How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-07-2008, 08:21 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Someone on here has the full factory service manual available on here in a PDF format.....maybe in the "How-To" lockers
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 02-07-2008, 09:13 AM

I think I will try and rig up a CEL tonight. That seems like my best bet. Otherwise I could just end up replacing perfectly good sensors trying to find a problem.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 914helo View Post
OK, so I tried again to verify spark by holding the spark plug (still attached to coil) against the engine case and didn't get one single spark. I went over the electrical diagrams regarding the igniter and it should be alright. I also checked the MAF and TPS with good results. I swapped out a spare igniter but that made no difference. Could it be a crank/cam/knock sensor? Would they prohibit spark? The lousy Chilton manual I have doesn't provide a way to test a lot of the sensors without an oscilliscope!
I do not have a check engine light, but I also thought about trying to make the connections for one. Thanks again.

yes, lack of a cam or crank signal can cause a no spark condition defeinatly try to rig up the CEL
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 02-07-2008, 08:46 PM

Now I'm really confused...

So I left work early today and when I got home I decided to check to see if maybe my timing belt was off. Sure enough it was off one notch. So off came the crank pulley and timing belt covers and I replaced the timing belt noting exactly where all the marks were. After replacing the belt and center cover I put the crank pulley back on and cranked the engine by hand to make sure the belt was stilled lined up. After 1 complete cycle the timing belt was off one notch again. Then I went through the whole cycle again. The third time I put the belt one notch off then when I checked it after 1 full rotation it was on properly. However I tried a second rotation and it was off one notch again. I'm not sure what's going on. I've never seen something like this before. I'm assuming that when you line everything up that it should stay that way. I've got a new belt and idlers and my tensioner seems to be working as it should.
Oh well, rant over. Now back to the garage round 4.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by 914helo View Post
So I left work early today and when I got home I decided to check to see if maybe my timing belt was off. Sure enough it was off one notch. So off came the crank pulley and timing belt covers and I replaced the timing belt noting exactly where all the marks were. After replacing the belt and center cover I put the crank pulley back on and cranked the engine by hand to make sure the belt was stilled lined up. After 1 complete cycle the timing belt was off one notch again. Then I went through the whole cycle again. The third time I put the belt one notch off then when I checked it after 1 full rotation it was on properly. However I tried a second rotation and it was off one notch again. I'm not sure what's going on. I've never seen something like this before. I'm assuming that when you line everything up that it should stay that way. I've got a new belt and idlers and my tensioner seems to be working as it should.
Oh well, rant over. Now back to the garage round 4.
I'm almost sure you're not, but just want to make sure you're not expecting the lines on the belt to line up with the lines on the crank/cam wheels after you rotate it???

If not, then I'm not sure what would cause that??? With the crank lined up, which cam is off?
Old 02-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Ridgecrest? My cousins grandmother lives there Know any Werebacks?
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:53 PM

OK, so now I feel stupid. I was thinking that the timing belt was going to stay aligned with the marks. What's the point of having the marks on the belt if after every rotation they've moved a notch?
Werebacks? Is it a full moon?
Old 02-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
The lines are there for initial line up. If you rotate it enough times, it will line up again.

Ignore the lines on the belt, if you have the crank notch at 12 o'clock, the notches on the cams should line up with the marks on the rear covers.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Not that I know of
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:38 AM

I wired up a check engine light last night by taking the wire that comes out of the ecu and connecting it to an existing warning light in my car. It lights up but I'll need to make sure the connector used to trigger the CEL is getting power. I did find a crack in my coolant temp sensor so I will order a new one. I hope they are not too expensive.
I also think I have too much fuel. After about 3 cranking attempts I have fuel coming out of the exhaust manifold. That seems excessive to me. Isn't it strange that fuel goes through the pressure regulator after passing all 6 injectors? I don't think my fuel pump is pushing too much fuel either. I'm still using my stock 914 pump which ran my old engine at 30 psi (unlike the 3.3L which is 36). Maybe I'll hook up a fuel pressure gauge right before the gas comes into the engine today and see what kind of pressure I'm getting.