless there's a reason not to (white lettering on truck tires, directional tires...) I always mount the DOT side outward, precisely so I can easily read that code. In the case of directional tires, you'd end up with the full DOT showing on two tires and not on the other two.

4. It's stunning how many people think tires are a "No-Maintenance" item. They have them installed and unless it looks dead flat one morning, never touch them. I had a lengthy discussion with a customer this week. He killed a set of (yes, very cheap, crap) tires in about 10,000 miles. We refused to warranty them because there was an obvious lack of owner maintenance. He had never checked the air pressure (all were 15-20 PSI), never rotated them, and had front end parts falling out. He argued that it was the fault of the tires that they had worn out so quickly. When asked if he ever checked his tires he said that he didn't have time. Didn't have the 2 minutes it takes to grab an air gauge and see how much air he has in his tires. Didn't want to take the 20 seconds it takes to walk around the car and see that there were steel belts sticking out of his tires. He could easily have tripled the life of his tires by taking a minute or so a week to check them.

IMHO this story is simply the media trying to sensationalize something to boost their ratings. People learning to buy the proper things for their vehicles and having an appreciation for simple maintenance.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl