SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-31-2009, 07:59 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
Re: How To Do the Bosch Relay Mod???

Ut oh. I'm getting a CEL now, and it happens to be related to having the clutch pedal down when the cruise is turned on. A couple of times when I've noticed it, I hit the dash cruise button (turning it off) and the check engine light went off immediately. It's super nice to be able to start my car 100% of the time, but I'd like to have this refined.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:30 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
It's staggering how awesome it feels to be able to turn the key one time and have the engine turn... every time.
Hell yeah!
It's been at least a year for me of the no-start.

The embarrassing parking lot incidents are now a thing of the past.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Installed the relay and it works great!!! A must mod for SVX
92 Black SVX LSL with B&M cooler & Aux filter. Small Car Shift Kit. Gone
94 Red SVX L FWDwith LSL Leather Interior. SOLD
92 Teal SVX LSL....with B&M cooler & Aux filter. Small Car Shift Kit. SOLD
95 Polo Green........With Trany Problem. GONE
Almost complete Rear Wheel Bearings Job with Pictures in my locker
My Locker http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?pearlm30
Old 06-02-2009, 11:26 PM

Thumbs up Re: How To Do the Bosch Relay Mod???

I installed it too, bye bye click-click-click...!?!?!?! start.
1992 Subaru SVX Pearl White LS-L 128k #7234
1992 Subaru SVX Pearl White LS 145k #2896
2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca Blue Pearl Limited 36k
Old 06-05-2009, 09:05 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176

Since this relay is carrying a decent amount of amps, around 30 or so, are spade connectors simply enough? Those female spades can become loose over time and the connection may deteriorate slightly. Perhaps there're better type of connections out there? Just throwing it out there for the anal types

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 06-06-2009, 08:44 PM

Spade connectors are fine for what we are doing with the Bosch relay.
I wouldn't recommend getting spade connectors made from inferior material, but, of course the spade connector is what has been on our cars since it's creation, for that part of the starter circuit. The amperage that goes through the actual relay points is not even close to 30 amps. We are not talking starter motor circuit.

My Bosch relay has been working like a bream with the connectors for probably 3 years... Interestingly when I started singing it's praises back then, many people thought I was crazy as a loon! Every time I start the car, and it always starts great, I say "Thank God"! The horrid click was a bummer. It does rain a bit here!!

Take care,
Keith
Old 06-07-2009, 07:24 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
My Bosch relay has been working like a bream with the connectors for probably 3 years... Interestingly when I started singing it's praises back then, many people thought I was crazy as a loon! Every time I start the car, and it always starts great, I say "Thank God"! The horrid click was a bummer. It does rain a bit here!!

Take care,
Keith
I owe it to you that my svx starts every time now.
Thank You!
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:32 PM

Bless you!

Seems sort of weird to get this warm glow every time we start our cars... but we do!!!!

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 06-07-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Spade connectors are fine for what we are doing with the Bosch relay.
I wouldn't recommend getting spade connectors made from inferior material, but, of course the spade connector is what has been on our cars since it's creation, for that part of the starter circuit. The amperage that goes through the actual relay points is not even close to 30 amps. We are not talking starter motor circuit.

Take care,
Keith
Giday Keith, good to see you back on deck.

Well we are actually talking starter current, and 30 amps it is. It only takes it for about 1/2 a second, every time we start it, but it takes it's toll on the rest of the circuit.

Break out your multimeter and check it for your self, here's a guide.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...9&postcount=83

All the best Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Giday Keith, good to see you back on deck.
All the best Harvey.
Thanks for the kind words Harvey. My new years resolution was to stop debating how things really work with my friends.

Hope things are going well with you and the family.

Thanks again friend, and you take care.

