How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-16-2003, 08:29 PM
greg

Awd?

Okay so I have not seen my car for about three months... I finally got it back today. The same day it started snowing for the first time this season. I really got to try out my fourth new transmission in 9 months but...

It has been so long that I have driven the car in fowl weather I do not remember how the AWD acts. So, I was wondering if anyone has noticed a "THUNK" as the rear wheels grab in semi-hard acceleration?

It seems to grab for the first time, but it seems ruff, if I remeber correctly it should be smooth as silk... but it has been years since I drove it in snow and I have had such bad luck with transmissions that I could be overreacting to this one.

Any response would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
-G
Old 01-16-2003, 11:45 PM
jklmnopqrst

It is better to over-react than not act at all. If you have a new transmission than I'm assuming you have a warranty on it. If not, on your next transmission you should spend a little extra money and buy a transmission from a reputable place (Subaru dealer, or AAMCo). 4 transmissions in 9 months!?! That could be a record. I wish I could help you out but my SVX if FWD and I can't relate to your situation. Sorry.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:47 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
SVX'in,

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that your symptom is not normal at all. I own two Subarus with basically the same transmission and AWD - my SVX and my wife's Legacy. My SVX has always been well taken care of and the Legacy has clearly led a very hard life. Now, even though my SVX has a bad low clutch, the AWD transfer clutch is (and always has been - even after 133k miles) as smooth as...something really smooth...help me out here, guys...slik, or glass or a baby's bottom or something...whatever.

Anyway, if I'm on a slippery surface (snow, ice, etc), the SVX's rear wheels engage immediately and with no noise or vibration. On the Legacy, the front wheels have to slip some and then the rears engage with a light -thud-. On that car, actually, the problem has gotten worse and worse and has required more and more slipping of the front wheels before the rears engage with a -clunk-. I'm guessing that this is the transfer clutch wearing out and is also the road you're headed down if you do nothing.

If it were my car, I'd complain immediately and wouldn't stop until somebody made it work the right way. Maybe it's just an electronics problem. Maybe it's just a hydraulic problem. Either way, I don't think your car is working like it should.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-17-2003, 01:00 PM
SuperRuu

i'm with pockets..
that's why i have the dent in my car. rear wheels boom
right there threw the rear end out and into a truck..
no noise nothin,.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SuperRuu
i'm with pockets..
that's why i have the dent in my car. rear wheels boom
right there threw the rear end out and into a truck..
no noise nothin,.
Right, and I think that's a problem specific to cars with limited slip rears. The Legacy has an open rear diff, so when it engages the rear wheels as suddenly as it does, the back end doesn't have the chance to step out like the SVX can if it has this syptom.

My SVX has only stepped out when I've done something stupid - like too much power and steering input on a slippery surface at too high a speed. On any surface, from a stop, my car tracks straight.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-17-2003, 02:37 PM
alacrity024

the "thunk" noise you describe sounds remarkably similar to the noise i heard when my transfer clutches blew up. well they didn't exactly blow up, but they might as well have..

-adam
Old 01-17-2003, 03:45 PM
gcookaustin

Re: Awd?

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX'in

It has been so long that I have driven the car in fowl weather I do not remember how the AWD acts. So, I was wondering if anyone has noticed a "THUNK" as the rear wheels grab in semi-hard acceleration?

It seems to grab for the first time, but it seems ruff, if I remeber correctly it should be smooth as silk... but it has been years since I drove it in snow and I have had such bad luck with transmissions that I could be overreacting to this one.

Any response would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
-G
Living a mere few miles north of you in Knoxville, I had lots of fun going home on backroads and passing traffic jams and accidents on the interstate. I have never noticed the wheels to "thunk" if trying to peel out on wet surfaces, however when driving in the snow there I could feel (but not hear) several "thunks" when trying to pull hills, etc. I'm not sure if this is normal either, I had asked the same question in the Tech forum but nobody bothered responding to mine.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:18 PM
greg

Well I just got back from the dealership. They said it is normal (although I know better). this is my second SVX and my 5th AWD Subaru and all of them seem to ride smooth through any transfer of power from back or front or both. I just thought I would get another opinion before I raised too much hell.

Could they be overlooking some other problem that would coincide with the transmission. I have no idea what to think now. If they put another transmission in it will be the 5th in less than a year and I think there has to be some otherf situation, maybe a clog in the coolers or a filter that is clogged? Help me out what questions should I be asking and if the car is not on ice or snow it does not seem to do this so how do I demonstrate the problem?

GEEZ, I just want it to work!

-G

P.S. the security system has quit too and I asked them about it after following the instuctions here...I could not get it to work no matter what I tried. The light no longer flashes and it does either stay on or off but seems to do nothing whether lit or not.???
Old 01-18-2003, 03:33 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Re: Awd?

Quote:
Originally posted by gcookaustin

Living a mere few miles north of you in Knoxville, I had lots of fun going home on backroads and passing traffic jams and accidents on the interstate. I have never noticed the wheels to "thunk" if trying to peel out on wet surfaces, however when driving in the snow there I could feel (but not hear) several "thunks" when trying to pull hills, etc. I'm not sure if this is normal either, I had asked the same question in the Tech forum but nobody bothered responding to mine.
Sorry Garret, for the lack of response. I don't get a lot of computer time at home, run on solar and wind power.

Yes the AWD should engage instantly and smoothly. The TCU that controls the C solenoid actually pulses the clutch on in stages to remove the "thunk".

If it still does this after the overhaul, then I would say that the transfer valve is sticking, so that it does not respond to the pressure staging and comes on when the main pressure is applied.

The sudden application of the clutch can cause damage to the clutch basket that is welded to the back of the transfer gear. It can break the basket off the gear. This happened to Immortal Suby, I think it was him.

Take it back, tell them what I have suggested and you want it fixed before any damage is caused.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.