Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Engine Management

Old 07-13-2014, 09:14 PM

Registered SVX
Question "Easy mod" to get a little more fresh engine?

I have maybe got some maf problems whit my car. So i just woundring are the some things it can bee done to the car to get litt more HP like change injectors and maybe fuelpump, ecu (hydra ems) or is this just necessary if you going turbo or sc?

Thanks.

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX
Old 07-15-2014, 11:22 AM

Registered SVX
Re: "Easy mod" to get a little more fresh engine?

Is the nothing that can make the svx little more powerfull?

Maybe a stupid qvestion but what do the hydra ems do the svx if i bougt one of these? I understand that is difficult to tune the svx.

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX
Old 07-15-2014, 01:10 PM

Registered SVX

The EG33 is a well developed engine, there's quite little you can do outside force feeding.

The gas exchange is tuned for mid range and it's really good in that. If you try to gain top end you will compromise this. A heavy daily driven car with an automatic tranny and tall gearing really needs all the midrange you can get. Increasing the rev range has proven to have difficulties which are NOT simple to solve.

The stock fuelling and engine management can support app 250hp. The MAF will saturate around there and you will also approach the injector limits.

The best practical way is to force feed, but this is a rather complicated project with many areas to cover and - should not be entered lightly. At the very least remember to take your wallet with you ��.

If you will not do significant mode to increase the air flow you do not need an open engine management system. On the other hand if you are sure you will super or turbo charge it then you may well start and learn how to install and tune an open system with the stock engine first. If you get it to run as good as stock you've done a very good job.

Kind regards,

T
Old 07-15-2014, 02:50 PM

Registered SVX

Ok the option to tune the car is verry little. So it wont help to change fuel inj and maf to nismo and a diffret fuel pump to add a little.
Then you must go for turbo or SC. I really want supercharger but i think this is verry hard to get . I really like the ECU one. But this i can just dream on to get. hehe I got 5speed but i really think to change to 6speed.

I have find a shop thas offer the hydra ems to svx. But if its so hard to tune then i dont need this eather.

Thanks for answere Tapani

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX
Old 07-15-2014, 09:10 PM

Registered SVX

Yeah, you do not need more fuel if you can not get more air first - this is the key issue. The EG33 is a fine engine as it is from the factory, look at a same period 964 Porsche engine for example - 3,6 litres, 250 hp and 310 Nm of torque.

If you are not able or willing to do it all yourself then be even more careful. At least choose a system which has local support with experience from various applications - you may not find a shop familiar with the SVX, though, but I do not think this is a deal breaker. Most modern systems should be able to be used with the SVX.

But first, make a long term plan - what you really want - and what is street legal in Norway. Also, make rough budget for the whole project and commit to that.

Tapani

PS I did not realize you had a manual conversion. If the 5 speed holds up ok and your satisfied with the gear ratios there's little sense in going 6-speed. Close gear ratios are needed more if you have a narrow and high power band - which you don't. Enjoy the flexibility and strong midrange of the EG33 ! And, btw, the 6-speed weighs as much as the slush box - see photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5 vs 6.jpg (356.4 KB, 374 views)

Last edited by Tapani; 07-16-2014 at 01:49 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:15 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Port and Polish intake and exhaust passages if you are tearing your engine apart, ecutune chip with 300ZX MAF.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:21 AM

Registered SVX

Thanks for answere.

And dam the 6speed are big. But i really miss that extra gear when i driving on the higway. I have a 3000rpm when i have 100 km/h

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX
Old 07-18-2014, 07:52 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-svx View Post
Thanks for answere.

And dam the 6speed are big. But i really miss that extra gear when i driving on the higway. I have a 3000rpm when i have 100 km/h
You must calculate the total gearing in top gear for both trannies. This will define your revs at 100km/h road speed. There are several different final gearings for the 5 speed - this depends on which car donated the transmission. I bet there are a few different gearings for the fifth speed too. There are several subaru gear ratio charts online - find them and compare. Get the transmission code from yours (sticker close to the starter) and investigate .

