Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-02-2002, 09:25 PM

And another thing: Repairs/adjustments/tampering of only the COVERED components have to be made by an ASE certified shop. All work on anything else that's not covered in the warranty can be done by anyone.
Old 08-02-2002, 09:34 PM
Kamaleon

Exclamation uuhmm....

I will call again on monday to verify all this info since i wasnt told about the 'negociated labor rate' and i specifically asked if they will cover all repairs for the covered parts (lubricated parts of engine and transmission).

If you plan is exact as the one i will get it means that i would have to find a shop that charges $50 per hour in order for them fully cover it? This seems a bit of a scam because the actual rate of most shops is higher than $50.
Old 08-03-2002, 01:05 AM

You're correct. Most shops charge about $70 per hour. But even after you add up all of the hours it takes to repair a tranny and multiply that by $20, you're still going to be ahead. Here's my earlier post on this subject for a more thorough explaination:

The warranty that can be found in my briefcase is the warranty that was sent to me from the agent. It apparenty is slightly older than the one I'm going to be using with Gateway. There have been some additions made to the warranty that actually might make the older one more economical even with the agent's $335 "surcharge". The new one from Gateway says that they will pay up to $50/hour for labor. The old warranty from the agent does NOT have that stipulation. DRW Transmission says it's going to take atleast 12-15 hours to rebuild the tranny and they charge $70/hour. So that's atleast $240 that I'll have to pay out of pocket for labor, for each tranny rebuild. So after one rebuild I'll still save $95 ($335-$240) by going with the new warranty. But if I need another rebuild in the future then I will have to start paying MORE for the warranty then if I had bought it from the agent. In fact the 2nd rebuild will cost me $145 extra over the older one. A 2nd rebuild is quite possible considering that the warranty is good for 100K miles or 5 years. And these calculations don't even consider any labor charges for an engine rebuild.
Old 08-03-2002, 02:31 AM
Kamaleon

Question are those figures enough to cover the expenses?

ok, so the warranty that i will get also doesnt state the fix labor rate rate which is good

Lets say that it takes 15 hours to rebuild at $70 rate thats $1050, how much are parts to fix it?

could a level ten rebuild be done for $2000?