Keith
Old 06-12-2009, 08:24 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

Costs to do the mod (from my Advance Auto Parts run):

12 ft. 12AWG wire: $5.19
Bosch (not exactly Bosch, but it is the right one) Relay (Part #84601): $7:29
Box of ring crimp on connectors(14 pc.): $2.99
Box of spade crimp on connectors (16 pc.): $2.99

Total cost: $18.46 (before sales tax)

You'll also need a wire cutter and/or crimper. Something to cut the wires and something to crimp the connectors. My tool happened to be both.

I cut one of the pieces of wire about 10 inches long (from the relay to the starter).

The next piece of wire from the relay to the battery was about 2ft long.

The last piece of wire from the relay to a ground (I chose a mounting point on the front of the engine) was about 2.5-3ft long.

I mounted the relay on one of the bolts that holds up the cruise control vacuum piece. It's a nice location (as per the svx-iw instructions).

The toughest part was trying to find where to install the connector from the relay to the starter. I didn't pay attention so I lost the location of the spade connector for a while. Basically, I felt around until I felt something like a spade connector and plugged in on that. From what I could tell, it was on the side of the + connector from the battery closest to the strut. It's kind of on the side/bottom of the connector.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 07-10-2009, 02:47 PM

Registered SVX

Bumped for the newkid, and for a couple of notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
The next piece of wire from the relay to the battery was about 2ft long.

The last piece of wire from the relay to a ground (I chose a mounting point on the front of the engine) was about 2.5-3ft long.
The battery links straight up to the starter; no need to run a wire to the front of the car when you can throw a ring terminal on a wire and place it on the starter.

Your ground wire is unnecessarily long, as well. The bolt you're holding the relay in place with is a perfect ground (get out your multimeter and check if you don't believe me), requiring maybe 4 inches of wire, and not running all around your underhood.

FWIW, this is still causing problems for my car. Keep in mind that I do have a manual transmission... I use the clutch when I stop and when I shift, which is something that automatic pilots don't have to do. Anyone with a slushbox who wants to compare notes will have to shift into neutral to see what I'm dealing with.

I still get the check engine light often when I have the clutch pedal down, and it ALWAYS goes immediately away when I turn the cruise off with the dash button. Also, lately at stoplights, the idle has been hunting with the cruise on, but it idles cleanly with it off.

I've looked at the wiring diagrams, and I'm not really sure how to solve this one. We're really changing things with this mod - at least for cars with clutches.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:57 PM

Registered SVX

In order to arrange an interlock, the cruise control circuit is grounded via the starter solenoid. When a relay is fitted this ground is via the relay. If the relay is of a sensitive type, with a relatively high resistance coil, the ground path provided is of much greater resistance than that originally provided by the solenoid and is therefore not effective.

It has been found that the specified Bosch relay, which is more akin to a contactor than a relay, has a coil with a low enough resistance to provide the required ground circuit. There should be no difference in respect of manual or auto transmissions regarding this situation.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 07-10-2009, 04:37 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
There should be no difference in respect of manual or auto transmissions regarding this situation.
In a wiring sense, there surely is not. The difference is in the operation. Shifting gears? The manual uses the clutch (activating the ground circuit) where the automatic does not. Stopping at an intersection? Most people don't shift their automatic into neutral at stops, and thus, they wouldn't activate the ground circuit, where, once again, the manual transmission would demand that the clutch activate the ground circuit.

It's kind of like not noticing something in your house because you never go in the room it's in. If you do activate the ground circuit (with the clutch) on a regular basis (also known as "all the time"), then any ill effects will be noticed.

This is my case.

The wiring we're doing here changes a circuit in its resistance - both as a sum and as a serial voltage drop.

As for the problems associated with doing this mod, I'm more interested in a solution that alters the circuit than living with them simply because I can start my car every time I turn the key, which is still a treat.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
A rise in temperature is exposing a fault, which is introducing resistance within the starting circuit switching, there being several points where this can occur.

A relay having less resistance and therefore drawing less current than the starter contactor solenoid, is not affected to the same extent. However it must be accepted that the fault remains and could deteriorate further, to an extent whereby the relay may not operate.
Not true...