Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-26-2005, 07:40 PM
Endangered Species

Send a message via MSN to -JJ-
More trouble

Yesterday i moved my car out of the garage and when i put it back in i thought for a second that first slipped a bit, so today i went down the street, and all was ok i guess (with no 3rd or 4th), i stopped turned the car off, then when i went to put it back in the garage, it started and when i put it into any gear it stalled...... what has happened now?????

Harvey ???

i wish i had the money to do a manual conversion

removed intake silencer, k&N pannel filter, trans cooler, 94 JDM 4eat, Noltec front swaybar mounts, Motorsport D&S disks with EBC Greenstuff pads
Old 12-26-2005, 07:49 PM
Inhabitant of Darkness

Registered SVX
Angry

sounds like the clutch. or would that be the torque converter on a auto tranny
//////////
1992 Subaru SVX LS~L Ebony Pearl JDM 6MT/DCCD
2007 Subaru Legacy Spec B. Diamond Grey Metallic
Old 12-26-2005, 08:33 PM
Endangered Species

well i got my car to the garage just now (pushed it.... i live on a property) and when i got there i thought... now ill just put it into gear and see what happens, and it worked! what the hell is goin on... arhhhhhhhhhhh, ok im done, it didnt do the stalling thing, i dont understand

i hope u read this harvey

removed intake silencer, k&N pannel filter, trans cooler, 94 JDM 4eat, Noltec front swaybar mounts, Motorsport D&S disks with EBC Greenstuff pads
Old 12-27-2005, 12:24 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Jake does the stalling happen only when you put your car in gears? is the case similar on P or N ?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.

Last edited by SilverSpear; 12-27-2005 at 04:04 AM.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:37 AM
Endangered Species

it only happens in 1 2 3 or D, it idles fine in P and N, and like i said it randomly happened, then when i pushed the car up the back, it was ok again confusing... (ok as in it didnt stall)

Old 12-27-2005, 02:27 AM
Kay McRae

@ Silverspear: Because I have Internet and he doesn't

He's going to have it revised for now and if we can find all the right parts and a mechanic who has the skills and the guts we'll put in a 5MT.

Huck's how to document helps a lot though.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:23 AM
Mr Soob

JJ, I forked out the cash for Subaru to do mine (again - talk to Freddie out at Penrith), and they swapped the gearbox over for me with a reco'd from a place in Melb. Apparently Subaru only have one place they allow to do it. I forget the cost, but it was four figures. I had it in the Monday, and back on the Thursday though. Not a bad turnaround.

IIRC it was more than one big one, but I had a major service done at the same time.

Call Freddie and see what he says. He should know you know us - remind him that you know me. He'll try to give you a good estimate. Of course it won't be the cheapest option but you'll be getting awesome after-sales with it.
========================
Mine actually lost 1st and 2nd, and I had to nurse it from Campbelltown to Parramatta like that
Quick chat to the Subaru guys, and the sequence was like this:

Option #1, Complete rebuild - buying the required internals and finding someone to do it for me.

Option #2 was the replacement reco through Subaru Australia, and

Option #3 was to send it to some place that would charge a bucketload to open it up, have a look and tell me what was wrong, return it to Subaru, then decide if I wanted Option #1 or #2.

Wasn't too hard to decide. Replacement reco was fastest and convenient. Oh, and +100,000km later and it still goes like a champ.
========================
As for ATF coolers, they weren't standard on Aust models, and I even tried 3 times to get one intalled - they are loathe to install it. However, with the hot summers here it is a good idea. I'm kinda sorta not worried about it because I need a reason to stop using the car for a short time *cough*5speed*ahem*cough*.
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
My Wanted List: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...178#post632178

Last edited by McTaff; 12-27-2005 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:47 PM
Endangered Species

Ok i have called a couple of places, im looking at a decent sum of $$$ for repairs, those that i have spoken to however are against a converstion to a 4.44, or 4.11, they wanna keep it original and upgrade the stock box.

One of the places told me if i wanted to to the cam work i told them about they could upgrade the stock box to have a higher stall and do some other things to change the ratio!

What to do what to do?

Old 01-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by -JJ-
Ok i have called a couple of places, im looking at a decent sum of $$$ for repairs, those that i have spoken to however are against a converstion to a 4.44, or 4.11, they wanna keep it original and upgrade the stock box.

One of the places told me if i wanted to to the cam work i told them about they could upgrade the stock box to have a higher stall and do some other things to change the ratio!

What to do what to do?
Yes Jake, what to do?. I can only say what I would do, and that is to rebuild the SVX box. The cam work, doesn't need a higher stall converter, in fact it would make the car a pig to drive in traffic, useing higher rpms to take off every time.

Other options would be to use a Liberty box with the svx 3.7 front ratio fitted to it, but the cost would probably be much the same, by the time they set the front diff gears up properly.

If the SVX box was rebuilt, useing the later parts, it should be trouble free. Your trouble probably stemed from the early facings that were used then. They were changed after 93, so it should not happen again. I would get the torque converter checked to see if the linings on the lock up clutch are flaking, as this may have been where the pieces came from that caused the problem in the first place. The ATF from the converter flows through the radiator cooler, bigger pieces got stuck there to block it, smaller pieces flowed through there to end up in the mainshaft to block the lube passages.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Endangered Species

ok, rebuilding the svx auto is what i will most likely do!, i have spoken to the builder of the svx auto in the Rigoli 8sec wrx, and he had given me a good price! which includes stregthening

My concern now is, if i later want to do custom intake cams, am i wasting money on fixing this box? or sould i put it towards a 4.11 or 4.44?

Old 01-05-2006, 04:24 AM
Endangered Species

continued in new thread:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30647

thankyou all who shared