How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2007, 07:45 PM

Exhaust: Loud, Quiet or Bhrrrrr?

What is your cheapest/best solution to your favorite exhaust sound out of the svx? What would you replace...how much...how would it sound? Sound clips welcome...
1993 SVX Anniversary Edition #64
Old 04-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
cheapest approach is to start with the main cat, going with a high-flow piece with slightly larger pipe (2.25) in/out of it. Changing things in front of the main cat just invites the dreaded "resonant buzz"
Replacing the stock muffler with a Stebro or Magnaflow piece has also been a good choice (okay, so you can also do some "interesting" things to the inside of a stock muffler )
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 04-15-2007, 09:00 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
I like the sound out of my exhaust... before the baffle in my muffler collapsed and it started rattling like a banshee (being fixed this week, by the way!)

My exhaust is custom. The pipes are up .25" from stock all the way from the headers to the muffler. There are two Mustang 3.8 cats where the stock cats usually sit (KuoH got cats from a 5.0 as I recall). There's a flex pipe just behind the join between the pipes, roughly where the third cat usually sits.

This gives me good flow, and a pretty good low-end grunt. Although it might not be to everyone's tastes, it does lower and louden the exhaust note a little on the highway... and the flex pipe does cause a certain amount of rattling under acceleration that manifests as a "hiss". Reminds me a little of the sound of a turbocharger... but no... no boost

This was relatively cheap. My stock cats were toast, as were my O2 sensors. Well, the left and center cats were toast... the right one was OK. Anyway, the whole custom job cost less than the center cat alone from a stock system. About a month later, that same setup successfully passed Missouri emissions test with better results than I had gotten out of stock a year previously.

Shortly after that is when I started getting the rattling muffler... it's definitely coming from the muffler and I plan to replace the whole thing. Of course, I got the salvage muffler and then stored the car for 18 months... but c'est la vie.

As I said, my system is not for everyone. KuoH got a similar system, as did Halistan (does he ever log in???)... actually, Halistan's the guy who got it done first when his 93 started having problems with the exhaust. I stayed with him for a weekend and we got my car done before he moved to Texas

I like the sound it gives... the extra power is nice (even if it's psychosomatic!) and really on the highway the engine noise / exhaust noise is no worse than my Volvo at the same speed that runs another 600-800rpm higher than my SVX.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:10 AM

Nice, what do these setups cost?
1993 SVX Anniversary Edition #64
Old 04-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Lover of Alcyones

Mines bone stock but comes back to two magnaflow mufflers at the end. Sounds AWESOME, especially with cold air intake. Guy said he paid 300 for the system, not bad at all, especially cause i didn't pay for it

Had:
91 xt auto awd(lt blue)
85 xt 4wd turbo 5sp(blue/white)
86 xt 2wd turbo 5sp(black)
85 xt 4wd turbo 5sp(silver/white)
89 xt AWD 5sp (white)
85 xt 4wd turbo 5 sp sold to Zukiru (silver)
86 xt turbo 2wd 5sp (silver/black)
Old 04-15-2007, 10:25 AM

Under $200

I like the sound and power of my exhaust. I took out everything after the main cat, and put in 2.5" with a y pipe to go to two glasspacks then out to the tips. It's real quiet when at idle, but once you get going it lets eveybody know that you have some power and sounds real nice.

'92 LS-L, exhaust, intake, audio, ecu 1V4?, hyper ground kit.
Next changes ... PAINT, fix engine problems, 4.44. (GONE)

'97 Impreza Outback Sport, magnaflow muffler, cold air intake, Alpine Type S, MP3/iPod deck, NGK wires, etc.(GONE)
Old 04-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Dayton-Dave

Registered SVX
Wan's exhaust sounded good to me....

I think with a manual transmission... an opened up (read as louder) exhaust note is something I would want on the car. This sound track of his sounded great! However, on an auto trans car I prefer a quiet exhaust.

Dave