How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-02-2001, 07:42 AM
LordLobo

Altnernate Transmission List

I noted a different thread where someone said they replaced their SVX tranny with a low-milage one from a wrecked outback for the fantastic price of $800. Of course, this guy did the work himself. Now, I have a friend who's pretty good with cars and has offered to help me replace mine, and the prospect of an $800 fix is very nice. [Note: list of pitfalls in the do-it-yourself tranny swap will be a different subject]

The question is, what other model's transmissions are compatable with the 92 SVX LSi's?
Old 07-02-2001, 11:51 AM
KEVINL

That was me. Just about any AWD tranny will work the newer ones are stronger but you have to take gear ratio into consideration Try to find 3.700 or 3.900 gear ratio and swap out the rear diffs

You may need a Tranny with a Electronic controlled Speedo the outback was but I think older legacys still used a Speedo cable
Old 07-03-2001, 10:53 PM

Question Tranny

So if you replaced the SVX tranny with one from an outback how is yours the only rear wheel drive svx?
Old 07-04-2001, 12:05 AM
KEVINL

Because the outback has very low gears I am able to use the stock rear diff with rear wheel drive
Old 07-04-2001, 09:28 PM

RWD

I think I lost you. What happend to the front diff and axels that came with the outback tranny?

Old 07-05-2001, 08:48 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Wink Electronic controled speedo

Quote:
Originally posted by KEVINL

You may need a Tranny with a Electronic controlled Speedo the outback was but I think older legacys still used a Speedo cable
The unit that changes it to electronic signal mounts to the cable hookup on the tranny then the speedo cable hook into it(Yes my 92 SVX has a cable and electronic speed sensor. I believe the electronic unit is for the cruise control).
Another thing to remember in doing a swap is that you have to use the original torque converter(have it rebuilt about $200) as the SVX has a unique flywheel the won't bolt up to any other torque conv.
I'm running a Legacy Tranny in mine right now, I swapped in the original front diff. and now a front axle bearing is going out. hence my new project of putting in a manual in its place, which will eliminate all the automatic problems.....hmmmm now I'll just have to worry aout replacing the clutch instead of the tranny
The Legacy Tranny(other than the torque conv.) was a direct bolt in swap, but as allready suggested, use the Legacy diff's(front and rear) and it'll be less hassle.
Hope this has been helpful
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 07-05-2001, 03:05 PM
KEVINL

then why do I have the outback torque convertor bolted to my SVX's flex plate
Old 07-05-2001, 06:09 PM

huck369

did you get my last e-mail with the postage price?
Old 07-06-2001, 05:42 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Question Torque Conv.

Quote:
Originally posted by KEVINL
then why do I have the outback torque convertor bolted to my SVX's flex plate
What year is your SVX, and what year Outback tranny are you using? My SVX is a 92 as is the Legacy Tranny I've got in it, on mine there was a BIG difference in the size of the T.C. as the SVXes was physically larger, maybe the Outback's have the heavier duty T.C. like the SVX, I don't know, haven't been down that road I could have used the flex plate off the Legacy, but I didn't have it.

And to SVXpert,
I did get your reply, now I've got to wait for my finances to loosen up and I'll get you a money order, e-mail me at whuck369@gte.net
with your mailing address
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 07-06-2001, 07:46 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Torque Conv.

Quote:
Originally posted by huck369

What year is your SVX, and what year Outback tranny are you using? My SVX is a 92 as is the Legacy Tranny I've got in it, on mine there was a BIG difference in the size of the T.C. as the SVXes was physically larger, maybe the Outback's have the heavier duty T.C. like the SVX, I don't know, haven't been down that road I could have used the flex plate off the Legacy, but I didn't have it.

And to SVXpert,
I did get your reply, now I've got to wait for my finances to loosen up and I'll get you a money order, e-mail me at whuck369@gte.net
with your mailing address
When my rebuilder replaced the Legacy transmission that someone had placed in my SVX, it was necessary for them to also replace the flywheel. The folks who'd replaced the transmission had also replaced the flywheel so's the Legacy tranny would bolt up. So, as Huck said, unless the Outback has an "upgraded" TC, it shouldn't bolt up . . . unless, of course, someone had already had a Legacy trans in your car.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI