SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Mechanically worthless Man : )

Registered SVX
Paint Color opinions

Hi all,

Recently I hit a deer with my ebony, and the insurance company is going to cut me a check for 1300 bucks. The damage is minimal and can easily be fixed bymyself. I have a friend that has a paint garage and will paint my car with my help for the price of the beer that we drink I was thinking about going with a gun metal color with gold flake and leaving the top black. What do you guys think of this arrangement. I will try and find the exact color and post it up. Any other suggestions welcome

Nicknamed the SexVX : )
Old 02-19-2010, 02:15 PM

Re: Paint Color opinions

not sure about the gold flake... but dark metallic gray under a black roof (which on ebony, I believe is a metallic black body-color black, not the gloss-non-metallic two-tone black of the Pearlies and Clarets, and Silvers) and trunk top sounds kinda cool. Kinda stealthy, without the kitsch of some of the flat paints.

with moderate tint, and the right wheels... could look very cool.

-------

Of course, if I were painting an SVX to my taste... Even starting from an ebony... (and I would be tempted to start with an ebony... and not paint the under-hood, or the door jams, as long as the boundary lines were masked and finished very well, well under/inside the shut lines for the hood, doors and trunk.

I'd go blue, because I love blue. I would paint the lower main body in a nice rich medium blue, like World Rally Blue, or Laguna Blue, or something deep but vibrant.

Then the roof, trunk top, and spoiler, I would instead of non-metallic black... I would rather go with a high gloss, non-metallic midnight blue, that looks nearly black, but reflects blue in direct light. then maybe a window tint either straight charcoal (since the stock glass is blue tinted on all but the Clarets...), or ever so slightly blue window tint, in the 15-20% VLT range.... not fully dark 5%. Where I live, it would have to be just the windows aft of the side doors, but if I lived elsewhere, where it were legal, I would tint all but the windshield. Maybe leaving the side door glass at a little lighter 30-35% VLT. But with a dark roof two-tone, tinted glass just completes the looks so well.

I'd also be tempted to put a simple black vinyl stripe line into the body line molded into the doors, sides, and front and rear bumpers, with silver or red powder-coated brake calipers, and other silver detailing, and JDM non-amber side markers, Clear headlight lenses, HID/HIR headlights, and smoked LED-retrofit tail lights. Probably some bright silver, or smoke-chrome 17-18 inch wheels with black lugs.

I've thought about trying to find some way to put a little indented extraction vent port (fake, or ducted for a real underhood heat outlet...) in the side of the front fenders, just in front of the side view mirror bases, with the bottom edge on the character line, and the forward diagonal edge extending the A-pillar angle down from the windshield/door seam, right to the character line intersect point, then "blacking out" the inner surface, and using black JDM auto-folding side mirrors, or painting them with the dark midnight blue roof color. Basically moving the side mirrors and A-pillar section to the roof part of the two-tone, rather than staying on the body part of the two-tone.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 02-19-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Like this:

2001 Audi S8
Old 02-19-2010, 07:13 PM

That's pretty hot, right there.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Yeah pretty hott. I'd hit that. Lol

Gunmetal does sound awesome and the gold flake might be what you like right now but it also might just be a fad. You'll look on it a year or so from now and ask yourself: "wtf was I thinking?" trust me..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 02-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Mechanically worthless Man : )

Registered SVX

Def lovin the pic. I would hit that also : )

Well its in the preliminary stages at the moment, so gold flake isnt a solid yet. The guy Im working with is a pretty good paint guy unlike myself, but the gunmetal is almost a guarantee. I like the idea of the dual blue, with the roof and the body, maybe I could cooridinate the gunmetal with a nice roof color. The tints will happen, mostly because its affordable, unfortunatley the rims I would like are going to be outta my budget. I was thinking about powdercoating chrome on the stock for now. I was also going to find a hood scoop that would fit the style of the car and make that functional. Thatll be the easy part tho. Anyone have any luck with either the powdercoating or the addition of the scoop?

Nicknamed the SexVX : )