How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-24-2001, 11:51 PM
still in love with Hannah

Keyless entry/security

I went and bought a new remote (so now I have two of them) and was trying to program them useing the instructions provided with the owners manual. However, it will not go into program mode. Anyone have this problem? and what did you do to remedy it?

thanks
1996 Legacy Outback-"Gilda" white with brown trim
Old 05-25-2001, 09:33 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
The instructions in the '92 Owners manual are bogus, sorry to say.

Here's what you do:

Turn the security system OFF (red light not flashing). Turn the ignition key to the ON position (without starting the engine), then OFF. Immediately begin pushing the security button on and off "rapidly" until the horn sounds and you hear a clicking sound from the glove box. Press the button on one remote twice (make sure the presses of the button are confirmed with the sounding of the horn with each press), then, press the button on the second remote three times (again, listen for confirmation beep). Then, turn the ignition to ON (without starting engine) and OFF again to exit program mode. Now, check your clickers. If the horn sounds four times in rapid succession and locks the doors, the security system is off and it is in "lock only" mode. If the horn sounds once, the system is on and you've locked your doors and armed the system. The horn sounds twice when you've unlocked the doors and disarmed the system.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-25-2001, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
The instructions in the '92 Owners manual are bogus, sorry to say.

Here's what you do:

Turn the security system OFF (red light not flashing). Turn the ignition key to the ON position (without starting the engine), then OFF. Immediately begin pushing the security button on and off "rapidly" until the horn sounds and you hear a clicking sound from the glove box. Press the button on one remote twice (make sure the presses of the button are confirmed with the sounding of the horn with each press), then, press the button on the second remote three times (again, listen for confirmation beep). Then, turn the ignition to ON (without starting engine) and OFF again to exit program mode. Now, check your clickers. If the horn sounds four times in rapid succession and locks the doors, the security system is off and it is in "lock only" mode. If the horn sounds once, the system is on and you've locked your doors and armed the system. The horn sounds twice when you've unlocked the doors and disarmed the system.
Umm, that's exactly what the little piece of paper that came with the car told me to do. Is there a reset button somewhere that I can push to get it to do the flashy, clicky beep beep thingy with the hey! hey! hey!
Old 05-25-2001, 12:00 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Well, there is one thing you might try:

You put your left foot in, you take your left foot out. You put your left foot in, and you shake it all about. And you do the Hokey Pokey and you turn yourself around . . .

Okay, enough nonsense (as if!). No, seriously, there is no "re-set" button, unfortunately. Did your other remote work before you bought your spare? Does the security system light flash on the button? The only other thing I can think of would be to disconnect the car battery for a while to see if that "re-sets" anything. Before that, you might try going through the "emergency by-pass" procedure outlined in the manual (that part is not bogus), then, try going through the programming procedure. Then, if that doesn't work, try disconnecting the battery. Those are all the things I can think of. Anyone else?

Wouldn't it be freaky if the "Hokey Pokey" WAS what it's all about?
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-25-2001, 09:50 PM

No, the old remote didn't work. I only thought about getting new batteries for it when I was at the dealer getting a new antenae.
No, the light is solid. I'll be doing the battery upgrade thingy ding tomorrow so I will be having the battery disconected for awhile.
And , yes, I'll be trying the Hokey Pokey just in case
Old 05-25-2001, 10:23 PM
zsvx

Quote:
try disconnecting the battery. Those are all the things I can think of. Anyone else?
I had my battery disconnected the night before I did the wiring upgrade. When I put everything back together my remotes still worked. Not saying it won't help program it (I don't know) but it doesn't seem like it will reset it.
Old 05-26-2001, 08:57 PM

