Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-19-2014, 12:31 PM

Ignition Coil Connector removal woes

I got a "misfire on cyl 4" code and I diagnosed it as a bad coil on that cylinder. No problem there. Ordered the coil, got the coil, figured 30 minutes maybe 45 to replace the coil and everything would be good. Now the area where the driver's side coil connectors are is tight and I have big hands so I knew it wouldn't be a walk in the park to unclip the coil but I never expected the epic battle that ensued.

Yes, I know you have to push the little tab on the front of the connector toward the edge before it will unlock when you slide it. It's the sliding part that's not happening. Because the space is so tight it's hard to get a leverage on the connector. I sprayed it with WD-40 and let it sit for over an hour before trying again. I can't get it to budge, not even a little. Looking for tips here on disconnecting that thing so I can install the new coil. I really don't want to have to go to my mechanic for a job this trivial.

As an aside, being an engineer I deal with building structures and the temporary shoring needed during construction so I understand the tendency for over-engineering in the intrest of safety. No engineer wants to loose his/her license over trying to save a few dollars of steel. However to the automotive engineers out there designing stuff, please think about the poor slob who has to deal with your "vibration-proof" connector when the component attached to it fails. For decades the connection on spark plug cables and distributors have been more than adequate for billions or trillions of trouble free miles. The use of this connector is not an improvement, it's an annoyance and a nuisance. Editorial over. Thanks to anyone with tips that can help.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:46 PM

Re: Ignition Coil Connector removal woes

I managed to get the thing apart and replace my coil. I still think it's a poor design.

Jim