Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-20-2001, 08:58 AM
Highwayman

1992 SVX Transmission Woes

Greetings All,

I'm rather new to the SVX experience and, consequently, to the network. I love the car, and the drivers I meet are always entertaining. But now I think I'm seeing the Dark Side of the SVX. Transmission problems!

I have many questions, but the main one is: how much did it cost to replace/rebuild the tranny? I'm thinking replace. I'm in Boise ID so there isn't a huge selection of authorized Subaru service centers. I think I'm stuck with whatever I can get here. I just want some perspective.

"Exactly HOW much shaft am I getting?"

"A moderate amount, sir."

"Well, so long as I know..."

To prevent this from happening again I would like to beef up the ATF cooling system (well, duh). I hear a lot of people talking about B&M coolers. Any suggestions about where to get one online or alternative coolers?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Highwayman <- Hopefully not destined to be "Bicycleman" or "Nodollarman"
Old 07-20-2001, 09:20 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Hahah welcome aboard. I just had to replace mine about 3 weeks ago. I took mine to the dealer (although it is much cheaper to get it done elsewhere). If I got it rebuilt (which is what you would be getting at the dealer) from another source, I was looking at approx. $1350, plus the hours of labor to take it out and put it back in. The unfortunate part of this however is that you lose your car for a prolonged period of time. The other downside is you don't get a warranty.

My rebuilt tranny from the dealer (which amazing he had in stock!?!?) cost me $3650 (including taxes) installed. I guess this ranges from about $2800-$4200 depending on where you live. The bright side is you get a 2yr/24,000 mile warranty (parts and labor) on it. The other good thing is that it can be taken to ANY Subaru dealer to get the work done. This is a good thing. LIke for example I'm taking mine to Canada this weekend, if it dies in like Montana or something, get it fixed there with no issues. Local shop and I would be towing it back to Denver to get the work done.

When you weigh it out, I think it's worth it. The other point is that we have pretty rare vehicles. If you have noticed most places have never worked one before. I can almost bet you as well that your dealer has even only worked on a few. I personally want someone that knows what they are doing fixing my car. Seems to reduce the risk of problems later downt he road.

Good luck,
Ryan

Sheesh looks like I wrote a novel.

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 07-20-2001, 10:03 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: 1992 SVX Transmission Woes

Quote:
Originally posted by Highwayman
Greetings All,

I'm rather new to the SVX experience and, consequently, to the network. I love the car, and the drivers I meet are always entertaining. But now I think I'm seeing the Dark Side of the SVX. Transmission problems!

I have many questions, but the main one is: how much did it cost to replace/rebuild the tranny? I'm thinking replace. I'm in Boise ID so there isn't a huge selection of authorized Subaru service centers. I think I'm stuck with whatever I can get here. I just want some perspective.

"Exactly HOW much shaft am I getting?"

"A moderate amount, sir."

"Well, so long as I know..."

To prevent this from happening again I would like to beef up the ATF cooling system (well, duh). I hear a lot of people talking about B&M coolers. Any suggestions about where to get one online or alternative coolers?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Highwayman <- Hopefully not destined to be "Bicycleman" or "Nodollarman"

Highwayman, again, welcome. I had to go the rebuild route (my story is somewhat legendary), due to the fact my dealer was wanting 4,600.00 for a rebuilt OE tranny. I've heard prices ranging from 2,700 to my 4,600 attempted shafting. I would have preferred to have had the OE rebuilt installed, but time and money prevented it.

You're close enough to Colorado. As Ryan said, the CO dealership keeps transmissions in stock (One fellow from Denver, during my debacle, said his dealer kept, at least, six in stock). If it gets too pricey where you are (say 4,600.00), you could always order one from the Denver dealer (I think I was told they were around 2,100 -- add about 250 shipping) have it shipped to Idaho and installed by the dealer there. Just a thought.

You can find the B&M coolers at www.summitracing.com. Good luck.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-20-2001, 10:09 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Hi Hiwayman,

I just recently got my tranny and different rebuilt and that digged a 4600 hole in my account. This is done in IL.

The tranny rebuilt one from Subaru runs at around a little over 2000+.

I don't have a cooler so I can't help you out there.

