Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 08-13-2005, 11:57 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nobody Send a message via MSN to Nobody
Strange noise on sharp turns

Hi all,
recently I have solved problems with transfer valve and bearings at VTD. Now it is time to solve my other problem. I have thought it is partly connected to my tranfer valve problems but it seems it is someting else. On sharp turns I can hear and feel strange metal to metal knocking sound, asuming from front right. It mostly occures when I am turning sharply to the left from complete stop. It does not ocure when driving and sharply turning, it sometimes does it to the right side turns as well and when I really fast press gas pedal on stright as well. This problem I am having from the time I have bought my car, 15000km ago. I decided to let it go worse to easily identify the problem. I was discussing this with my mechanic and we have no idea what it could be. First idea was bad transfer valve and worn transfer plates but as I let it check and replace the problem is still there. Any idea?
Front diff? I suppose not when I did on it over 15000km and I think it would die much more sooner. Tranny was rebuild, front diff checked and it was doing before and after trany rebuild with no difference...
Any chassis thing? I know I have to replace all "consumables" on both front wheels and on right rear one.
We have roughly checked it from below but no visible demage or visible wear-outs. It is really metal knocking sound and I can as well feel it, someting like in 2WD with some system like TractionControl which brakes or not distribute power on one wheel.
As I was rebuilding engine both half-axis/shafts checked and no demage or wear-out noticed...
Any idea strongly appreciated

Thax all, Petr
Old 08-15-2005, 12:56 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
That noise is commonly associated with bad front axles.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:58 PM

Yep, thats one think it could be. But as I had my engine rebuild my mechanic carefully checke both axles, on one there was demaged booth and was replaced but as he told both are in good shape. As this is realy problem find out from where the sound exactly goes (I can not swear it really goes from front, mechanic says from prop. shaft...rear prop. shaft bearings?) I will let them to thorougly test it next week. As it occures only sometimes I gues it is not axle as I remember with my other old cars I had it was doing all the time when slowly turning/parking and it was compleetly different noise. My noise is someting like knocking with middle-size hammer into axle or prop. shaft.
My candidates are CV joints or rear bearing on the prop. shaft at the rear diff. I am getting curious...
Petr
Old 09-04-2005, 05:52 AM

Have you isolated it to the frond axle? It might be worth pulling the 4wd fuse and removing the rear prop, then the car would effectively be 2wd and you could then say that the noise is definately from the front and not related to the rear driveline. Also worth checking that the heat shield inder the rear prop is not rubbing on it somewhere?
Old 09-05-2005, 11:12 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Petr

As Earthworm says, this knocking on turning usually means bad axles. Specifically the CV joint on the outside of the axle.

If there is wear in these CV joints, particularly bad wear, it is possible to check this by grabbing the axle [we call then "half shafts" here] firmly and pulling it in or out along its axis. If the joint is damaged, there will be noticable play, otherwise all will be tight.

I'm willing to bet you may have a bad bushing on the lower chassis subframe, that is causing a knock when torque is applied with the wheels locked over. This torque would generally not be as severe when moving, as the gradual turn-in will cause all the sub-frame isolating mounts to take up median positions. That is to say there will be torque, but not enough to shift the subframe over enough to knock, while moving.

The same logic could also be applied to an engine or gearbox stabilizer mounting. If cracked, broken or worn, one of these could allow metal to metal contact.

Jacking the engine up from underneath might well show you subframe or mounting isolator movement that should not be there.

Worth a look.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-05-2005, 01:08 PM
SVX Appeal

It's next to impossible to check a CV joint for wear - particularly without removing it from the vehicle, cleaning out all the grease, and giving it good inspection with feeler gauges. If the boot was broken, dirt got inside. It's hard to say how much dirt and how fast it will wear out the joint, but I've found that once a boot fails, it's just a matter of time before the joint fails too. Even if you replace the boot and repack with fresh grease, the slight amount of wear already there will cause the parts to clatter about and wear out anyway.

I would say that if you caught the broken boot very early, you could still have a lot of miles left on the CV joint, but it's rare for anyone to catch a broken boot that soon.

Drive around slowly with somebody walking next to the car listening for where the sound comes from. I'd wager the noise will come from the same CV that had the broken boot.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:42 AM

Hi guys, primarilly it was bushing, replaced now. We found out that there are bad as well bushing - center bearing on propeller shaft (still waiting for parts) which cause similar sound but going from center of the car (prop. shaft was not align properly), also water pump starts leaking (ordered). Simple problem means a lot of money with this car:-)
Petr

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: