SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2016, 04:02 AM

Alarm wiring 92 UK car

Hi folks

New member here with a recently purchased 92 uk market silver/black car

It has a few issues that I have to tackle so I have been reading threads to the early hours.

The car has had door lock holes smoothed over and relies on key fob to lock/unlock. For this it has had an after market alarm installed but only the feature for the central locking. I have yet to dig in and assess the wiring etc.
It also seems to have had another alarm fitted to it previous to that as there is a siren in the engine bay.

I found a thread on installing alarm using the security harness located in the boot (trunk) area. Now my car does not have a security LED in the dash so would I be right in assuming that it never had an alarm from factory and would not have the loom and plug in the boot?

If it should be there will it be under the shelf or in the wings?

Thanks
Jan
Old 04-07-2016, 10:52 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Alarm wiring 92 UK car

Hi Jan, UK cars did not have any factory fitted alarms, or security devices. Later models like my 96 had infra red sensors in both door handles and an infra red key/button. It can also be programmed with a secret code system using the drivers door handle. My 2 JDM cars only have the infra red sensor in the drivers door. I'd be very surprised if there is any wiring in the boot- probs only US of A cars had this? M
Old 04-07-2016, 03:30 PM

Thanks for that Mal
Old 04-09-2016, 03:10 PM

if it was a US car being a 92 it would have the alarm wiring in the dash behind the glovebox, not in the rear under the shelf like the later cars have. The OEM alarm systems are known to go bad anyway, leaving no remote functions usable from the key fob, so once they go bad, it is back to unlocking the doors with the key. It happened to mine a couple years ago and eventually I will get around to choosing a basic alarm to wire in, using the rear wiring harness, so I can get a key fob again for remote unlocking. The only thing I see positive about having had the factory alarm is the wiring is all there for a basic alarm that will control the door locks.