Lwin

isn't hiwayman a name of a really old poem?
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-20-2001, 11:20 AM

Re: Re: 1992 SVX Transmission Woes

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

You're close enough to Colorado. As Ryan said, the CO dealership keeps transmissions in stock (One fellow from Denver, during my debacle, said his dealer kept, at least, six in stock). If it gets too pricey where you are (say 4,600.00), you could always order one from the Denver dealer (I think I was told they were around 2,100 -- add about 250 shipping)
Good point. You may be able to order one in for MUCH cheaper than locally. If you do, order from Burt Subaru (located on Broadway). The other dealers charge much more they do. They are also the only dealer locally that has been able to get all my parts right off their shelves. Just tell them the guy with the $750 SVX sent you. They might give you a discount.

Ryan

Old 07-20-2001, 01:59 PM
carpedick

Re: Re: Re: 1992 SVX Transmission Woes

Quote:
Originally posted by nvrmore100

Good point. You may be able to order one in for MUCH cheaper than locally. If you do, order from Burt Subaru (located on Broadway). The other dealers charge much more they do. They are also the only dealer locally that has been able to get all my parts right off their shelves. Just tell them the guy with the $750 SVX sent you. They might give you a discount.

Ryan
That's something I wanted to ask you about, how did you get the SVX for $750? Anyways, not to get too off topic, I had just had mine rebuilt. Total price $3900, however I had it done by a local shop, so only a 12 mo/12k mile warranty. Had I known about the dealer warranty and all the issues that I had with the shop that I brought it to, I would've just taken it to the dealer to begin with.
Old 07-20-2001, 02:42 PM

I got from a Ford dealer that some guy had traded in on a truck. The car was overheating BADLY. It would run from approx 10 min then overheat to red. He had taken it to the one dealer in town (don't hate me for this Eddy) that truly rips its customers off. They told the guy that this was a sign of a completely shot motor, and that he must replace it. They quoted him $4800 installed. He said forget it and brought it to Ford.

Well my first guess, and Eddy's (Thanks again!) was that is may be a water pump. Ford didn't want to pay to replace a motor for it, so they sold it for what they gave the guy for it on trade in....$750.

Voila one happy 21yr old now an SVX owner.

Ryan

Old 07-20-2001, 03:02 PM
carpedick

Quote:
Originally posted by nvrmore100
I got from a Ford dealer that some guy had traded in on a truck. The car was overheating BADLY. It would run from approx 10 min then overheat to red. He had taken it to the one dealer in town (don't hate me for this Eddy) that truly rips its customers off. They told the guy that this was a sign of a completely shot motor, and that he must replace it. They quoted him $4800 installed. He said forget it and brought it to Ford.

Well my first guess, and Eddy's (Thanks again!) was that is may be a water pump. Ford didn't want to pay to replace a motor for it, so they sold it for what they gave the guy for it on trade in....$750.

Voila one happy 21yr old now an SVX owner.

Ryan
bastard....
Old 07-25-2001, 11:33 AM
Lowered SVX

i second the bastard comment......

i paid $12,500 for my SVX. $750........
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 07-25-2001, 12:26 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Can i join in on the second?

I paid 5400 -- then another 1000 for tires -- another 500 for rotors and pads -- another 4500 for tranny and differentials -- another 200 for leaking gaskards... B*

Enjoy your SVX.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-25-2001, 12:35 PM

Yes yes I am, and an evil one at that.

Don't be too mad. My car has cost me $5000 now...so at least the price is getting back into normal range.

Hehehe (evil cackle),
Ryan

Old 07-25-2001, 02:18 PM
Highwayman

Perspective

Well thanks a lot for all your input. This gives me some idea of what things are going for elsewhere. I was worried I was going to have to pay an arm and a leg (and then another limb), but I think one of the Subaru dealers I spoke with forgot to include the core refund. Made a bit of a difference ($4000 down to $3000)!

And thanks for the scoop on the ATF coolers, Aredubjay.

I am trying to make sure I look at all the options before sending it in, and all of this helps. Soon I hope to be back on the road!

Highwayman

P.S. I guess there is a poem "Highwayman" by Alfred Noyes from around 1906. Rather a good one too. I'd like to say that was my inspiration, but it wasn't. But now that you pointed it out...