Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
MCO Snow-Cross 2008 Summary - 56K death warning

Alright, because Hocrest needs me to make a thread to gather all my random posts about my winter racing series, here it is:

Snow-X was a series of 6 events, run much the same as Auto-X, make your run as fast as you can, times are totalled, etc. In this case though we're driving on snow and ice, not a parking lot, and going off course doesn't just mean you eat a cone or two, it means you just hammered a snowbank which may or may not release your car. One difference is that ANY car can run in these events. Street legal, or even really safe, is not required. We've had cars lose throttle cables, blow gas lines, lose brakes, tear exhausts out...

This series is hosted by the Motorsports Club of Ottawa, and run at Capitol City Speedway west of the city.

Some thing to note in the results is that any time in blue is a DNF, which earns you your slowest time +15 seconds. Times in red are cones hit. Every cone is 4 seconds.

I'm car #46.

Event 1:

This one was an afternoon/night event. Over 50 cars showed up to run, although many only ran the first course configuration and then called it quits. There were some awesome contestants out, including several STi's, and a few non-street-legal pieces of crap on all season tires.

Results

Event 2:

A day event this time, with a much smaller croud. The winner of the event was Pascal, driving a 92 Plymouth Laser. A stupidly good driver, I never got a chance to ride with him but would have loved to.

Results

Event 3:

Another day event with a small croud. Pascal won again, I DNF's one run for murdering a cone in the stop box. That killed me for the day, adding around 30 seconds to my total.

Results

Event 4:

Another DNF on one run for me, for going the wrong way around a cone (it takes time to get on line when going 50 MPH on snow) That knocked me from 4th to 8th on the day.

Results

Event 5:

I missed this one. The day before was the advanced winter driving school, which chewed the track up really well (down through the ice to gravel/tarmac in spots) and I beat my car up pretty good that day, so I didn't feel in the mood for more.

Event 6:

A bit of a bummer. I arrived first, and we'd gotten a goot 6-10" of snow the night before, so I got to blast around the track to open it up. Somewhere on the back straight I blew apart one of the flex pipes that I have behind my pre-cats. The sound was unbelievable. I have never in my life been in a car so loud. It's not that bad from outside, but with the break being right under the floor the sound resonated into the car so loudly it felt like someone was pounding on my helmet. I gave up after two runs and parked it.

Results

Overall standings:

Consistency wins here, not outright speed. DNF's are too easy to get and cost a lot, so clean runs at slower speeds will often get one person to the top. We were scored on our best 5 runs out of the 6, so the day I wasn't out was dropped.

I placed 11th overall, 6th in AWD, and 1st amoung the Subaru guys! The fact that I was the only Subaru out consistently might have something to do with that, but oh well...Not too bad for a rookie I think.

Overall Standings

And now, what you've all been waiting for. Pictures!!

YEEEAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 03-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Way to go!!
Old 03-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
..I thought I told you guys to post theese kindsa threads n the chris's svx shop forum untill the mods got tired of it and renamed it

That looks like an absolute blast! makes me wish I lived in a more wintery place
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 03-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric View Post
..I thought I told you guys to post theese kindsa threads n the chris's svx shop forum untill the mods got tired of it and renamed it
Woops!!

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 03-10-2008, 06:36 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
I was expecting larger snowbanks, but judging by the pictures it doesn't seem as dangerous as i imagined. It kinda sounded like your car would totally get dinged/dented from losing control... Those telephone poles would definitely freak me out though

Are these events planned way in advanced or based on snowstorms?
2012 Camry V6 SE