How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-23-2010, 11:48 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Angry Bill Smith Auto Parts - Illinois

Shame to see perfectly repairable SVXi being parted out like this.

Check these cars HERE and HERE and HERE and HERE

This is too much

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.

Last edited by SilverSpear; 01-24-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:01 AM

Re: Bill Smith Auto Parts - Illinois

They are repairable, but really not worth it for the average person, $1000 damage on a $1500 car and you end up with a salvaged title in the end so the car is worth even less. It can also be harder to register a "salvaged" car in certain states too. The green one doesn't look too bad, but quarter repair is no fun at all on an SVX, trust me. I saved a pretty rough one, but I work in a custom and collision body shop and got a parts car really cheap, what has been done to my car body wise would probably cost a customer about $3000 when all is said and done. I'm trying to have less than $3000 in the car, including the cost of the car, parts car, materials, wheels, tires, exhaust and mechanical repairs, which is more than I could have bought a decent one for, but mine is custom and done to suit me.

I think the supply of cars out paces the demand for them right now, so a few totaled but savable cars really are better off being used as parts to keep the good ones going.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:24 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

You are talking about the ones with damaged quarter panel, I am talking about the ones with damaged hoods. Well the colors are mostly common, and if you can locate hoods with the same color, the rest would be very easy to fix.

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:33 AM

The parts to fix them don't grow on trees, they have to come from other cars, maybe one that ended up junked because of a little mechanical problem, it is the circle of life for cars. Most people are afraid of body damage, they would rather swap an engine or transmission than straighten a radiator core support and make the fenders, hood and bumper cover line up properly again, I just happen to be good at collision work as well as mechanical work.

Also, who says those cars are mechanically sound?
Old 01-24-2010, 12:37 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

You are right Elliot, I can understand the one with the quarter panel damage...

But what about the black 96 with 80K miles? Well I am assuming all those cars hit from the front are mechanically sound...

Last edited by SilverSpear; 01-24-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:11 AM

It is a shame to see these cars getting parted like that, but on the other hand it does give some less damaged vehicles a second chance at life which is always a good thing. Sometimes sacrifices must be made unfortunately...