Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-14-2003, 07:11 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
The only thing that scares me about the Shuttle is the weak power supply. It would be fine as a desktop pc if you use all the on-board hardware but when you speak of running a P4-3ghz and a Gf4-4400 I would be a little leary. The newer video cards use a lot of juice and the 230watt PS in the shuttle is barely enough to run a P4. It would not be enough to run the AMD procs as they require at least 250watts and prefer 300 - 400 watts. The size would be fantastic for LAN parties and my next box will be an excercise in smallness and power. Currently my main PC is a "riced-out" AT fulltower converted to ATX format with dual power supplies, 11 fans, lexan side panel/door, neons and a bunch of other stuff. It's extremely weak in brain power though and I am long overdue for an upgrade. Lugging it to LAN parties SUCKS!

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:26 AM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
Guess what, the shuttle only has a 160watt PS.
But you have to remember how people rate watts.
You will probably find that your more lekely to blow a no-name brand 400w PS than a good quality 250w PS. The manufacturur tells the consumer what the power rating is, nobody tests them, just places like tomshardware.com, pcmagazine, etc.

The Power gets used up by Fancy inteface cards, lots of older harddrives, but you are right, a good video card and a 3Ghtz should probably use up all of the 160watts this thing has.

My supplier has another brand with a built in handle, and it has a PS that looks identical to the shuttle's, but is rated 250w.

So you be the judge.
I know for a fact that people blow PS's and they have to be replaced, but its not usually from loading it up too much, but from defective(cheap) hardware.

Oh, and have you seen those neet 3 color led clear chassis fans?

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 01-16-2003, 07:11 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Re: OT: Computer Question

Quote:
Originally posted by petesvx2
everytime i close a window, a prompt pops up and says: "Stop Statement Encountered". it has never done this before, anyone think i have a virus or something?
Do you have a program called NetRest installed on your computer? That program is known to cause that error.

http://www.loucan.com/nrfaq.htm
Old 01-21-2003, 07:38 PM
LagunaChris

Computers are like anything other device. Keep them clean,(internally as well as system-wise) just for example ;excessive dust build up holds static, although sometimes not enough to cause any great damage, (although at times it can) it can be enough to make your system do bizarre things. Run maintainance, defrag now and then, run maintainance software...systemworks for example does fine for me( I suggest running the utilities from disk and not installing them), clean out old junk ;registry entries that have been left behind, dll's that have been left behind...etc. Follow certain guidelines and precautions when installing software and hardware and they do fine and are plenty reliable.There are those of you that are already wise to this, I just thought I would throw that out there for the ones that may not be. Also...I have plenty of nerdy friends that have both platforms. They both have their goods and bads.

Try this Pete

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q190177

Last edited by LagunaChris; 01-21-2003 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-22-2003, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LagunaChris
Computers are like anything other device. Keep them clean,(internally as well as system-wise) just for example ;excessive dust build up holds static, although sometimes not enough to cause any great damage, (although at times it can) it can be enough to make your system do bizarre things.
I agree. Read this thread of mine to illustrate that point.
http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...hreadid=129500

Last edited by DavieGravy; 01-22-2003 at 01:24 AM.