Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-19-2010, 11:45 AM

Removing window coating

I tried to search, didn't get any hits. It seems the consensus is that the titanium dioxide is a coating on the inside of the windshield. Has anyone tried, or have a guess, if it could be ground/polished off? I'd like to make a little radar "window" on the window. Any thoughts? My glass is good, not interested in replacing it with a non coated one. If there aren't too many you're an idiot there's no point replies, I'll try it and give a result update.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Re: Removing window coating

I always thought it was just built into the windshield.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 03-19-2010, 12:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

I believe it's part of the lamination between two layers of glass.
2001 Audi S8
Old 03-19-2010, 01:34 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Don't a lot of radar detectors work even with the coating?
Old 03-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

I was pretty sure they still work regardless.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 03-19-2010, 01:59 PM

Mine doesn't, at least well enough to trust. I'm looking at another, but I want to test if this could be a simple fix. Everyone seems to refer to it as a "coating" on the net. I figure a bit of polish is worth finding out. It would likely be either above the vin or behind the mirror, both of which I don't need to see out if it goes poorly. Which, I figure there is at least a 50% chance of.

edit to add: curious to the effects on gps as well.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

GPS effects are 0%. be that it's from a standard housed unit or a cell phone. You can "scrub" or "polish" all you want but again, I'm pretty sure it's "inside" the windshield.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:07 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

It does have an effect on the GPS when it comes to first acquiring a signal and driving between larger buildings. The older units have a lot more issues, and the one I tested years ago with a decibel readout on signal strength showed a noticeable loss. It's usually not something I notice,but some parts of manhattan will give me a weak signal warning when it's sitting on the dash.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 03-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Im not sure the TiO2 would have any effect on radar signals... which are usually 10-35Ghz...... much longer wavelength than UV. Visible light passes thru the windshield just fine obviously, and radar signals are much further down the spectrum.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:48 PM

I'm getting ahead of myself, but, I've always been one to see physical effects myself when possible. I know a couple of cops through work, so if I go through with this, I will try to get some radar data on the range effects, or if my detector is just a pos. Also gps startup times. It will be completely unscientific or repeatable for others, but why not? I'm an information junkie.

This really stems from my desire to use a valentine 1. My buddy has one I might be able to test with. I can put the unit in the grill and use the remote display, but then I lose backwards/360 detection. I'm unwilling to spend the big bucks to get a detachable front and back sensor model. So I'm back to around the rear view mirror. My current detector (a bell ?, came with the car) worked a little at first, but now make so little noise ever, I stopped paying attention. I just see if it does anything when I go by the radar stands. I try to use my cruise control, except when passing. I would like to know not to pass when it is safe, but patrolled.

Anyway, good discussion so far, thank you all. Keep it going.

edit: it does work when I hold it out the window or sunroof, but that draws a little attention and my arm gets tired.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:19 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulrio74 View Post
it does work when I hold it out the window or sunroof, but that draws a little attention and my arm gets tired.
You could make a fake dog's head to stick out the window or sunroof with the detector hidden inside...