How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-23-2006, 01:55 PM
So what's this, a vintage car?

So what would happen if...

Okay, so a friend and I were watching the remake of The Italian Job the other night and enjoyed watching them drive the crap out of those adorable little Minis. At one point, Marky Mark (yes, I know he's grown up and is a Whalberg now, but he'll always be Marky Mark to me) yanks his e-Brake and rips out a nice drift around a corner to our immense viewing pleasure.

My friend, to whom I'm always boasted about the divine greatness of the SVX, turns and says, "Can your SVX do that?" Of course, I replied, "Pffft, I do that like three times on the way to the grocery store, sucka!"

Later I had to admit to myself though that I don't know if such a thing is possible. So I posit to those here who might have more experience in such matters the following:

1: Would the SVX stock handbrake be able to handle being yanked while at speed or would it rip right out the bottom of the car or worse?

2: How would the AWD and heftier than normal weight of our fine automobiles affect a drift on normal, dry pavement?

Not that I ever plan to put such knowledge to use with my immaculate baby, but when it comes to defending her honor and abilities, I like to have my basis covered.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:23 PM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
I would think that locking up the rear wheels and keeping the fronts moving would mess the transfer clutches up big time. The only way would be put the FWD fuse in. Therefor separating the front and rear wheels.

You could wire a relay or something to disconnect the rear wheels whenever the e-brake is pulled up.

But I would say don't try it. AWD drifts are fun in the snow.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
I have seen this maneuver done in person, but only and always with a RWD car with manual transmissions, preferably with a limited-slip differential. Cars with a handbrake on the rear wheels can enter a controlled turning skid by shifting the car into second gear, employing the handbrake, locking the wheels and turning the steering wheel sharply in either direction. This maneuver can also be called a "bootleg turn".

You may also be referring to the "Handbrake/ebrake Drift". This technique is pretty straightforward; pull the handbrake to induce rear traction loss and balance drift through steering and throttle play. Some people debate the fact that if using the handbrake creates an actual drift, or just a power slide.

This is generally the main technique to perform a controlled drift in a FWD vehicle. This is one the first techniques beginners will use as their cars are not powerful enough to lose traction using other techniques.

I have never seen either of these methods successfully used with AWD

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 02-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I've done it multiple times at speed but I guess that's another clue as to why my AWD is busted.
Or the AWD was busted first and that's what made it possible.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:57 PM
Parts Hook-Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
I've done it multiple times at speed but I guess that's another clue as to why my AWD is busted.
Or the AWD was busted first and that's what made it possible.

Haha...the world may never know.

Annapolis, MD 21401
443-837-1422

www.AnnapolisSubaru.com

Jackie.Whetzler@AnnapolisSubaru.com
Old 02-23-2006, 04:03 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
I had a boyfriend years ago when I was a dumb teenager who thought he could pull off a 90 degree turn in his Ford EXP using the e-brake. He pulled it off all right, but we ended up in the ditch and I ended up in the hospital.

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 02-23-2006, 04:34 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
hijack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thndrmtn92svx
I had a boyfriend years ago when I was a dumb teenager who thought he could pull off a 90 degree turn in his Ford EXP using the e-brake. He pulled it off all right, but we ended up in the ditch and I ended up in the hospital.
i haven't seen a ford exp in years. i had an opportunity to buy a low mileage 2 seater car for very little money, several years ago. i was hoping for a honda crx or toyota mr2, but it ended up being a ford exp. needless to say, i didn't buy it.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 02-23-2006, 04:46 PM
SilVerXtc

I think the SVX is to heavy and the AWD would make it too hard to do on dry pavement. You could probably pull it off on gravel. I've done it in my SVX in a icey parking lot. I used to pull e-brake slides all the time on gravel and ice allot in my Forester though. I never hurt the AWD and the forester 5-speed is still working great now in my SVX.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Phil & Belha

I used to do this all the time when we did autotest competitions in our Justy. Great fun, but it only worked in FWD mode. The Justy had no centre diff, so if you locked the back wheels in 4WD mode then it also locked the front ones by way of the prop shaft and the car would just skid to a stop.

In my limited experience, I've found the best cars for "handbrake turns" are FWD with manual gearboxes. It helps if you pump the rear tyres up to about 45PSI too.

I've never managed it in the SVX. With the transmission sending 65% of the engine torque to the back wheels, the handbrake is too weak to lock them up.

I've managed to swing the back of the car with "lift off" oversteer, but it's not easy to unbalance this car.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 02-24-2006, 01:14 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I've never tried it with the 4EAT but it does work with the 5MT. I still don't know why the tranny doesn't think the front tires are spinning and lock the center diff similar to the Justy experience.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:18 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
I've never tried it with the 4EAT but it does work with the 5MT. I still don't know why the tranny doesn't think the front tires are spinning and lock the center diff similar to the Justy experience.
Maybe it knows when the handbrake is on and compensates.

---
Blah nevermind. Missed the part where you were talking about the 5mt.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 02-24-2006 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:39 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Works with the awd 4eat also.
Don't try it for the first time in an svx anyone... it'll be a lovely mess.

*closed track, professional driver of course...
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 02-24-2006, 02:56 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
Maybe it knows when the handbrake is on and compensates.
AWD has a center diff. the 4WD doesn't (locked front and rear)
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 02-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Roger that, kthx.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg werd.JPG (36.1 KB, 97 views)