How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-02-2001, 12:27 PM
vettn

Transmission question .

I have a 94 FWD SVX, and since I bought it, it was running great. The tranny was shiffting very smooth. Couldn't even tell when it shifted. Anyway, last night I got on the expressway, everything was cool, then I cought some traffic and had to stop. When I started moving again, and the car shifted into second, it sort of jerked the car a little. I didn't pay any attention to it, util it started doing it at every shift. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 07-02-2001, 08:48 PM
vettn

Ok, found the problem. It was the stupid resistor. I kind of fixed that my way, works for now. But I decided to also change the filter and put some fresh fluid in there. Now, the manual states that for trans fluid and filter change you should need about 3 quarts of fluid. So I put the 3 quarts in, check the fluid level, looks like nothing is there. So put the car in drive, and it won't move. I put another 2 quarts in, the car drives awsome, shifts good, but when I check the fluid level, it's still a little low. So, I put a little more then 5 quarts total in, and it still needs a little more. Is there a mistake in the manual? How much do you guys usually put in there when changing the fluid and filter? Thanks.
Old 07-02-2001, 11:29 PM
sith

Hmm, I think I have a semi-similar issue - which resistor do you mean and how did you fix it... ? Any Info would be great..
Old 07-03-2001, 07:13 AM
LordLobo

blksvx knows how, I need that too.
Old 07-03-2001, 07:41 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by LordLobo
blksvx knows how, I need that too.
The resistor he's speaking of, is the one behind the battery. If it has actually gone south, it is replacable with (I believe) a resistor from the legacy. Do a search on the Yahoo messages to find the message pertaining to the retrofit. The person who posted, I believe was richeich93.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-03-2001, 09:28 AM
picklesbitch

Legacy?

[
The resistor he's speaking of, is the one behind the battery. If it has actually gone south, it is replacable with (I believe) a resistor from the legacy.

Someone here, or maybe on Yahoo has stated that you can go to Radio Shack, get a resistor with the same value, and with a little soldering replace a bad one for just a few dollars. I spent around $90 for mine from a local dealer.
Mike
Old 07-03-2001, 10:17 AM
vettn

It was the one behind the battery. I was cheap and didn't want to go and buy one, so I slightly modified the broken one. It's not a good fix, but works for now. I will replace it with a 9-14ohm resistor that you can buy from any electronic store. I took mine out and on the bottom of it I could see two small cracks. I broke the resistor in two at the crack line. Have to be careful no to break the conductor inside. One of the little wires inside was broken off. I just pulled it all the way to the connector and soldered it there. Then I took some electrical tape, and taped it around so it won't fall apart. Then I put it back into the metal bracket. It should be between 9 and 14 ohms, mine is now showing 9.8 Ohms. It's a cheezy fix, but at least I know what was wrong without spending the money for it.
Old 07-03-2001, 10:39 AM
sith

One last question ... by "behind the battery", does that mean in the sense that you would be looking past the battery, in the direction of the rear of the car, or you would be looking to the right of the battery, in respect to the rest of the car? Or, more directly, is it the connector running to the metal plate thats bolted to the right side of the car?
Old 07-03-2001, 10:50 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
yes. It is Sith. If it goes south, you should also get a power light that blinks, pointing back to sol. module A.
Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-03-2001, 11:17 AM
vettn

The power light didn't flash on mine. When I checked the codes it did show the Solenid A error code. When I checked the resistance of the resistor though, it was at infinity.
Old 07-03-2001, 11:56 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by sith
One last question ... by "behind the battery", does that mean in the sense that you would be looking past the battery, in the direction of the rear of the car, or you would be looking to the right of the battery, in respect to the rest of the car? Or, more directly, is it the connector running to the metal plate thats bolted to the right side of the car?
In relation to the front of the car, if you look to the front of the battery (identified as the side of the battery that faces the engine), the reverse of that would be the "rear" of the battery. The resistor is, therefore, "behind" the battery and attached to the driver's side fenderwall with an odd little bracket. Can't miss it.

What? You want me to draw you a picture? OK.http://y42.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/sh...c=bc%26.view=l
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-03-2001, 12:34 PM
sith

Erf, maybe I'm braindead, but is there a trick or something to get the wire out of the resistor? I can't seem to get it loose to check the ohms...

Pull harder?
Old 07-03-2001, 12:42 PM
vettn

sith. You should be able to check the ohms at the connector itself. If it shows infinite or open circuit, then you have a broken wire INSIDE the resistor. If it show between 9 and 14 ohms, it's OK. If won't be able to just pull the wire out. There probobly is about a foot or more of wire spiral wound inside the ceremic core. I might just have got lucky and the wire was broken where I cracked the core of the resistor. If you do break the resistor in half, check the resistance for each of the sides (left side wire - to left side of the connector, and right-wire to the right side of the connector), that will let you know where the wire is broken.

Wow, this is though to explain. Wish I had pictures, but I didn't think about that.

Last edited by vettn; 07-03-2001 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-03-2001, 12:49 PM
sith

I guess I should clarify - i mean how do I get the connector out? I assume i need to pull that to get in with my multimeter to check the resistance?
Old 07-03-2001, 12:53 PM
vettn

sith. Yes, you have to take the connector out. There is a plastic tab (towards the fender). Need to press that in and pull the connector out.