How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-06-2010, 12:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to svxman07
in need of a company who has a universal lambo door hinge kit for a svx

anyone whos done lambo doors wanna tell me where they got their hinges from? i bought a set of hinges from the hoffman group and they were supposedly a universal kit but they weighed more than the door n stuck out a foot past the fenderwell and i never got my money back from them, anyone wanna help get me a set of hinges proven to work would be great thanks
Old 02-06-2010, 12:46 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Re: in need of a company who has a universal lambo door hinge kit for a svx

svxman, not recommended frankly... A FEW members attempted it but it is up to you.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:03 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

I personally think they are awesome and fit the svx really well there are a few members who did them successfully but unfortunately for us, they are long gone off the network at least last time I checked.

Best kit I've found that I plan to use is the gt factory kit. But wiith any kit you will need to modify the vehicle and probably roll your fender back a bit. From what I've heard its very difficult but done right looks awesome.

I plan to do this in a few years after I've done everything else I want to to the svx. But I hope if you do venture along this path that you take lots of pictures and document your work! Good luck and I hope to see another lambo doored svx very soon!

Don't let anyone here discourage you from doing any mods to your car, there are quite a few traditionalists I wanna call them who want to preserve the svx just the way it came from the factory. And they will try and call you a ricer or whatever but don't let them get to ya! Do what you want!

Danny himself has felt quite the heat over his body kit. So he's not one of those people I'm just prepairing you for the barage of negative comments that are bound to flood this thread soon.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:04 AM

If they are universal, it just means they weren't made to fit anything and will likely require hacking up the car.

SVX doors are really, really heavy, a 4th generation Mustang has considerably lighter doors and I have yet to see a good kit for one of those, universal or otherwise. I have removed 3 sets of really expensive hinges and put the stock ones back on because they just don't hold up. They also usually bend the hell out of the door and the pillar, since neither were meant to take forces like that, it is a challenge to get the door to line up again with the stock hinges. I ended up resorting to a very barbaric alignment method on the last one I had to do, a floor jack if it was to low and me and my boss jumping on the door if it was too high.

The ONLY cars I have seen that have decent working "lambo" doors are Honda Civic 4 doors because they have very light doors.

Just for the record, I am far from a "traditionalist", my SVX does have some custom body work. I just hate the "lambo" door kits, they are the quickest way to ruin a car, they are especially dumb because they don't work like the doors on a real Lamborghini, a real one doesn't open out and then up, they pretty much just go up.

Last edited by Elliott; 02-06-2010 at 02:14 AM.