One of these charts can be found here: http://rallispec.com/tech.html

Click the "Subaru Manual Transmission ID Chart". You will find the gearings and id codes for most Subaru manual trannies.

The Nissan 300ZX MAF is calibrated for a much higher air flow than the SVX one. This is utilized in the Stage 2 chip from Ecutune, which also needs bigger injectors. This is the setup I run in my low pressure turbo application. I chose this path mainly for the ease of applying the whole thing. I trust I might get some benefit from an open engine management system with extensive tuning. I may go this route if/when I find the time .

Please remember you will basically not get any benefit from these unless you can pump more than 250 hp worth of air thru your engine - which is, in practice - just an air pump.

Tapani

Last edited by Tapani; 07-18-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:18 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

The conventional six speed isn't equal to a five speed with a longer sixth - it's like the five speed with an additional gear in the middle.

The real way to get a taller sixth gear is to pick up the Legacy six speed transaxle that is more or less a five speed with an extra gear stuffed in it.

To the original question: Of two engines that I pulled the plugs from, both had the same malady - the plug closest to the driver was different than the other five. There might be a little freshness to be found there?

Old 07-18-2014, 04:20 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

[QUOTE

To the original question: Of two engines that I pulled the plugs from, both had the same malady - the plug closest to the driver was different than the other five. There might be a little freshness to be found there?

[/QUOTE]

A better (pricier) plug at the hardest location to change for fewer change outs?
Old 07-27-2014, 07:07 AM

the feel of a 6 speed when shifting sh!ts all over a 5 speed and its a much stronger box. i had an 05 sti and used to do 7000rpm launches all the time without issue.
93 Liquid Silver SVX - sti 6 speed with R180 diff, my05 sti steering wheel, sti alloy lateral links, 19x8.5 275/30 42mm offset front and 19x8.5 275/30 22mm offset on the rear, 6 pot brembo caliper with 355 rotors front, 2 pot brembos rear
95 bright red SVX
96 emerald pearl SVX about to revive
Old 07-27-2014, 10:21 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'E' View Post
the feel of a 6 speed when shifting sh!ts all over a 5 speed and its a much stronger box. i had an 05 sti and used to do 7000rpm launches all the time without issue.
Ok thanks

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX
Old 07-27-2014, 04:59 PM

Registered SVX

Agree sounds like just change the easy plugs and every other plug change do all. Seeing that most change plugs up in the 100,000 it was only changed once .
Old 07-27-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-svx View Post
Ok thanks
Rallispec do a 5th and 6th (.707) conversion kit for us$360 or you can get jdm forrester ty856wl4cc/7cc/8cd or legacy ty856wlfaa Sti boxes (for under au$1000 + shipping) which all have .707 6th gear and a transfer of 1.00 which means our 3.9 r160 diffs can be used, most of the US 6 speeds have a .756 6th gear but run a 1.1 transfer and a 3.545 rear diff giving a final drive of 3.9 later model US legacy have a .666 and .695 but run a 4.111 final drive
93 Liquid Silver SVX - sti 6 speed with R180 diff, my05 sti steering wheel, sti alloy lateral links, 19x8.5 275/30 42mm offset front and 19x8.5 275/30 22mm offset on the rear, 6 pot brembo caliper with 355 rotors front, 2 pot brembos rear
95 bright red SVX
96 emerald pearl SVX about to revive
Old 07-27-2014, 08:15 PM

Registered SVX

I must have a new gearbox anny way in this winter. And if i bye one its from UK. They are cheper to bye from then Norway.(so it will bee a JDM i think its called here) But i also see that is verry hard to get more HK from the eg33 if you dont go turbo or S/C.

So the 5speed is a good option. But i must say i think it have been fun to have a 6speed also. hehe

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX