How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania

Old 02-11-2004, 01:42 AM
The Molinator

"Dayle's suspension kit"

Has anyone out there installed Dayle's (Motorsports) Koni's AND drop springs on their car? If so, how do you like the ride?:
1) Would it be good for an old man like me who likes to drive a little frisky, but nothing radical (certainly not road racing)?
2) How do you modify the stock struts into a Koni unit? Please give DETAILS so I can evaluate whether I can do it myself or not.
3) If you like this combo or at least the drop springs, which drop springs do you recommend for me? [Don't say the old worn out stock springs just 'cause I'm old, either!]
4) Dayle said I should be able to use my old top mounts without replacing any of those parts. Sound OK? [Wondering, since everyone's acting like it's so great that Porter's kit has top mounts included?]
5) Please comment on either the Koni's or the Motorsports drop springs, even if you aren't using them together.

THANKS for your input!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 02-11-2004, 04:47 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Re: "Dayle's suspension kit"

Quote:
Originally posted by James Scott

2) How do you modify the stock struts into a Koni unit? Please give DETAILS so I can evaluate whether I can do it myself or not.

THANKS for your input!
Koni strut installation instructions (generic, slightly different for the SVX insert) http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...3F%3F/1680.jpg

I can't speak to the spring questions you have, but struts weren't that bad. Drill a couple of holes in the strut body (one to drain the oil, second in the same spot to mount the insert), drain oil, remove collar and cut off the top os the strut, load the insert in to the old strut body, and bolt it in place. I did the coil-over kit from Ground Control which required additional cutting and welding to install.

Todd
Old 02-11-2004, 02:09 PM
The Molinator

INSTRUCTIONS....oooooooh! good!

THANKS! Bro!!!

I hope some more of you have some opinions on this combo (or about the individual components)!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 02-11-2004, 05:45 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
James, I get the impression the Top-mount issue is of particular concern to owners of cars that have lived in the "Rust Belt". Anybody correct me if I'm wrong here, but a Left-Coast car shouldn't have any issues there, explaining Dayle's advice.

Glenn O

BTW, took my Legacy apart to do springs and struts at about 95K-miles and the top-mounts were pristine.

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 02-11-2004, 07:29 PM
The Molinator

Glenn O

THANKS!
Old 02-11-2004, 08:35 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Jim, Kings Win Baby! ooops!
By way of opinions about the components: I put about 80K-miles on a set of Koni's on my 91 Integra (ducks quickly!) and those are a quality product! They held up well, and I was able to basically restore the firmness at intervals by stiffening them up with the adjusters. From what I understand they can also be rebuilt when they just get too tired (so hang onto the OEM's!) for a fraction of the original cost.
I'll be looking real seriously at them after I drop the alotted $1200 or so at 120 K-miles to do Timing Belt, VCG's, seals, H20-pump, etc on my "rocket". If the wife wasn't watching so closely, and my youngest marrying in March, I'd be buying Michailo's springs and stashing them under the bed too!

Glenn O

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 02-11-2004, 09:57 PM
SubaruSVXSport

Have a Set of Springs (motorsport wh)

Hi Guys,

I have a set of Dayle's lowered springs.
I went 1.5 front, .75 rear.

Although I have yet to install them. Working long hours at work hasn't helped matters. I plan to have them in by the end of Feb, so I will keep you posted.

Impression so far:

Delivery was quick, packing was pretty good, but I could see a little improvement, maybe some more bubble wrap around the springs. The quality looks/feels to be rather good (quality: high mids to highs), compared to previous sets we have installed (mustangs, accords, 300z, (to name a few)). They are quite a bit thicker then the stock springs, but seem to match up well with the housing (quick eyeball check). All and all, I'm pretty excited about them.

Note:
Make sure to replace the rubber bushings, and the locking nuts (that means washers too).
Be extra careful breaking loose the locking nuts, we ended up stripping one clean off, luckily I have a backup set of struts.

I'll post back in a few days (hopefully) and let you know how it went.

Laterz,

DawgTool

PS: When replacing the value cover gasket, replace the bolts. Had one break off in the head, and ended up pulling the head and taking it down to a local machine shop. Funny thing was, is they had another SVX head come in for the same thing a few month before. It's worth the $$$ to replace the bolts.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:04 PM
check out www.planetsvx.com

more info

Hey James....
I can speak for me and my cars I have them on
rides great, installs pretty basic and straight forward
if you have a decent set of tools and a few hours..
If your car is in a rust prone area the 2 bolts that hold the
lower strut to the spindle can be a bear to loosen. Have
some penatrating oil around or a small torch.
As for cutting the struts, heres a few pics I found .
hope this helps too....

I can tell you this, I do offer a full moneyback garauntee
on my springs. Try them for a few weeks or more and if
you dont like them Ill return your $ in full (minus the shipping)
Cant do that on the struts though sorry. ..
If your mounts are okay and not split or making noise now
why change them ? save the $ for now....
thanks
Dayle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg koni1.jpg (106.6 KB, 145 views)

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 02-12-2004, 08:05 PM

another pic

next step on the Konis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg koni2.jpg (142.9 KB, 147 views)

Cars in the garage:
97 SVX Lsi
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

Old 02-12-2004, 08:06 PM

last step

before reinstalling the springs...
no welding needed....
Lifetime warranty on the springs too...

btw, thanks for spelling my name right
Attached Images
File Type: jpg koni3.jpg (99.3 KB, 140 views)

Cars in the garage:
97 SVX Lsi
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

Old 02-12-2004, 09:06 PM
Porter

James, clean out your PM box!
Old 02-13-2004, 01:04 AM
The Molinator

Junk Collector ! ................

I'm a junk collector >> I save pieces of plastic from an old toilet bowl flapper (Am. Std.) because I might need a piece of plastic that size later on to rig something else. A year and 1/2 later, I'm trying to rig a fuel pressure gauge (and later, a vacuum gauge) from my engine compartment, out the back of the hood, and onto my windshield, so I can see the gauge(s) while I'm driving. I can't see the gauge, because the windshield is so angled. But, wait, lo and behold >> I have a piece of plastic I can use by strapping on to the gauge with a nylon tie to almost perfectly prop the gauge at a viewable angle!

What's the point of this old man's pathetic little story!?:

I've got a garage, den, and desk at work full of things I can't throw away! I didn't know my PM box is full also!. . . . . . . . . .

BUT IT WOULDN'T SURPRISE ME.

I don't even know where to look!

Last edited by James Scott; 02-13-2004 at 01:07 AM.