Registered SVX
Yeah, I've had my battery unhooked for DAYS and did not have to re-program. Just thought it might kinda "shock" the control unit. The only other thing I can think of is removing the unit (but, I wanted to suggest it as a last resort) and opening it up and cleaning the "spring" and all the contacts on the wiring harness. In the past, all of those who've had their LED go "solid" have had to replace the unit or, it just "magically" started working again. Mine went south, I replaced it with a used unit. It worked for a week then, began to work intermittently. I removed it, cleaned the contacts on the wiring harness and the spring contact inside the unit (you might try cleaning all the electronics with a "no residue" cleaner from Radio Shack). I haven't had a moment's trouble since.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-26-2001, 10:04 PM

Ok, I'll give that a try. The Hokey Pokey didn't work(went all the way to the rear end part).
Old 05-28-2001, 05:27 PM

I took the switch out and proceded to dump the contents thereof onto the floor of the cabin Afterwards I cleaned it, and put it back into the place on the dash and it still is solid. Where is the security system located on the car? Maybe I can fiddle with it directly.
Old 05-28-2001, 10:37 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by 249SVX
I took the switch out and proceded to dump the contents thereof onto the floor of the cabin Afterwards I cleaned it, and put it back into the place on the dash and it still is solid. Where is the security system located on the car? Maybe I can fiddle with it directly.
Uh, I probably didn't make myself clear. I meant the Control Unit itself, not the switch(for being in the communications business, I sometimes have a hard time communicating). The control unit's behind the glove box. You'll have to remove the glove box. The control unit sits atop a round brace. You can identify it by its two "fuselike" screw slots in the front of it (one gray, one black). It comes off the brace with two bolts. It's easy once you get to it, but, getting the glove box out is something of a bear. I haven't been able to get the passenger's side brace out of the glove box, which got in my way, but someone posted the procedure on this board earlier. You could probably search for it. Good luck.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-29-2001, 12:50 AM

Quote:

Uh, I probably didn't make myself clear. I meant the Control Unit itself, not the switch(for being in the communications business, I sometimes have a hard time communicating). The control unit's behind the glove box. You'll have to remove the glove box. The control unit sits atop a round brace. You can identify it by its two "fuselike" screw slots in the front of it (one gray, one black). It comes off the brace with two bolts. It's easy once you get to it, but, getting the glove box out is something of a bear. I haven't been able to get the passenger's side brace out of the glove box, which got in my way, but someone posted the procedure on this board earlier. You could probably search for it. Good luck.
I found it. I'll give it a go tomorrow. Thanks
Old 06-03-2001, 10:19 AM
kvnobrien

Same prob

My car doesn't go into programing mode either. This happened after I had it a the dealership for a few months. I think the screwed with it. I have the same symptoms as 249svx and have not been able to resolve the issue. Let me know what the results of taking the alarm out.
Thanks,
Kevin
Old 06-03-2001, 01:55 PM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
Potential problem

I just got a new remote for my b-day and was eager to program it. I tried the steps a few times with no luck. Then tried again and it worked just fine. The only thing I remeber was different was that my foot was hanging out the door the first two times and the time it worked I was inside with the door closed.

Just my input. It worked for me

Chris
Old 06-04-2001, 11:26 AM

Re: Potential problem

Well, I think I might need to get a new one. Mine doesn't work. I took it out, cleaned it, checked the fuse, sat inside the car(both with and without the door closed), stood outside the car, sat in the chair upside down(hehe, just kidding)and it don't work. So needless to say, I need a new one Maybe I'll get one at income tax return time, but at any rate, the car still works and I'm not really worried about it. I did notice that it said 1998 on it though, so it isn't the first time it was out. Hope yours works for you kevin. Now it's on to the airconditioning problem

Matt
Old 06-04-2001, 12:01 PM

Registered SVX
<<The only thing I remeber was different was that my foot was hanging out the door the first two times and the time it worked I was inside with the door closed.>>

Yep, doors, trunk, everything needs to be securely closed when programming the remote and setting the sytem. I remember screaming, shortly after I installed the second unit. It had been two weeks and the sucker didn't work. I was royally PO'd, then, I remembered I'd popped the trunk to get my duffle bag out. Felt like a fool ('course I often do). Got the bag out, closed the trunk, hit the "blipper" and all was well.
Subaru Ambassador