How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-16-2002, 10:29 AM
clarkerussell

Squealing belts...

I replaced both Serpentine belts and my car STILL makes a HORRIBLE squaling noise. It is more promenent when I turn the steering wheel, so I think I might not have tightened the belt enough. Does this sound realistic, or do I have a bigger problem? Thanks.

Clarke
Old 12-16-2002, 10:43 AM

This could be a case of the power steering reservoir O ring failure. I have never experienced it but it is apparently very common. Do a search and I think that there are instructions on its replacement.

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:58 AM
Boone

Just sounds like a loose belt. You should only be able to deflect the belt about a quarter inch at it's longest span. The O ring fix has different symptoms.
Old 12-16-2002, 01:18 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
If it's the belts slipping, you should be able to see one or more of the pulleys stop for an instant while the squeal occurs. Just have somebody else turn the steering wheel while you watch the belts/pulleys. Then you can see what pulley it is, and tighten the belt around that pulley (since the sound is related to turning the steering wheel, you'd probably be safe just watching the pulley on the PS pump). If that doesn't work, then I don't know what you should do. Maybe you can take all the tension off of the belt that was slipping, and try to turn the pulleys by hand. If one won't turn easily, you may have a bearing problem? Now, I'm one that doesn't like to see mis information here, so ignore the bearing part until BEAV confirms or denies it I would say PS o-ring could be a culprit too, just from what I've read in the past.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 12-16-2002, 03:20 PM
alacrity024

I fixed my PS o-ring and then had my mechanic replace the belt. This stopped the squealing and skipping for about a day. Then it started whining again.. turns out the belt had stretched and needed to be tightened down again. This actually happened about twice more before it finally went away for good. As winter has set in, the belt has started slipping again when the car is cold..

-Adam
Old 12-17-2002, 07:04 AM
clarkerussell

Yep... it's slipping.

Well, my belts squeal constantly now. When I get out of the car I smell burnt rubber.... I need to adjust the belt, but I don't know the proper procedure. Can someone please enlighten me? Thanks.

Clarke
Old 12-17-2002, 08:21 AM
Alcyone SVX LSL

I am not going to post a long way of tightening your own belts, i have been lazy so far and had the shop that put the belts on retighten them. I would sugest the same if they put them on with in the last 2 weeks of so they should be willing to get them right for you for free, should take them 10-20 min and you dont even get dirty. I had enough fun fixing other things on the car let them do it if they will do it for free.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:36 AM
Boone

Check out this picture from the how-to locker. http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/1168.doc Let's hope that the belt isn't too damaged from all the slippage. Mebbe you need another new one. B.
Old 12-17-2002, 12:35 PM
clarkerussell

Belt size

Does anyone know the correct belt size? The ones I bought at Autozone have a different code on them. I know the vendor code is going to be different, but below that is a more standard code.. One was 4V650 and the other was 5V880 or something like that.. I'm assuming that's 4 ribs, and 650 millimeters and 5 ribs, 880mm or something like that... Thanks.

Clarke
Old 12-18-2002, 08:47 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Belt up

Clarke,

The listed code for the Alternator/power steering belt is 809218210

The size for this belt is marked as 18x5.8x880.

The last bit is the length, and your 5V880 should have done the job. Probably it was not tightened up enough to begin with. Tightening it up now will probably fix it OK. The heat from the squealing will probably shorten the life of it, but should be OK.

When you have it off, turn the belt inside out and bend it around your finger. If the V sections split, then heat has damaged it, throw it away fit a new one.

The AC belt size is 4PK 855, in case you are changing both.

I like Gates belts, they are high specification. No I don't work for them, just had a lot of experience using industrial ones, they never gave trouble.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-18-2002, 09:09 AM
clarkerussell

Fixed...

As suggested, the belt tensioner was not tight at all. The belt had over an inch of deflection and I could almost peal it off the pulley by hand. I probably got 15 turns out of it until I felt enough resistance to make me happy. No more embarrassing squealing for me!

Thanks for the belt part numbers, I feel better about them now...
Old 12-18-2002, 11:19 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
OK Clarke, you are welcome.

There is a fair load on that belt with the alternator and the power steering, which is why it has 5 grooves. Needs to be tight.

Glad you are sorted.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl