Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2003, 02:07 AM
One teal and One yellow

Arrow svx got stuck in snow (2/16)

i always have confidence to drive my svx around anywhere under any kind of bad weathers....but not anymore since sunday night...wonder what'll be better than svx for snow?? ML500? *dream*

usually i have no problems for 7-9 inches snow even climbing 45 degree hills....we have snow storm these 2 days. the university, schools and restaurants are all closed for 2 days so far...really lot of snow..really very slippery...my svx was stuck at one restaurant's parking lot w/ about 10-12 inches snow...no way...i was trying to spin....forward and backward like 5-10mins...no, AWD wouldn't work out at that situation. 4 wheels kept spinning and rubber burning...no..no.....probably need a much, much higher and heavier vehicle. so had to call tow truck to give me a pull... (first time)

so is this the limit for the svx? have you ever got stuck by your svx? i believe my awd system is functioning very properly....the snow is as high as the bumper almost reach the headlight...you'll have problem to open the door. once you open it, you cannot close the door totally..you have to clear the snow along the door edge to shut the driver's door totally..

at this moment, i have no so much confidence to drive my svx around...it's easy to get stuck and wheel spinnings...even an small SUV will easily get stuck...well, i still love the svx as much.

PS: too bad, i didn't have my camera with me...otherwise, i sure took the picture...it was just bad...it just couldn't do it.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 02-18-2003, 04:40 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Unhappy

That's tough SSSVX.

The car is just too low set for deep snow.

Rally cars use jacked up springs and taller narrower tyres to cope. The SVX was only designed with highway driving in mind. It does not even have a full differential lockup, which might have pulled you out of your parking lot.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-18-2003, 04:43 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Lightbulb Chain gang

Just thought of a differential compromise.

If you could get chains on the front two wheels, they would probably pull you out, but you would have to keep speed low.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-18-2003, 05:22 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
The wide tires and low ride height of the SVX hurt it in deep snow, if snow is high than the underside of the car it has to push (shovel) the snow, not just drive on it.

My XT6 sits much higher than my SVX and has a locking center diff, along with narrower tires, and it goes MUCH better in the deeper stuff (have had one in about 14", and it went like a tank ), but I doubt even it would go in 2 feet of snow.

2 feet of snow....I'd just stay home
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 02-18-2003, 05:53 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

That is really stuck. The snow was just too deep and no doubt packed down from the other cars that used the lot. Sounds like you got good snow tires. What do you use?
Old 02-18-2003, 08:35 AM
1st one red, 2nd one black

stuck?

I've been in that situation. Its almost like the car packs enough snow underneath itself that it just spins the wheels, too much snow under it............this summer I plan on a dedicated set of snowtires ready mounted on stock wheels for next winter.
Sorry you got stuck.

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

The inventor of the doorbell did not own a dog.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:48 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
My SVX has been stuck in snow only once. It was in very deep snow and I didn't help matters by plowing through a fresh pile of it.

I got out, shoveled some out by hand for a couple minutes, and went on my way.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 02-18-2003, 08:53 AM
hotshoe50

deep snow???

WE have some 7 ft high snowbanks here in this wonderful (for skiers) winter of 02-03.

I have not yet been even close to getting stuck but there are a couple of secrets:

1) If you have snow to deal with, buy a good set of real SNOW tires, not all-seasons and not a mild treaded M&S tire. They just do not cut it in the deep stuff or on icy roads.

2) I have a set of Nordic (by Michelin) Icetrak tires in a 215x60x16 size. They are about 3/4" wider in diameter and 3/4" more narrow than the stock tires. They simply DO not get bogged down in deep snow and hold like tiger paws on snowy/icy roads. They cost $50.00 USD each brand new!!!

3) NEVER, and I mean NEVER waste your time spinning your tires especially as you described. First, its murder on the 2 diffs, second, does the tires no good and last will polish the snow underfoot into ice and then you are totally pooched.

4) Put the car into the lowest gear (first/second) and try to slowly move forward and once the wheels have stopped turning, try to move slowly in reverse. Repeat the process.

5) Last, since your first shot is likely your best shot, have a helper or two push at the same time as you try to move in each direction. If the snow is over a foot deep, carry a small 3ft shovel and dig a path for each tire in front and dig out some of the snow in front of the rear tires before starting the back and forth process.

Hope this helps!!

Hotshoe the winter wizard!!!
Old 02-18-2003, 09:12 AM

I haven't been able to find the wonderful tire down here.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:30 AM

How does that tire size work out for you? Any rubbing in the wheel wells?
Old 02-18-2003, 06:07 PM
hotshoe50

questions, questions!!!

Hi,

The tires are a house brand for Canadian Tire, one of our big auto parts suppliers:

The tires are awesome!!!

Regarding the sizing: there is a ton of clearance: no rubbing under any conditions: the only downstroke is the circumference: its about 2" larger than stock so my speedo is a touch off.

That said I simply do not get stuck or anything close to it...makes me feel like Tommi Makkinen (?) on the back roads here: I live 7 minutes from the place where I ski!!!!!!

Hotshoe
Old 02-18-2003, 08:11 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Just to add...

Nordic (Canadian Tire Brand OEM'd by Michelin) do have 205/55/16's, which have the same diameter as the stock 225/50/16's. $95CDN regular, but I know they were clearing them out a few weeks back for about $75CDN.

VK
Old 02-18-2003, 09:01 PM
SVXdriver_007

Re: deep snow???

Quote:
Originally posted by hotshoe50
WE have some 7 ft high snowbanks here in this wonderful (for skiers) winter of 02-03.

3) NEVER, and I mean NEVER waste your time spinning your tires especially as you described. First, its murder on the 2 diffs, second, does the tires no good and last will polish the snow underfoot into ice and then you are totally pooched.

4) Put the car into the lowest gear (first/second) and try to slowly move forward and once the wheels have stopped turning, try to move slowly in reverse. Repeat the process.....................

Hope this helps!!

Hotshoe the winter wizard!!!

Yeah yeah, what he said if your tires start spinning you're pretty much done for, with that said getting stuck in over a foot of snow isn't to suprising...
Just wouldn't happen to me
Old 02-18-2003, 09:35 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
Just to add...

Nordic (Canadian Tire Brand OEM'd by Michelin) do have 205/55/16's, which have the same diameter as the stock 225/50/16's. $95CDN regular, but I know they were clearing them out a few weeks back for about $75CDN.

VK
I have the Nordic Wintertrack version on my Justy. I haven't been stuck with it and I have tried!! I did learn that for some reason the Justy with these tires would go through more if I just let it spin. I tried this climbing a hill as well in a snow covered field with the same results. I don't know if this would also hold true for the SVX (I still have summer tires on my SVX)

My Justy is currently parked in a snowdrift for the last 8 or so hours. I'm hoping snow drifted over the car to give it a bit of a challenge after work. I'll grab a photo of the tread pattern as well.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:05 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Here's my pathetic attempt to try to get stuck today...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg not_stuck.jpg (93.7 KB, 113 views)